Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will the Rangers' Late Game 'D-ployment' Look Like

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

What Will the Rangers' Late Game 'D-ployment' Look Like

Scene One: The Rangers lead the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1 with 50 seconds left and a defensive-zone faceoff coming. Pittsburgh has pulled the goalie and Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are all on the ice.

Q: What two defensemen are you putting on the ice?

A: It’s complicated.

Obviously, Ryan McDonagh is on the ice for as long as he has wind in his lungs. But, after being the obvious choice on the right side for the better part of a decade, Dan Girardi has been jettisoned off to the Land of Buyout Toys, and there’s not a clear answer as to who will be out there in his place.

The first shot, obviously, is going to Kevin Shattenkirk. While I questioned signing him in part because I don’t believe he’s a fit for this type of role, there’s plenty of value at his price. But it’s really difficult to trust the idea that he’ll be as successful with heavy, defense-first responsibilities.

Unfortunately, he’s never been consistently used in this type of shutdown role. He’s only had a defensive-zone start rate of 45% or better twice in his career. For comparison, McDonagh and Girardi have a total of three seasons below 52%. Two of which came when they were rookies with the other coming in Girardi’s second season.

Not to mention, recency bias aside, his own-zone performance in the playoffs was, generously, lackluster.

There was a litany of things that went wrong in this play, but the image of that soft backhander is haunting, especially since it was Shattenkirk’s second attempt to move the puck. This is the exact type of play that ended Girardi’s career as a Blueshirt and makes it hard to trust Shattenkirk in critical situations. He’ll get the opportunity to earn AV’s trust, but, based on his career to this point, it’s not a given.

Click here to view the article.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Smith or Smith, unless Bereglazov turns out to be a beast then you shift McD to RHD.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Could even look like this ... give us the cup already, lol.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/dr...422/c-52475703
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedForContact View Post
    Scene One: The Rangers lead the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1 with 50 seconds left and a defensive-zone faceoff coming. Pittsburgh has pulled the goalie and Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are all on the ice.

Q: What two defensemen are you putting on the ice?

A: It’s complicated.

Obviously, Ryan McDonagh is on the ice for as long as he has wind in his lungs. But, after being the obvious choice on the right side for the better part of a decade, Dan Girardi has been jettisoned off to the Land of Buyout Toys, and there’s not a clear answer as to who will be out there in his place.

The first shot, obviously, is going to Kevin Shattenkirk. While I questioned signing him in part because I don’t believe he’s a fit for this type of role, there’s plenty of value at his price. But it’s really difficult to trust the idea that he’ll be as successful with heavy, defense-first responsibilities.

Unfortunately, he’s never been consistently used in this type of shutdown role. He’s only had a defensive-zone start rate of 45% or better twice in his career. For comparison, McDonagh and Girardi have a total of three seasons below 52%. Two of which came when they were rookies with the other coming in Girardi’s second season.

Not to mention, recency bias aside, his own-zone performance in the playoffs was, generously, lackluster.

There was a litany of things that went wrong in this play, but the image of that soft backhander is haunting, especially since it was Shattenkirk’s second attempt to move the puck. This is the exact type of play that ended Girardi’s career as a Blueshirt and makes it hard to trust Shattenkirk in critical situations. He’ll get the opportunity to earn AV’s trust, but, based on his career to this point, it’s not a given.

Click here to view the article.
    Shatty is definitely far from a defensive stud, but this video shows him doing exactly what he's supposed to do every time he touched the puck. You can blame 3 other Caps and the equipment manager before blaming Shattenkirk.
    1. He gets to the puck behind the net with a Pen coming in hard. He doesn't try to be fancy and make a move. He wraps it along the boards to where his winger should be, and he was there, only he mishandled the puck.
    2. 2 Caps forced the Pen player to surrender the puck which resulted in a soft shot handled cleanly by Holtby, who for some reason didn't want to take a whistle when all 5 of his guys had their feet pointed at him. Instead, he shovels the puck to Shatty, who was also on his backhand, with another Pen bearing down on the play.
    3. Shatty's only play is to use the boards again. He did, only problem is that #8 was coasting a bit in the center of the ice, and couldn't get to the loose puck. He tries to chip it passed the pinching Pen, but pulls the shoot a little which is a bit surprising for a guy who loves to truck people.
    4. A backhand from inside the top of the circles with 2 guys on him? Really? Really Holtby? Stop.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Mikey, you'd be all over a 12 year old if they tried to clear the puck in the last minute of a game with TWO weak clearing attempts.

1.) soft clear
    2.) coasts
    3.) soft clear
    4.) watches weak clear
    5.) soft defensive play

Maybe he did "what he was supposed to do", but his execution was piss poor.

But, this is the defenseman we bought. These plays are all too common with him...which is why he will play 14 minutes a night.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Mikey, you'd be all over a 12 year old if they tried to clear the puck in the last minute of a game with TWO weak clearing attempts.

1.) soft clear
    2.) coasts
    3.) soft clear
    4.) watches weak clear
    5.) soft defensive play

Maybe he did "what he was supposed to do", but his execution was piss poor.

But, this is the defenseman we bought. These plays are all too common with him...which is why he will play 14 minutes a night.
    I'm not defending Shatty's defensive game, but how are those 2 soft clear attempts? Come on Josh, you know better than anyone that his fwds need to make plays there. He gave them that opportunity rather than possibly icing the puck which would have drawn the same Girardi comparison and criticism.
    1. Played the puck behind the net knowing he was about to get hammered.
    2. Where does he coast? He goes back to his spot after the attempted wrap.
    3. A) Holtby has to eat that for multiple reasons. B) On his backhand, with pressure, his wing needs to be there. Also, my U15 guys can throw it over the glass with no penalty.
    4) I might be able to give you that, but that's picky. He moved the puck expecting a clear and probably a change, he got neither.
    5) Hornqvist was surrounded. No way is that supposed to go in.

Again, Josh, I agree with your take on Shatty and your idea of his minutes. Just not on this play.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Mike is right on this one.
    Defenseman made chips to the soft area where forwards were, it's their job to clear. Any "harder" and it ends up on the Pens defenseman stick

Moderator Junior Division
    That's probably true, but G and Staal have never been given the benefit of the doubt in that regard. I mean, maybe they don't get enough credit for going up the boards and out when they know the forwards aren't going to make the play?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Mike is right on this one.
    Defenseman made chips to the soft area where forwards were, it's their job to clear. Any "harder" and it ends up on the Pens defenseman stick

That 2nd clearing attempt is pathetic. If the first one failed, next time, you rifle it off the glass. Youre already pinned in your zone.

at best, its a hospital pass. If it makes it to the winger along the boards, the dudes about to get run over by the defenseman.

im honestly flabbergasted that people are defending that second play, like the coach will show the video and say "this is what youre supposed to do"
    Last edited by josh; 08-18-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    That 2nd clearing attempt is pathetic. If the first one failed, next time, you rifle it off the glass. Youre already pinned in your zone.

at best, its a hospital pass. If it makes it to the winger along the boards, the dudes about to get run over by the defenseman.

im honestly flabbergasted that people are defending that second play, like the coach will show the video and say "this is what youre supposed to do"
    That's exactly what the defenseman is suppose to do. From age of Bantam on up, that's what is taught.
    "Up and out" went out of style with Grunge, and it's at best a turnover in the neutral zone, but also can be a icing.

He made a chip play right on the stick of Ovechkin, who had no pressure, who immediately turned it over.
    Those mistakes were both made by defenseman, and also a centerman who flew the zone too early.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    And FYI, when the winger receives that chip, he WANTS backside pressure from the defenseman.
    That creates a big hole behind the defenseman to get the 2nd chip out.

Defensive side of that play, you want cross pull pressure from the Pens centerman, which forces the Caps winger to try and "chip" around a defender who's sagged on the blue line.
    That is where the turnover typically happens.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    That's exactly what the defenseman is suppose to do. From age of Bantam on up, that's what is taught.
    "Up and out" went out of style with Grunge, and it's at best a turnover in the neutral zone, but also can be a icing.

He made a chip play right on the stick of Ovechkin, who had no pressure, who immediately turned it over.
    Those mistakes were both made by defenseman, and also a centerman who flew the zone too early.
    yeah well they just got scored on. Great job.
    show your team next practice what a great play he made. little weak wristed backhander up the boards... great nhl play

but "icing" or "turnover in the nz" are the bad plays...
    hmmm....

the guy gets the puck from the goalie, doesnt skate, gets pressured, panics and throws a shit puck to the boards with as much force as a 4 year old can generate, then stares and watches as his winger flails to try to get this "perfectly placed puck" out of the zone.

Literally, the only thing worse would have been scoring on his own goal when Holtby leaves him the puck

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I guess I'm not explaining myself well here.
    The broken play was a result of the wingers inability to control the puck, more importantly, lack of urgency.

That "weak" play is called a soft area pass and exactly what the defenseman are suppose to do.

He also forced the shooter to his backhand after. Anyways, not sure how else to explain

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    That's probably true, but G and Staal have never been given the benefit of the doubt in that regard. I mean, maybe they don't get enough credit for going up the boards and out when they know the forwards aren't going to make the play?
    Kinda how I lean. I always think such clears are weak and mistakes, but Mike mentions that the forward there needs to make the play. That exact play mirrors exactly what people complain about with Girardi and Staal.

Goalie totally has to stop that. He looked confused on the whole situation out there from start to finish.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    The broken play was a result of the wingers inability to control the puck, more importantly, lack of urgency.

That "weak" play is called a soft area pass and exactly what the defenseman are suppose to do.

He also forced the shooter to his backhand after. Anyways, not sure how else to explain

Yea, the goal was a result of the forwards and Holtby. Shattenkirk made the right plays.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Midget Division
    yeah well they just got scored on. Great job.
    show your team next practice what a great play he made. little weak wristed backhander up the boards... great nhl play

but "icing" or "turnover in the nz" are the bad plays...
    hmmm....

the guy gets the puck from the goalie, doesnt skate, gets pressured, panics and throws a shit puck to the boards with as much force as a 4 year old can generate, then stares and watches as his winger flails to try to get this "perfectly placed puck" out of the zone.

Literally, the only thing worse would have been scoring on his own goal when Holtby leaves him the puck
    I have the same opinion about icing and nz turnovers as you do. I'm at least you get a stoppage or time to reset. Never got why trying to make the perfect play where a bunch of things can go wrong in a shorter stretch of ice, was what you're supposed to do. It's definitely what the Rangers try to do though. .

List Maker BSBH Rookie

The winger wasn't there because he was breaking out on the previous failed clearing attempt. (Don't "wants wants want try" me for the d play but not the forward)
    So now it's just a soft pass up the board to the opposing d.

List Maker BSBH Rookie

Broken play? Holtby had the puck, and handed it off to shattenkirk, who had time...

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Next time Shatterkirk needs to pick up said puck, skate it gingerly to his wingers, and place on their stick.
    Also he needs to maintain a blockage surpassing what the Nazi's did to England, creating a safe space for them.

It's this simple, Shatterkirk got the puck to his winger under pressure, who turned it over.
    He then got his puck to the other winger who turned it over.
    And then Holtby was beat like a bitch with a weak backhand.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    [insert something stupid because i coached a kids hockey team once and know everything, plus something political]

Its simple
    they got scored on and Shattenkirk failed to clear the puck twice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast