Thread: Let's Go Dumpster Diving!

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Let's Go Dumpster Diving!

Though this free agent class is a demonstrably weaker class than most, it, too, stands to offer a number of free agents who are, to this point, still available for pennies on the dollar. Below are three players who I think the Rangers would be wise to place one of these calculated bets on:

Daniel Winnik, 32

Winnik is your par for the course grizzled veteran bottom-six grinder whose physical game endears him to fans and teammates alike, but whose production isn’t nonexistent – an important factor to keep in mind when discussing signing players renowned for their hitting game. It’s this added dimension, among others, that separates him from his singularly talented, fixed gear peers like Tanner Glass, who the Rangers are thankfully past.

In the 227 games he’s split between the Washington Capitals, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Pittsburgh Penguins over the last three seasons, Winnik has compiled 27 goals and 78 points, good for a 0.34 points per games played (P/GP) average. The 25 points in 72 games he scored with the Caps last season nearly mirrors that production at 0.35 P/GP. This all, too, has come as his time on ice per game (TOI/G) has continued to fall over that span. He’s gone from averaging 16:50 TOI/G with the Leafs in 2014-15 to 12:54 with the Caps last season. His goal-scoring is on the lower end of the spectrum, even for a bottom-six player, but like Jesper Fast, his defensive game is stellar. He had the fifth highest shorthanded TOI/G (2:31) with the Capitals last season, and in terms of shot suppression, he’s among the best the league has to offer. For a Rangers team that gave up the sixth-most shot attempts against (3823), the sixth-most unblocked shot attempts against (2799), and whose penalty-kill (79.8) was just 12th league wide last season, improving in all three facets is something Winnik could help with.

He’s also not an analytics drain, either, which is another important aspect of judging players who often play much of their time without the puck. He’s averaged a 51.5 corsi for percentage (CF%) and a 51.9 fenwick for percentage (FF%) over the last two seasons with the Caps in which he’s been deployed heavily in a defensive role, averaging a 58.6 defensive zone start percentage (dZS%) to a 41.4 offensive zone start percentage (oZS%).

Other options include Alex Chiasson and Andrej Nestrasil. More on both in the article.

Click here to view the article.

Banned Midget Division
    I only like him because of the first 3 letters of his last name

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Damn. I missed a great pun, it seems.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Off the top of my head there's a few older players that would have to take on a fourth line role, but may not be willing to, or the coach himself would lean more towards them instead of youngsters like Buch.

Drew Stafford and Iginla. IMO this team could use some veteran leadership. A guy to rally around. I think these two have a little left in the tank and the desire to win a cup before they retire. Obviously they aren't every day players for top six minutes anymore. As depth/hired guns that are here in reduced roles is what I'd want them here for. So before anyone says the typical " we don't need old guys to be the savior, we need to get younger...", response, please reread what I would want these players here for. Essentially 12th or 13th forward roles, and leadership.

There may be better fits as far as needs go, like John Mitchel, where his definite role is as a fourth liner. Winnik too. Maybe Brooks Leich?

IMO depth D men or even a sixth D man is the biggest need to go dumpster diving for.

Top of my list would be Wideman. Or how about a reunion with Tyutin?

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    "Dumpster Diving"

You're fuckin mean. Clever way to draw attention to the article, but fuckin mean.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    I prefer the term "Bargain Basement shopping"
    #TankforTkachuk #SuckforSvechnikov #FailforFilip

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    "Dumpster Diving"

You're fuckin mean. Clever way to draw attention to the article, but fuckin mean.
    It wasn't intended to be insulting. I view it like "one man's trash is another man's treasure".
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It wasn't intended to be insulting. I view it like "one man's trash is another man's treasure".
    I bet Winnik wouldn't agree. Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Yeah, he'd probably go full Dan Boyle on me and want to fight me outside the Garden. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens