Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Return for Golden Holden?

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

What's the Return for Golden Holden?

By now, a Nick Holden trade seems like a certainty. While Jeff Gorton’s move to send a fourth-round pick to the Avalanche for the 30-year-old defenseman seemed savvy as “Golden Holden” earned top-four minutes through the first half of last season, he didn’t do enough in the second half of the season or playoffs to warrant a second year with the Blueshirts.

At first glance, Holden, who had 11 goals and 23 assists along with a +13 rating (nearly the same line as Matt Dumba), would seem to be worth more than just a mid-round pick. Make no mistake about it, Holden—similar to Kevin Klein before him—had some excellent moments in the offensive zone.

But on the flip side, has any player in recent Rangers’ history seen his value plummet so quickly during the course of a season? Considering his dreary playoff performance, it’s highly unlikely that the 30-year-old would fetch more than a fourth-round pick.

Click here to view the article.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Holden has some value but if it is what you suggest (4th round pick) then I would think Bozak has significantly more value. As a deadline rental Bozak has to be worth a late 1st rounder or middle 2nd plus. So for a full season, I don't see a 4th and middling prospect getting it done. Probably need to add a 2nd round pick at least.

Holden is a throw in the way you describe him. Maybe he has more value than you think. Or maybe he's just a salary dump.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

What's the Return for Golden Holden?

Holden has value, period. He had a career year. With a year left at under $2M against the cap there's no doubt there'd be a few teams interested. As Mike mentioned, Toronto makes sense in place of Marchenko or Marincin on the third pair. The Devils and Avs both desperately need NHL defensemen, too.

The real kicker is, if Holden were right-handed or played the right side naturally he'd be gone by now. A 30-point, relatively young, cheap RD option is invaluable in this league today.

Bring left-handed actually limits his value. The Leafs, for example, have what, five lefties on their blue line as it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    If they buy out Staal, do they move Holden? If they move Holden, do they buy out Staal?

I'm not sure Staal factors in at all, to be honest. I think it's very unlikely they buy him out. Moving Holden makes sense based on the numbers game, plus he has more value coming off a career year.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedForContact View Post
    By now, a Nick Holden trade seems like a certainty. While Jeff Gorton’s move to send a fourth-round pick to the Avalanche for the 30-year-old defenseman seemed savvy as “Golden Holden” earned top-four minutes through the first half of last season, he didn’t do enough in the second half of the season or playoffs to warrant a second year with the Blueshirts.

At first glance, Holden, who had 11 goals and 23 assists along with a +13 rating (nearly the same line as Matt Dumba), would seem to be worth more than just a mid-round pick. Make no mistake about it, Holden—similar to Kevin Klein before him—had some excellent moments in the offensive zone.

But on the flip side, has any player in recent Rangers’ history seen his value plummet so quickly during the course of a season? Considering his dreary playoff performance, it’s highly unlikely that the 30-year-old would fetch more than a fourth-round pick.

Click here to view the article.
    Stupid question, but with taking the NY bar exam I've been out of the news for a little while. Why is it that a Nick Holden trade "seems like a certainty?" I haven't really seen any rumors on here or anywhere else regarding him being dealt.

Not being a dick, genuinely asking.

Brooks confirmed the Rangers are looking to move him. He's the odd man out on a deep blue line where there Rangers want to give a legitimate shot to Bereglazov, Pionk, and others.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Brooks is barely more accurate than Eklund. Stop reading and posting his garbage.

Worse comes to worse, you waive him after camp.

Yeah, why try trading a defenseman coming off a career year with 10+ goals and 30+ points when you can just waive him for nothing in Camp. That's wonderful asset management.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Stupid question, but with taking the NY bar exam I've been out of the news for a little while. Why is it that a Nick Holden trade "seems like a certainty?" I haven't really seen any rumors on here or anywhere else regarding him being dealt.

Not being a dick, genuinely asking.
    Brooks suggested it about a month ago. People ran with it. Still are. I'm no fan of Holden at all, but he was a pleasant surprise last year. I don't have a huge problem keeping him as a third pair guy, BUT with Shattenkirk and possibly DeAngelo here, I'm not sure that having an "offensive minded" d man on the third pair with DeAngelo is the way to go. I guess that's Staals job.

If they can get something of worth for Holden, they HAVE TO. Hopefully Brooks is on to something with his rumor of the Rangers packaging Holden with a pick for a 2nd line center like Bozak. It would be good asset management.

How ever. If DeAngelo doesn't work out... The Rangers are going to turn to unknowns and question marks, with an already down swung Staal on that third pair.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, why try trading a defenseman coming off a career year with 10+ goals and 30+ points when you can just waive him for nothing in Camp. That's wonderful asset management.

I don't want to trade him. He's a great utility defenseman. Plays either side, any role, any time, cheap, knows the system.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I don't want to trade him. He's a great utility defenseman. Plays either side, any role, any time, cheap, knows the system.
    Which is precisely why he has trade value.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I don't want to trade him. He's a great utility defe...

Worse comes to worse, you waive him [say, if everyone exceeded expectations, or his game went to complete shit].

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I don't want to trade him. He's a great utility defe...

Worse comes to worse, you waive him [say, if everyone exceeded expectations, or his game went to complete shit].
    How on earth does that make sense? I don't want to trade him, but let's waive him later.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    yeah man, our blueline still has a ton of question marks. Who knows about Deangelo, Shattenkirks adjustment, Staal bounceback, Skjei getting a bigger role, McDonagh's injuries, how youth will be inserted and the effectiveness as such (Bere, Pionk, Day, Graves... who knows)

Hence why youd keep a guy that a.) knows the system, b.) can play any role, either side, any time and c.) is cheap to carry

Holden could be an important piece. He could be a stop-gap.
    Or, Rangers defense/team exceed expectations, we get some great luck, and who knows what might happen. If that happens, i dont care - waive him.
    But as of now, theres still a need for him on the blueline. Forcing a trade just to make a trade is forum mentality.

The article fails to mention anything about what Holden actually did, here, besides mentioning career-high offensive numbers. If this is supposed to be some advertisement proclaiming how important he is in attempt to sell-high, it falls short. Again, this is Nick Holden we are talking about... is there really a "sell high" when it comes to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    How on earth does that make sense? I don't want to trade him, but let's waive him later.
    It makes sense with the condition Josh ads that if everyone else exceeds expectations, making him useless on our roster while taking up cap space, or his play is so terrible we can't keep him on the team.

yeah man, our blueline still has a ton of question marks. Who knows about Deangelo, Shattenkirks adjustment, Staal bounceback, Skjei getting a bigger role, McDonagh's injuries, how youth will be inserted and the effectiveness as such (Bere, Pionk, Day, Graves... who knows)

Hence why youd keep a guy that a.) knows the system, b.) can play any role, either side, any time and c.) is cheap to carry

Holden could be an important piece. He could be a stop-gap.
    Or, Rangers defense/team exceed expectations, we get some great luck, and who knows what might happen. If that happens, i dont care - waive him.
    But as of now, theres still a need for him on the blueline. Forcing a trade just to make a trade is forum mentality.

The article fails to mention anything about what Holden actually did, here, besides mentioning career-high offensive numbers. If this is supposed to be some advertisement proclaiming how important he is in attempt to sell-high, it falls short. Again, this is Nick Holden we are talking about... is there really a "sell high" when it comes to him?
    The premise is to sell high because we have a lot of other options, plus, and this is key, the proposed deals involve moving him for a center which is an area we are much weaker at. If the D is an unknown right now, at least there are probably 10 potential options for the 6 spots. At center, we have 5 options for 4 spots and two of them are still somewhat long shots that fill the bottom two center hole, not the possible top two positions.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    It still makes zero sense to waive him. He would certainly be claimed. We have the cap space to hold on to him and trade him.

Shattenkirk, Skjei, and McD are question marks? Talk about glass completely empty. If you're going to be that pessimistic we should sign a couple more veteran D-men.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    The premise is to sell high because we have a lot of other options, plus, and this is key, the proposed deals involve moving him for a center which is an area we are much weaker at. If the D is an unknown right now, at least there are probably 10 potential options for the 6 spots. At center, we have 5 options for 4 spots and two of them are still somewhat long shots that fill the bottom two center hole, not the possible top two positions.
    sell high? come on, its Holden. And rangers writers, bloggers and fan boys have ruined any potential to sell high with their constant bashing.

As for mid-season fill-ins, we've seen to have more success with forwards that can come up and be serviceable than defensemen. No real issue bringing up guys to plug in on the 4th line. I think we've struggled to find 6/7 dmen, pretty much every season.

We've got Zib, Hayes and DD. I want Miller at C (have for a long time). We've also got Boo, Lias and probably 3 other options from our system that can fill in on the 4th line. (And if Miller gets time at C, you have a lot more options of guys that can play 4th line wing)

To me, 6th dman is going to be more important to this team than 1 4th line player/13th forward.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    It still makes zero sense to waive him. He would certainly be claimed. We have the cap space to hold on to him and trade him.

Shattenkirk, Skjei, and McD are question marks? Talk about glass completely empty. If you're going to be that pessimistic we should sign a couple more veteran D-men.
    waive, press box, sit... youre getting caught up in words you dont like.

Shattenkirk cant play defense. McDonagh will miss his 10-15 games with his concussion and or shoulder until he learns how to take a hit, and Skjei will probably be forced to cover up Deangelo or Shattenkirks defensive spot when paired. He's still young and expectations must be kept in check.
    But you still have 3 other spots on D not mentioned. Staal, Deangelo... our bottom pair - yeah, id say there are some question marks, there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast