Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: RB Ezekiel Elliott Suspended Six Games for Personal Conduct Policy Violation

  1. #1
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366

    RB Ezekiel Elliott Suspended Six Games for Personal Conduct Policy Violation



    @SportsCentre: BREAKING: #NFL suspends Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott six games under terms of league's personal conduct policy. (via @AdamSchefter) pic.twitter.com/5SPIQD84DN

    @theScore: BREAKING: Ezekiel Elliott suspended 6 games, according to reports. thesco.re/2wB8CCU pic.twitter.com/dfkeoDHRi5

    @EricOnSportsLaw: You should expect the NFLPA and @DeSmithNFLPA to immediately appeal Ezekiel Elliott's suspension.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think youí'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    This is beyond bullshit.

    Josh Brown got 1 game. There's a pretty common rhetoric amongst Cowboys fans that since Mara and Gooddell are buddies, the Giants get favorable treatment and the Cowboys get screwed over. I don't generally believe it but... The Cowboys and Giants play week 1 and since Gooddell levies punishments himself, it seems hard to argue against it now.

    That's also not even mentioning the fact that the NFL investigator is a huge Giants fan. AND, without sounding like a prick, she's a female and the NFL's suspension is based on the fact that they BELIEVED Thompson.

    I mean what in the actual fuck. No way this can hold up in court.
    Last edited by Future; 08-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,211
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This is beyond bullshit.

    Josh Brown got 1 game. There's a pretty common rhetoric amongst Cowboys fans that since Mara and Gooddell are buddies, the Giants get favorable treatment and the Cowboys get screwed over. I don't generally believe it but... The Cowboys and Giants play week 1 and since Gooddell levies punishments himself, it seems hard to argue against it now.

    That's also not even mentioning the fact that the NFL investigator is a huge Giants fan. AND, without sounding like a prick, she's a female and the NFL's suspension is based on the fact that they BELIEVED Thompson.

    I mean what in the actual fuck. No way this can hold up in court.
    So you believe he's innocent because you're a Cowboy fan? What about the 4 investigators, including medical experts, that believe he's guilty? I guess they're all Cowboy fans too.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  4. #4
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    So you believe he's innocent because you're a Cowboy fan? What about the 4 investigators, including medical experts, that believe he's guilty? I guess they're all Cowboy fans too.
    What? Idk if he's innocent or not. Medical experts didn't say that he did it. They said it was possible that the bruises she had could have come from that because they didn't have proof that they were from anything else. Big difference. I think the fact that, you know, actual police didn't think there was enough to suggest that he was guilty says quite a bit. Christ, the NFL didn't even say that there was inconclusive proof that he did it, just that there is evidence "supporting" it.

    Mostly, I just think the suspension is bs. They're trying to make an example out of Zeke. I mean, is Joe Mixon going to get suspended too? He punched a girl, it's on camera, and he's not getting a whiff of anything from the league.
    Last edited by Future; 08-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,211
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    What? Idk if he's innocent or not. Medical experts didn't say that he did it. They said it was possible that the bruises she had could have come from that because they didn't have proof that they were from anything else. Big difference. I think the fact that, you know, actual police didn't think there was enough to suggest that he was guilty says quite a bit. Christ, the NFL didn't even say that there was inconclusive proof that he did it, just that there is evidence "supporting" it.

    Mostly, I just think the suspension is bs. They're trying to make an example out of Zeke. I mean, is Joe Mixon going to get suspended too? He punched a girl, it's on camera, and he's not getting a whiff of anything from the league.
    Obviously it's not ok, but Joe Mixon wasn't in the NFL when that happened. Also, Elliot pulling down that girl's top on camera probably didn't help. If the best player in the league can get 4 games for taking air out of a ball (which most qb's admitted they do, whether it's putting more in or taking it out) then anyone else is wide open for a suspension for any stupid thing they do on or off the field.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  6. #6
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Obviously it's not ok, but Joe Mixon wasn't in the NFL when that happened. Also, Elliot pulling down that girl's top on camera probably didn't help. If the best player in the league can get 4 games for taking air out of a ball (which most qb's admitted they do, whether it's putting more in or taking it out) then anyone else is wide open for a suspension for any stupid thing they do on or off the field.
    There is a precedent of players being suspended for things before they were in the NFL - Terrelle Pryor. And yea, the "wide open" thing is the problem.

    This is the exact same situation as Pat Kane. The difference is that the NHL doesn't hold itself above the law.

  7. #7
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,211
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    There is a precedent of players being suspended for things before they were in the NFL - Terrelle Pryor. And yea, the "wide open" thing is the problem.

    This is the exact same situation as Pat Kane. The difference is that the NHL doesn't hold itself above the law.
    The NFL is on another planet than the rest of sports. They can afford to suspend Tom Brady, the NHL can't afford to suspend Sidney Crosby. More people know about Elliot than they do about Kane. That's the difference. And good for them for using their power to suspend whoever deserves it.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  8. #8
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    The NFL is on another planet than the rest of sports. They can afford to suspend Tom Brady, the NHL can't afford to suspend Sidney Crosby. More people know about Elliot than they do about Kane. That's the difference. And good for them for using their power to suspend whoever deserves it.
    Ok yea, fine. But there's a major issue with determining that a player deserves to be suspended when A) the police didn't B) other players with the same issue (worse in the case of Mixon and Brown) didn't get suspended.

  9. #9
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,211
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Ok yea, fine. But there's a major issue with determining that a player deserves to be suspended when A) the police didn't B) other players with the same issue (worse in the case of Mixon and Brown) didn't get suspended.
    The DA determines whether or not police investigations have accumulated enough evidence to warrant an arrest. Sometimes they know a person is guilty, but can't prove it legally, and can't put a case together. The NFL, or any other company for that matter, doesn't have to prove anything. Mixon wasn't employed by the NFL at the time of his incident.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  10. #10
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    The DA determines whether or not police investigations have accumulated enough evidence to warrant an arrest. Sometimes they know a person is guilty, but can't prove it legally, and can't put a case together. The NFL, or any other company for that matter, doesn't have to prove anything. Mixon wasn't employed by the NFL at the time of his incident.
    The NFL absolutely has to prove it for any suspension to stick. Otherwise, they can just say "we think OBJ smokes weed. He's suspended now." The whole suspension was based on the fact that they believe there is sufficient proof of domestic violence.

    There is a precedent for suspending players for stuff they did while in college - Terrelle Pryor - so stop saying that.

    Not for nothing, but this is also seems to be the complete opposite of what you said about Pat Kane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    My guess: They know Kane's history. He gets fucked up, as expected. She drills him. She makes it rough. She cries rape.
    How does that not apply here - especially since she actually, you know, lied, and the lead investigator could not make a recommendation of guilt because she had no credibility.

  11. #11
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,211
    Rep Power
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The NFL absolutely has to prove it for any suspension to stick. Otherwise, they can just say "we think OBJ smokes weed. He's suspended now." The whole suspension was based on the fact that they believe there is sufficient proof of domestic violence.

    There is a precedent for suspending players for stuff they did while in college - Terrelle Pryor - so stop saying that.

    Not for nothing, but this is also seems to be the complete opposite of what you said about Pat Kane.



    How does that not apply here - especially since she actually, you know, lied, and the lead investigator could not make a recommendation of guilt because she had no credibility.
    "We think" is not what lead to his suspension. They have their own investigators, and whether anyone likes it or not, they can suspend anyone they want based on their finding. Anything proved by a police investigation that leads to an arrest just makes it easier to suspend someone.

    "Stop saying that"? Lol. Ok. He was entering the NFL while suspended in the NCAA. Again, they can do what they want. He was about to be employed during a ncaa violation.

    Kane's incident isn't the same thing. It was publicly admitted that she lied, just as I guessed. There was no evidence other than her word. In Elliot's case, there was proof of a beat down on more than 1 occassion. He did it. Good player. He's an asshole.

    It's also a little creepy that you remembered enough of a post from what, 1-2 years ago, that you'd actually waste 5 minutes of your life to go back and try to prove something. Keep flexing those mod muscles, they're more powerful than alcohol. Weirdo.
    Last edited by Mikey37; 08-17-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  12. #12
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Rep Power
    112
    Just spit my coffee out, that was priceless
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  13. #13
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    "We think" is not what lead to his suspension. They have their own investigators, and whether anyone likes it or not, they can suspend anyone they want based on their finding. Anything proved by a police investigation that leads to an arrest just makes it easier to suspend someone.

    "Stop saying that"? Lol. Ok. He was entering the NFL while suspended in the NCAA. Again, they can do what they want. He was about to be employed during a ncaa violation.

    Kane's incident isn't the same thing. It was publicly admitted that she lied, just as I guessed. There was no evidence other than her word. In Elliot's case, there was proof of a beat down on more than 1 occassion. He did it. Good player. He's an asshole.

    It's also a little creepy that you remembered enough of a post from what, 1-2 years ago, that you'd actually waste 5 minutes of your life to go back and try to prove something. Keep flexing those mod muscles, they're more powerful than alcohol. Weirdo.
    "We think" is absolutely what lead to it, especially since Gooddell is the only one who levies punishment. I mean, the case is entirely his word vs. her word and Gooddell didn't even go to the hearings. There is no definitive proof that he abused her. The letter to EE says "the advisors individually were of the view that there is susbstantial and persuasive evidence supporting a finding that you engaged in physical violence." What it doesn't say is that the evidence proves that you are guilty. It simply says that there is evidence. It's ridiculous that people read that statement and think "oh he's guilty."

    It doesn't matter if he was already suspended. Your point was that it was something he did when he wasn't in the NFL...just like Mixon. So the point is moot.

    Kane's was EXACTLY the same. She had bruises and bite marks that she said were from Kane assaulting her, but there was no actual proof of that happening. Where was it admitted that she lied? The only thing that was a lie in that case was how they got that evidence bag, and it was the mother.... besides, how is that different than Thompson lying? It's police record that Thompson lied at the initial accusation and there is the whole blackmail with a sex tape thing and the fact that, on multiple occasions, she said she was going to try to ruin his career.

    I didn't remember it. I was just curious as to what you said about Kane so I took 2 minutes and pulled up the thread. It's got nothing to do with being a mod and more to do with me figuring out whether you actually would believe the thing you said in your first post or just wanted to troll. I mean, me saying "Mikey is a racist because he defended Kane but thinks Elliott is guilty based on these two posts," it'd be the exact same thing as what you said.

    I mean, if your point is that the NFL can just suspend players for whatever they want, then fine. But I don't buy the fact that anyone actually believes that for one second. If you ticked me off because you started rooting for the Flyers so I called your employer and said you sexually assaulted me, they have the right to suspend you and take almost 40% of your salary? You're ok with that? This is the exact reason why the suspension is so problematic.

  14. #14
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    "We think" is not what lead to his suspension. They have their own investigators, and whether anyone likes it or not, they can suspend anyone they want based on their finding. Anything proved by a police investigation that leads to an arrest just makes it easier to suspend someone.

    "Stop saying that"? Lol. Ok. He was entering the NFL while suspended in the NCAA. Again, they can do what they want. He was about to be employed during a ncaa violation.

    Kane's incident isn't the same thing. It was publicly admitted that she lied, just as I guessed. There was no evidence other than her word. In Elliot's case, there was proof of a beat down on more than 1 occassion. He did it. Good player. He's an asshole.

    It's also a little creepy that you remembered enough of a post from what, 1-2 years ago, that you'd actually waste 5 minutes of your life to go back and try to prove something. Keep flexing those mod muscles, they're more powerful than alcohol. Weirdo.
    Omfg owned

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    27
    Terrelle Pryor was suspended for circumventing the NFL's eligibility rules not for anything he did in college...

  16. #16
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Terrelle Pryor was suspended for circumventing the NFL's eligibility rules not for anything he did in college...
    He didn't break an NFL rule, hiring an agent ended his NCAA eligibility. The 5 games was for the incidents of using his name for money. So basically, Gooddell just upheld the NCAA suspension because he didn't like that a player found a loophole.

    In short, Pryor was 100% suspended for shit he did in college.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    27
    Since the 90's, only players that are not eligible to play in college could enter the NFL's supplemental draft. As Pryor did not lose his college eligibility, his original request to declare for the supplemental draft was denied. Goodell later reversed his decision and allowed him to enter the supplemental draft, while suspending him.

    Had Pryor declared for, and been drafted, during the normal NFL Draft he would not have been suspended.

  18. #18
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,211
    Rep Power
    280
    I wonder if they'll knock games off after his appeal?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  19. #19
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,669
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Since the 90's, only players that are not eligible to play in college could enter the NFL's supplemental draft. As Pryor did not lose his college eligibility, his original request to declare for the supplemental draft was denied. Goodell later reversed his decision and allowed him to enter the supplemental draft, while suspending him.

    Had Pryor declared for, and been drafted, during the normal NFL Draft he would not have been suspended.
    He lost his college eligibility when he hired an agent. The college suspension was levied late, and he missed the actual draft. Knowing that he'd miss almost half the season in college, he hired an agent to kill his college eligibility and enter the supplemental draft. He circumvented NCAA rules and got suspended by the NFL.

    But regardless, he was suspended for what he did before he was in the NFL. The specifics are irrelevant.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    27
    No, he didn't lose his college eligibility. He forfeited it. The supplemental draft is for players expecting to play college football, but lost their eligibility due to academic issues, being denied a request for a 5th year of eligibility, having a redshirt denied, etc. That is why there is a deadline for underclassmen to make their decision of declaring or returning to school. Again if he declared before the deadline, and been in the regular draft,there would have been no NFL suspension. The NFL has gone through its controversies of people playing the system because they don't like the draft order and/or they try to get to a specific team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •