Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Rick Nash for a First-Round Pick

Senior Member Junior Division

Trading Rick Nash for a First-Round Pick

Let's be honest, the Rangers are not contenders this season. They may catch lightening in a bottle like anyone else, but I don't think anyone is preparing for a deep run in the midst of a "rebuild-on-the-fly," as Gorton put it.

Nash is in his last year of his contract and is clearly a candidate for a trade. Yes, there are clauses in effect which make it hard but not impossible. For the right "contender" he'd be a great complimentary player and could fetch a hefty bounty. Hell, the Rangers could even retain some salary if it sweetened the pot for prospects or more picks.

After getting two 1st this draft, it would be amazing to have two 1st again next season. Just like that, the farm system would be fairly restocked.

After asking for him to be traded for three years now, it seems like now is the time to actually get something for him before he's gone for nothing.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Bantam Division
    This is a deal you do at the deadline, but not right now. That said if the conditions are right I'm for it, obviously.

Moderator Junior Division
    They are absolutely contenders right now. The East is garbage. I mean, can anybody sit here and name 4 Eastern teams that are unequivocally better than the Rangers right now? Pitt and CBJ? Toronto? Washington? You have to really stretch things to say that, no doubt, all 4 are better.

Even with the question marks at center and on D, this team is as competitive as anyone. If they're out at the deadline, go ahead and move him. But now is not the time to do it.
    Last edited by Future; 08-15-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Let's be honest, the Rangers are not contenders this season. They may catch lightening in a bottle like anyone else, but I don't think anyone is preparing for a deep run in the midst of a "rebuild-on-the-fly," as Gorton put it.

Nash is in his last year of his contract and is clearly a candidate for a trade. Yes, there are clauses in effect which make it hard but not impossible. For the right "contender" he'd be a great complimentary player and could fetch a hefty bounty. Hell, the Rangers could even retain some salary if it sweetened the pot for prospects or more picks.

After getting two 1st this draft, it would be amazing to have two 1st again next season. Just like that, the farm system would be fairly restocked.

After asking for him to be traded for three years now, it seems like now is the time to actually get something for him before he's gone for nothing.
    Don't really agree with this. I also don't think it's a catch lightning in the bottle scenario. They definitely have some flaws but they are certainly a playoff team as currently constructed. A couple of key additions and they're where they need to be. Too optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Don't really agree with this. I also don't think it's a catch lightning in the bottle scenario. They definitely have some flaws but they are certainly a playoff team as currently constructed. A couple of key additions and they're where they need to be. Too optimistic?
    I don't think it's too optimistic. We basically blew it against Ottawa last playoffs but if we were playing up to where we should've been we win that series for sure, and I really think we could've beaten Pitt. Ottawa took them to game 7 double OT and I don't think they were even that good.

We might not have the best depth at C (if Anderson is ready to step in, that issue is already resolved) but we are already better on the Blueline with Shattenkirk. Trading Nash now wouldn't make any sense. If we fall apart and aren't a playoff team for some reason, then there will be plenty of buyers willing to take Nash. But for now, he's too important to the team.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    This is a deal you do at the deadline, but not right now. That said if the conditions are right I'm for it, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    They are absolutely contenders right now. The East is garbage. I mean, can anybody sit here and name 4 Eastern teams that are unequivocally better than the Rangers right now? Pitt and CBJ? Toronto? Washington? You have to really stretch things to say that, no doubt, all 4 are better.

Even with the question marks at center and on D, this team is as competitive as anyone. If they're out at the deadline, go ahead and move him. But now is not the time to do it.
    This and this.

Talk to me at the deadline and I'll let you know where I sit on this issue.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Optimism doesn't really come into it. The concept is right. If we are not contending by the trade deadline, move him. If we are contending, there is no way Gorton moves him anyway IMO, so it would become irrelevant.

Whether he warrants a 1st or 2nd (and prospects presumably) depends on whether it is defensively reliable Rick Nash, or 40 goal scorer Rick Nash (or thereabouts) we are trading. Impossible to say at this stage.

Retaining salary makes him tradable to plenty of 'contenders' though up against the cap, and those are the teams with likely low 1st picks they are willing to move for a shot at the cup. Will be interesting no doubt. No way he moves until February onwards though.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Mite Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Trading Rick Nash for a First Round Pick

I don't think Nash gets traded now, but if/when he is I think it will be at the trade deadline that's when will get the best return for him as that's when teams really get desperate to make deals. We would surely could get a 1st Rd draft pick at the very least, but I think we will certainly get more than that. And at that point in the season we can retain salary and get even more in return.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    I don't think Nash gets traded now, but if/when he is I think it will be at the trade deadline that's when will get the best return for him as that's when teams really get desperate to make deals. We would surely could get a 1st Rd draft pick at the very least, but I think we will certainly get more than that. And at that point in the season we can retain salary and get even more in return.

The 2016/2017 Rick Nash doesn't get a 1st IMO. If he picks his scoring up then yeah maybe, but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by pws85nyr View Post
    The 2016/2017 Rick Nash doesn't get a 1st IMO. If he picks his scoring up then yeah maybe, but time will tell.

I think he does. Granted it'll be a late 1st from a team in the running, but a 1st nonetheless.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    Nash is good all around player during the season, not sure why someone would give up anything more then second at deadline for a player that doesn't do well in playoffs.
    If trade will happen, it will be to a team that is looking to resign him when contract expires.
    Last edited by Rangers; 08-15-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    Shoot the puck!

Senior Member Mite Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Yeah but at the trade deadline all you need is a couple of teams willing to get into a bidding war. Lets say do sh**s and giggles that StlL. And Nash. are fighting for the last spot in the west, don't you think one will try and out bid the other for Nash?

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect

This. The team hasn't even played a game or scrimmaged against each other. We don't know what the entire look of the team will be, I can't rule them out yet as contenders.

I think the only thing is going for him is that fact that by deadline most of his salary is going to be paid out by NYR.
    So his cap hit by then should only be at about $2 mil. I might be wrong about how that works, but if this is the case, he will draw some attention from few teams. Even at that, knowing his playoff performance, still not seeing a 1st for him, second + .

On really good contender team, he is a third line player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    Yeah but at the trade deadline all you need is a couple of teams willing to get into a bidding war. Lets say do sh**s and giggles that StlL. And Nash. are fighting for the last spot in the west, don't you think one will try and out bid the other for Nash?

Last edited by Rangers; 08-15-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    Shoot the puck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    Nash is good all around player during the season, not sure why someone would give up anything more then second at deadline for a player that doesn't do well in playoffs.
    If trade will happen, it will be to a team that is looking to resign him when contract expires.
    Where have you been the last two years?

Where have you been the last two years?

At work and family, how about your self?
    Shoot the puck!

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Not sure the offers will be there right now. More potential to get more at the deadline. Sure, I'll trade him now but I'm not selling this low. Let's get to the deadline, evaluate the team and his play and decide then.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I'm not sure there's a market for him right now at all. Most teams have set their rosters and balanced their salary caps to begin the season. You can probably count on one hand the number of teams who could even take him on without blowing that up.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm not sure there's a market for him right now at all. Most teams have set their rosters and balanced their salary caps to begin the season. You can probably count on one hand the number of teams who could even take him on without blowing that up.

Huh? There are 12 teams who could take his cap hit without shedding any salary, and another 5 or so who would have to dump less than $3m.

Off the top of my head - Carolina, San Jose, Montreal, WPG, Florida, Boston, and Ottawa would be perfect fits immediately. They all fancy themselves playoff teams and could use another quality forward. Quick glance, Nash slots into the top 6 on all those teams, I think.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    None of those teams are parting with significant assets for Nash right now. This is a deal that can be done at the deadline, and may in fact be a great idea depending on how the season goes. We'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast