• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

EDM Re-Sign F Leon Draisaitl to 8-Year/$68M Extension; $8.5M AAV

Kevin

I don't have a problem with it at all. I think for the longest time the market was precisely backwards, making young players play for pennies (figuratively speaking) during their most productive years only to award them a big ticket, long-term contract once they reached the age of 27, at which point they began their statistical declines and offered teams far fewer years of the same or similar production.

I'd rather pay Draisaitl $8.5M from the ages of 22 to 28 than from 28 to 35.

Well...yeah. But all of that is assuming that ages 22 to 28 merit such a contract from 28 to 35, on which there is no guarantee. So with a crystal ball of course it is better, but they could also be stuck with a Chris Kreider for that money, which would deeply suck.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I think for the longest time the market was precisely backwards, making young players play for pennies (figuratively speaking) during their most productive years only to award them a big ticket, long-term contract once they reached the age of 27, at which point they began their statistical declines and offered teams far fewer years of the same or similar production.

He's going to get paid from 28 - 35 too if performs halfway decent during this contract.

Well...yeah. But all of that is assuming that ages 22 to 28 merit such a contract from 28 to 35, on which there is no guarantee. So with a crystal ball of course it is better, but they could also be stuck with a Chris Kreider for that money, which would deeply suck.

There's no such thing as a guarantee, period. The point is that all the data over the last decade plus statistically suggest that NHL forwards are most productive between the ages of 21 and 27.

It's a game of risk assessment, and the common assessment suggests that you're rarely burned for paying impact talent early and often burned for paying them later.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived