Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Look at a Marc Staal Buyout

Senior Member Midget Division
    Staal obviously isn't a top pairing guy anymore. But if the Rangers deal Holden, who is playing on the bottom pair? Relying on absolutely unknowns to plug that spot isn't going to happen. Skjei, DeAngelo AND an unknown rookie are going to man the blue line?

I don't think the pay off is worth it right now to do it. Unless they can ditch him in a trade and rid themselves of that contract completely, so they can maybe sign a stop gap D man, while also getting a center in some other way, it's a gamble. I don't even think Staal is so bad that they MUST buy him out right now anyway.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Bereglazov is a pro. He has no NHL experience but he's been playing professionally against men in the KHL for the last three years. I can't imagine he's going to struggle too much to transition to NHL ice.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I was always against buying him out this year as well but damn do some of you make a really good case to make me think again...

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Holden is a perfect utility dman.

Senior Member Mite Division rmc51's Avatar
    Nah. Stick him on the 3rd pair and see if he rebounds. Even just a small uptick in his play against lesser skilled players on other teams makes him a serviceable or potentially good 3rd pair defenseman. I'm not about to create a whole bunch of dead cap space and play roulette all season with 20-22 year old kids on the 3rd pairing. Not without giving Staal a shot with lesser expectations being asked of him.

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    I think the smarter move is wait till next offseason to buyout Staal
    Well the second buyout window starts in about 10 hours, Rangers will have until Sunday morning to announce a buyout of Staal
    (I think Gorts waits at least one more year, unless he can pull a Gomez)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Bereglazov is a pro. He has no NHL experience but he's been playing professionally against men in the KHL for the last three years. I can't imagine he's going to struggle too much to transition to NHL ice.
    Since when does playing in the KHL mean a player can play in the NHL? I hope you're right Phil, but I am reluctant to put faith in guys with zero North American games played to just step right in and play good.

If the KHL was a realistic barometer, why not pluck some KHL first line center and call it a day?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    It doesn't. It's just a better judge of ability than Junior or some other smaller Euro leagues. The AHL remains the best feeder league with the KHL and Liiga not far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    We are essentially talking about a 12min per night gig as a 6th Dman. We have a number of options between Bereglazov, Pionk, Day (less likely), Graves and others.

Quite frankly, if none of them work out, we can plug in Kampfer. That's the kind of cap expenditure you want in your 6th D spot, not $5.7m.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    We are essentially talking about a 12min per night gig as a 6th Dman. We have a number of options between Bereglazov, Pionk, Day (less likely), Graves and others.

Quite frankly, if none of them work out, we can plug in Kampfer. That's the kind of cap expenditure you want in your 6th D spot, not $5.7m.
    Why are we ok with plugging in garbage? I'm not getting how the sixth spot is this menial job, that now all of a sudden, anybody can do.. I hate to bring up the Mcllrath situation, where many were against just letting him play out his kinks as a sixth Dman, because you just can't do that..... Now though? Kampfer? Really? Everyone shit on the idea of trying Graves last year. But he's good to go now? If Bereglazov and Pionk aren't phenomenal, the Rangers are in deep shit without Staal. And that's two rookies on D. With AV as the coach.. Staals cap hit is obviously not equal to his play. We know that. But let's not act like Kampfer and a bunch of unproven rookies are a better alternative for the role. Staal could slot up when an injury happens.

I'm all for dumping Staal. But only if they can fully rid themselves of that contract. If they buy him out, I'd rather fill that hole with something better. Not worse.

I'm not seeing it guys.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    It's not going to be a 12min/night gig. You need someone that can play against top lines, kill penalties, play the last minute of a 1-goal game, etc. you got Shattenkirk and Deangelo (or any other rookie defender) that aren't going to be playing those minutes. Smith is taking a penalty per game, McDonagh will get a concussion and also hurt his shoulder... we are talking about important minutes.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Why are we ok with plugging in garbage? I'm not getting how the sixth spot is this menial job, that now all of a sudden, anybody can do.. I hate to bring up the Mcllrath situation, where many were against just letting him play out his kinks as a sixth Dman, because you just can't do that..... Now though? Kampfer? Really? Everyone shit on the idea of trying Graves last year. But he's good to go now? If Bereglazov and Pionk aren't phenomenal, the Rangers are in deep shit without Staal. And that's two rookies on D. With AV as the coach.. Staals cap hit is obviously not equal to his play. We know that. But let's not act like Kampfer and a bunch of unproven rookies are a better alternative for the role. Staal could slot up when an injury happens.

I'm all for dumping Staal. But only if they can fully rid themselves of that contract. If they buy him out, I'd rather fill that hole with something better. Not worse.

I'm not seeing it guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    It's not going to be a 12min/night gig. You need someone that can play against top lines, kill penalties, play the last minute of a 1-goal game, etc. you got Shattenkirk and Deangelo (or any other rookie defender) that aren't going to be playing those minutes. Smith is taking a penalty per game, McDonagh will get a concussion and also hurt his shoulder... we are talking about important minutes.
    I was having similar thoughts, but down the road of if, by some twist of fate, we get into another conference final or better, overtimes and all, sometimes that last D-man is suddenly playing extremely important minutes. It all depends on what your ambitions are as a team. And while I will not be holding my breath with this 2017-8 edition, the team's last 10 years might suggest we have a chance of getting in the mix somehow. So, if good things happen. Any regular Dman can expect to find himself in important playoff situations, IMO.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12