Thread: Google Fires Author of Divisive Memo on Gender Differences

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Google Fires Author of Divisive Memo on Gender Differences

Alphabet Inc.’s Google has fired an employee who wrote an internal memo blasting the web company’s diversity policies, creating a firestorm across Silicon Valley.

James Damore, the Google engineer who wrote the note, confirmed his dismissal in an email, saying that he had been fired for “perpetuating gender stereotypes.” He said he’s “currently exploring all possible legal remedies.”

The imbroglio at Google is the latest in a long string of incidents concerning gender bias and diversity in the tech enclave. Uber Technologies Inc. Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick lost his job in June amid scandals over sexual harassment, discrimination and an aggressive culture. Ellen Pao’s gender-discrimination lawsuit against Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers in 2015 also brought the issue to light, and more women are speaking up to say they’ve been sidelined in the male-dominated industry, especially in engineering roles.
    Damore’s 10-page memorandum accused Google of silencing conservative political opinions and argued that biological differences play a role in the shortage of women in tech and leadership positions. It circulated widely inside the company and became public over the weekend, causing a furor that amplified the pressure on Google executives to take a more definitive stand.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...diversity-memo

--

If you want to read the memo itself (and I'd highly recommend doing so as it's just ten pages), the link is here: http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-t...eed-1797564320

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    I heard Gizmodo didn't publish his data that correlated with his argument.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Did they not? Alright, I'll find another link, then.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Alright, Mike Cernovich is a bit of a douche, but he has the full memo, unedited here:

https://medium.com/@Cernovich/full-j...es-339f3d2d05f
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    This is actually a wonderfully well written memo. If you read it, this memo in no way perpetuates gender stereotypes, it in no way encourages discrimination, and in fact it suggests some very good ideas to continue to reduce the gender gap in what the author views as nondiscriminatory. I assume most people just stopped on the listing of biological differences between men and women which, by the way, are also cited, and lost their shit.

This is all beside the point, however. In today's world, when someone takes the time and effort to put together and synthesize new knowledge backed by research, we need to stop crucifying people for their thoughts. It doesn't matter how much we disagree with their thoughts. Write your own fucking memo backed by hours of research that is a counter argument to this one. There should be no consequences for this type of work, not matter how horrifying the presented argument might be. I applaud this man for his work and judge most of his argument to be perfectly reasonable and certainly not worthy of the amount of public outcry and shame he has received, and even more certainly not worthy of termination of his job.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    But you're a cishet male! Of course you would say that! /sarc

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    This is actually a wonderfully well written memo. If you read it, this memo in no way perpetuates gender stereotypes, it in no way encourages discrimination, and in fact it suggests some very good ideas to continue to reduce the gender gap in what the author views as nondiscriminatory. I assume most people just stopped on the listing of biological differences between men and women which, by the way, are also cited, and lost their shit.

This is all beside the point, however. In today's world, when someone takes the time and effort to put together and synthesize new knowledge backed by research, we need to stop crucifying people for their thoughts. It doesn't matter how much we disagree with their thoughts. Write your own fucking memo backed by hours of research that is a counter argument to this one. There should be no consequences for this type of work, not matter how horrifying the presented argument might be. I applaud this man for his work and judge most of his argument to be perfectly reasonable and certainly not worthy of the amount of public outcry and shame he has received, and even more certainly not worthy of termination of his job.
    Exactly. Google proved his point by firing him.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    The poor guy is a Liberal and even with the well reasoned, and sourced, argument he made he still couched and qualified everything with diversity friendly statements.

This better be rock bottom. It better wake some people up. Will it? I have my doubts, and as fast as the radically progressive elements of society expand leftwards there will be an equal reaction that expands right.