• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NSH Re-Sign F Ryan Johansen to 8-Year/$64M Extension; $8M AAV

Phil

Just saw this earlier. Preds are gonna be a force for a while with all of these guys locked up long term.

Huh?

Any repeat champ has turned over the majority of their roster between cups. Penguins, Hawks, Kings.

Going to the finals and having long term contracts has no relevancy for success.

Huh?

Any repeat champ has turned over the majority of their roster between cups. Penguins, Hawks, Kings.

Going to the finals and having long term contracts has no relevancy for success.

Sure, the hawks didn't lock up third and fourth liners to long contracts, and neither did Nashville. Case on point - Auston Watson.

But the hawks have Toews, Kane, Hossa, Seabrook, Keith, and Crawford all with three rings and locked up long term.

The pens have Crosby, Malkin, and Letang all locked up for a while. And even though they didn't give Kessel his contract, they might now be too upset about it.

I'm not saying that there aren't other factors involved here, and I don't disagree that locking up your players to long contracts guarantees success, but you'd be hard-pressed to convince me a team with Subban, Ekholm, Johansen, Arvidsson, and Forsberg signed for the next 5 years and then some isnt a great start. Couple that with the fact that Poile gets some of these guys on great deals is just a bonus. (I'm not saying Johansen at 8x8 is great, but Ekholm at 3.75m, and Josi at 4m, and Arvidsson at 4.25m are all great deals.)

Archived