Poll: A poll for fun

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: What Was "The Move" of the Summer?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

What Was "The Move" of the Summer?

So far, that is.

Judge this however deeply you want, but what moved the needle most for you? Zibanejad signing? Shattenkirk? G Buyout? Other?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    I think the move that's purely without its faults is the Jesper Fast signing. Sure, there are some good things about the other moves, but just looking at CapFriendly today and seeing Fast's deal made me happy.

$1.85M for three years of having a very good bottom six player is an incredible deal. Fast is one of the more underrated bottom six players and is versatile throughout the lineup. He's the ideal fourth liner but can also quite easily fit on a third line. He's also a player you can always count on to bring another level in the postseason. When you compare his deal to some other quality bottom six players out there, the Rangers really have him on a fantastic deal.

That's my move of the summer.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

What Was "The Move" of the Summer?

To me, none will have as much of a net positive impact as buying out Girardi. The fact McDonagh will be free of him for the first time in his career can't be understated because his success this season is going to be largely contingent on the fact G isn't around to drag him to Hell anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gotta go with Zib. Dude is a stud. 70 points this year.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Stepan. Would have been another contract that handcuffed us in years to come.

Senior Member Mite Division rmc51's Avatar
    Absolutely the Stepan trade. Without that trade, Shattenkirk isn't signed and we wouldnt have Lias Andersson.

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    Stepan trade opened the door to many things, but cant discount Girardi buyout, which helped with cap.
    Everything else kind of fell in its place.
    Shoot the puck!

Senior Member Midget Division
    I really hate to see him go but Stepan being traded gave the Rangers some roster flexibility. G's buyout was also very important for the same reason.

Exiled from Connecticut Squirt Division TheDozen's Avatar
    I went with Shatty because landing him for below market value felt like something to celebrate.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    To me, none will have as much of a net positive impact as buying out Girardi. The fact McDonagh will be free of him for the first time in his career can't be understated because his success this season is going to be largely contingent on the fact G isn't around to drag him to Hell anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I voted for this as well. I'm not as confident as you are that McD is going to play all that much better, but I feel it was the first shot fired in terms of sending the message to the locker room that mediocrity isn't going to be good enough. Stepan to an extent was the back breaker in terms of that as well, but I feel Girardii being bought out was the bigger message.

I'm not loving this D core, I'm also not sold on Shattenkirk. I really don't see a good partner for McD on this roster. Maybe Smith? I don't see how a defensive liability in Shattenkirk is going to help McD. Are we turning McD into a stay at home type? What improvement in McD's game are we supposed to expect if the two are paired together? If Girardii was a weight on his back, what the hell is this guy?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division leetchy2's Avatar
    I'm not quite sure there was one standout move, and I'm not convinced we will be a better team this season with all these moves. So we dump G and trade Stepan and in return we are able to sign Shatty & draft Lias. Somehow I think Girardi & Stepan combined would be better than Shatty & Lias. I fail to see how those moves make us better this season. We weaken our center position and lose a lot of defensive responsibility in the process. I'm surprised we couldn't have gotten more for Stepan & Raanta. Just my $0.02.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
    I'm not quite sure there was one standout move, and I'm not convinced we will be a better team this season with all these moves. So we dump G and trade Stepan and in return we are able to sign Shatty & draft Lias. Somehow I think Girardi & Stepan combined would be better than Shatty & Lias. I fail to see how those moves make us better this season. We weaken our center position and lose a lot of defensive responsibility in the process. I'm surprised we couldn't have gotten more for Stepan & Raanta. Just my $0.02.
    As of this moment, I agree that I don't think we are better than we were last year. But, who knows what impact KS will have, and there is plenty of upside from DeAngelo and Lias and even Hayes and Miller could elevate.

The current iteration of this team has a higher upside I think, but it also has a much greater chance of failing miserably. They've abandoned steadiness and predictable results (for the better, in some cases) for a more explosive roster. Who knows how it will play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    As of this moment, I agree that I don't think we are better than we were last year. But, who knows what impact KS will have, and there is plenty of upside from DeAngelo and Lias and even Hayes and Miller could elevate.

The current iteration of this team has a higher upside I think, but it also has a much greater chance of failing miserably. They've abandoned steadiness and predictable results (for the better, in some cases) for a more explosive roster. Who knows how it will play out.
    I agree with your assessment, and at the very least our power play *should* be considerably better.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
    I agree with your assessment, and at the very least our power play *should* be considerably better.
    Meh. We were 11th at 20.2% last year. Even if we got up to 25% - which I really doubt since this team doesn't have the shooters to pull it off - we're only talking an increase of ~12 goals, assuming 240 PPs. More realistically, we get up around 23% and add another ~7 goals. Maybe that gets you another win in the playoffs, but I kind of doubt an improved PP is going to make much of a difference, in terms of wins and losses, at the end of the day.

Yeah, but in the playoffs when it counted we were only at 7.7% and ranked next to last.

//reported Junior Division
    Girardi buyout.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk