Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Jeff Gorton, Don't Malhotra Lias Andersson

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Hey Jeff Gorton, Don't Malhotra Lias Andersson

“With the seventh overall selection in this year’s NHL Entry Draft, the New York Rangers are proud to select…”

Over the past 20 years, the Rangers have picked in the top ten of the NHL Entry Draft only six times. Their highest selection was fourth overall, followed by a sixth, two chances at seventh and two at tenth. Five of those players tapped are a who’s who of “who?” if you aren’t a Rangers’ fan and a source of frustration if you are.

1998 - Manny Malhotra (C) - 7th Overall
    1999 - Pavel Brendl (LW) - 4th Overall
    2002 - Dan Blackburn (G) - 10th Overall
    2004 - Al Montoya (G) - 6th Overall
    2010 - Dylan McIlrath (D) - 10th Overall

The sixth pick is Swedish center Lias Andersson who was the Rangers’ choice at the seventh spot in the 2017 draft, a selection they secured as part of the compensation received from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for center Derek Stepan.

Click here to view the article.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedForContact View Post
    “With the seventh overall selection in this year’s NHL Entry Draft, the New York Rangers are proud to select…”

Over the past 20 years, the Rangers have picked in the top ten of the NHL Entry Draft only six times. Their highest selection was fourth overall, followed by a sixth, two chances at seventh and two at tenth. Five of those players tapped are a who’s who of “who?” if you aren’t a Rangers’ fan and a source of frustration if you are.

1998 - Manny Malhotra (C) - 7th Overall
    1999 - Pavel Brendl (LW) - 4th Overall
    2002 - Dan Blackburn (G) - 10th Overall
    2004 - Al Montoya (G) - 6th Overall
    2010 - Dylan McIlrath (D) - 10th Overall

The sixth pick is Swedish center Lias Andersson who was the Rangers’ choice at the seventh spot in the 2017 draft, a selection they secured as part of the compensation received from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for center Derek Stepan.

Click here to view the article.
    Every team has a short list of these types of players. It's not like these guys would have dropped to the third round if the Rangers didn't pick them. Well, maybe McIlrath would have. Personally, I wouldn't pick a goalie that early either, but that's just my opinion. It's also what makes the majority of the draft a crapshoot. A large percentage of these kids are still developing, and have a long way to go before peaking and establishing themselves. It's like drafting 10 year olds to eventually play midgets. Yes, you'll have some solid selections and a few no brainer studs, but the rest is a crapshoot. There's too many steps and so much change in development in this game over other sports. Toughest sport to draft imo.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division
    Different era, different scouting staff, different GM, different player. Malholtra and Andersson have nothing in common.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Different era, different scouting staff, different GM, different player. Malholtra and Andersson have nothing in common.
    Yup. There's differences every year. That's what makes it difficult.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Of course they have things in common. They were drafted at similar positions at similar ages who are looking at similar entry points to the NHL (albeit for different reasons).

Yes, it's a different era, different scouting staff, et al, but there is a comparison here worth noting, specifically because Andersson is a rare top-10 pick for a Rangers team that has historically swung and missed (also for varying reasons) the last five times they've picked that high.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I'm less concerned about the selection and more concerned with whether Andersson will be allotted the proper development path for his ability and maturity as a player.

Malhotra wasn't a bad selection, he was rushed to the NHL because the Rangers were old, never properly filled the cupboards and found a huge hole at center. He should have gone back to juniors if he wasn't AHL eligible (forget the rules there 20 years ago).

Instead he was put behind Gretzky as a number two and slipped from there, never to achieve his potential.

Rangers aren't in the same position, but the hole is still there and Andersson likely will be looked at as an option to fill it. They need to be careful not to burn a big asset here.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I'm less concerned about the selection and more concerned with whether Andersson will be allotted the proper development path for his ability and maturity as a player.

Malhotra wasn't a bad selection, he was rushed to the NHL because the Rangers were old, never properly filled the cupboards and found a huge hole at center. He should have gone back to juniors if he wasn't AHL eligible (forget the rules there 20 years ago).

Instead he was put behind Gretzky as a number two and slipped from there, never to achieve his potential.

Rangers aren't in the same position, but the hole is still there and Andersson likely will be looked at as an option to fill it. They need to be careful not to burn a big asset here.
    Maholtra played almost 20 years in the NHL. The Rangers didn't hurt him, he just never lived up to expectations as far as where he was drafted.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Maholtra played almost 20 years in the NHL. The Rangers didn't hurt him, he just never lived up to expectations as far as where he was drafted.
    It's one of those things that is impossible to know, but then, if everything in sports was just a fact or a number, there would be no reason to discuss any of it. My recollection was that he was rushed to the NHL because of need. Then he was bounced between the Rangers, AHL and the stands. There were issues where the coach, I think it was Muckler at the time, was calling him out in the press.

Looking at his stats, he played 73 games as an 18 year old, then 39 total games the following season between the NHL and AHL. He sat in the stands for half a season. Would you recommend that for a 19 year old second year player?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    The dark ages
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I think the point of this whole discussion is to point out the biggest crime is failing to learn from past mistakes.. AV has historically given kids about 2 inches of rope so they can't hang themselves (not saying its a bad methodology)... AJ had the numbers on Manny M- they speak volumes. Let's either let him PLAY and develop (warts and all) on the NHL roster, or in the AHL.. Its hard to get better eating popcorn in the press-box or on a train between Hartford and Penn Station.

Unless you ask Muckler. He had him pegged as a 3rd line center. Such comments sent Ranger message boards into frenzies.

Malhotra was deemed as a mature, ready to step in player. He was. But management wanted him used in a way the coach felt wasn't for him. I don't recall Malhotra playing much on the 2nd line. Gotta look back at the roster to remember who played over him.

It's one of those things that is impossible to know, but then, if everything in sports was just a fact or a number, there would be no reason to discuss any of it. My recollection was that he was rushed to the NHL because of need. Then he was bounced between the Rangers, AHL and the stands. There were issues where the coach, I think it was Muckler at the time, was calling him out in the press.

Looking at his stats, he played 73 games as an 18 year old, then 39 total games the following season between the NHL and AHL. He sat in the stands for half a season. Would you recommend that for a 19 year old second year player?
    Didn't he have a major knee injury or something? I don't think he sat for bad play or coaching decisions.

Didn't he have a major knee injury or something? I don't think he sat for bad play or coaching decisions.

If he wasn't up and down, does he turn into a top 6 player for 18 years? Doubt it.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Unless you ask Muckler. He had him pegged as a 3rd line center. Such comments sent Ranger message boards into frenzies.

Malhotra was deemed as a mature, ready to step in player. He was. But management wanted him used in a way the coach felt wasn't for him. I don't recall Malhotra playing much on the 2nd line. Gotta look back at the roster to remember who played over him.
    By who? Everyone but the people that actually matter ? My point is that he played that 3rd-4th line role for almost 20 NHL seasons, so how does his first 1-2 years make a difference ? They don't. Saaaame bullshit from idiot fans about Kreider. He got thrown into the fire, scored a few goals in the playoffs, and everyone thought he was a superstar, except Torts. Then Torts was the asshole for not wanting him up here because he felt like he needed more work in the A, until AV cut him from the opening night roster a few short months later. He needed time, a few goals means shit. He got his chance and he's a better player than he was back then. Still a lug head, but better. Fans really have no idea what goes into developing a player properly.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Exiled from Connecticut Squirt Division TheDozen's Avatar
    Nice showing for Lias with both Sweden goals against Team USA.

Deleted Midget Division
    Dan Blackburn could've been one of the NHL's top goalies, shame about his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    Dan Blackburn could've been one of the NHL's top goalies, shame about his injury.
    Yeah, and it was so early in his career. I still wouldn't go after a goalie that early though, no matter how highly touted he is. What makes it harder to swallow is that the Rangers could have bought any established goalie they wanted, why waste an early pick? You give Holik 8 zillion, but you won't go after a goalie? Odd. Method to the madness, I guess.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

By who? Everyone but the people that actually matter ? My point is that he played that 3rd-4th line role for almost 20 NHL seasons, so how does his first 1-2 years make a difference ? They don't. Saaaame bullshit from idiot fans about Kreider. He got thrown into the fire, scored a few goals in the playoffs, and everyone thought he was a superstar, except Torts. Then Torts was the asshole for not wanting him up here because he felt like he needed more work in the A, until AV cut him from the opening night roster a few short months later. He needed time, a few goals means shit. He got his chance and he's a better player than he was back then. Still a lug head, but better. Fans really have no idea what goes into developing a player properly.
    ? I was kinda saying Muckler was right? Being a mature kid and ready to step in, doesn't translate into being a top player. Sorry I didn't explain that.. I figured that was a given due to the premise of the thread. Saying a player is NHL ready, doesn't mean they are a top six player.

I thought Neil Smith wanted to justify the pick and wanted to prop him up as more than he was by hoping to slot him in a big role right off the bat. Muckler pretty much nailed it and used I think Mike York over him, which I think caused a big rift between Smith and Muckler.
    Last edited by The Dude; 08-04-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    I remember watching a game with him in goal, was pre-webstreams so a rare chance for me to watch the Rangers. So I watched late night despite high fever.
    Against the Pens, Blackburn was amazing, but we still lost. 0-1 ...in OT even I think, not sure about that part though. I think Hedberg was in Goal for the Pens? Too long ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast