Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Can Change the Outcome of One Game During Your Lifetime

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

You Can Change the Outcome of One Game During Your Lifetime

Which one would you choose and why?

I'm leaning game seven of the 2015 ECF. If the Rangers don't shit the fucking bed in that game they advance to their second Stanley Cup Final matchup in two years, taking on the Hawks.

I loved their chances at winning that series.

1. Lundqvist (2.11 GA/A, .923 SV%) in second shot at the Cup against Crawford (2.31, .924).

2. Brassard (16 points in 19 games, team-leading 9 goals), Kreider (7 goals), Nash (14 points in 19 games), Yandle (11 in 19), and Stepan (12 in 19) were viable weapons.

3. St. Louis was on his last legs, but a greybeard Cup would have been amazing.

4. It would exact revenge for failing to win on the twentieth anniversary of '94, having lost the season prior to the Kings.

5. Ratings bonanza!

If only....

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    the one where rangers lose in game 7 of the Stanley cup final

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    For me, probably Game 1 of the SCF's in 2014. That was our year, and if we had taken ONE of those games in LA, I think the tone of the series changes completely. I try to be impartial when it comes to the refereeing, because I know everybody always thinks their team got screwed. But that was one of the most poorly called series I've ever seen. When Muzzin tripped Zook in Game 2, and Zook would've had a breakaway, and Muzzin fell down and somehow Zook got called for tripping and Gaborik tied it on the PP. Or in OT when Jeff Carter stuck his stick in to Henrik's gut and yanked him out of position like a bad Vaudeville act getting pulled off stage. Puck goes in, goalie interference non-reviewable, we lose.

Honestly I think you could've changed either of those games and I think we stand a good chance of winning that series. They had the size, experience and grit, but we had the speed and skill advantage. I can remember the NBC guys saying in Game 1 that LA looked like they were having trouble keeping up with our speed. That team COULD have won it all. They just needed to set the tone, and two back-breaking OT losses go a long way toward crushing morale on one side and heaping momentum on the other.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Game 1 of the SCF vs. the Kings. Win that game, totally different series.

Senior Member Bantam Division BrooklynBoy89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

I'm leaning game seven of the 2015 ECF. If the Rangers don't shit the fucking bed in that game they advance to their second Stanley Cup Final matchup in two years, taking on the Hawks.

1. Lundqvist (2.11 GA/A, .923 SV%) in second shot at the Cup against Crawford (2.31, .924).

2. Brassard (16 points in 19 games, team-leading 9 goals), Kreider (7 goals), Nash (14 points in 19 games), Yandle (11 in 19), and Stepan (12 in 19) were viable weapons.

4. It would exact revenge for failing to win on the twentieth anniversary of '94, having lost the season prior to the Kings.

5. Ratings bonanza!

If only....

This 100%. We would have beaten the Hawks. Or I would change Game 7 of the 2014 Kings/Hawks series lol. Let the Hawks win that OT Game 7, and we win the Cup. We matched up well with them over that time.

Senior Member Bantam Division BrooklynBoy89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    For me, probably Game 1 of the SCF's in 2014. That was our year, and if we had taken ONE of those games in LA, I think the tone of the series changes completely. I try to be impartial when it comes to the refereeing, because I know everybody always thinks their team got screwed. But that was one of the most poorly called series I've ever seen. When Muzzin tripped Zook in Game 2, and Zook would've had a breakaway, and Muzzin fell down and somehow Zook got called for tripping and Gaborik tied it on the PP. Or in OT when Jeff Carter stuck his stick in to Henrik's gut and yanked him out of position like a bad Vaudeville act getting pulled off stage. Puck goes in, goalie interference non-reviewable, we lose.

Honestly I think you could've changed either of those games and I think we stand a good chance of winning that series. They had the size, experience and grit, but we had the speed and skill advantage. I can remember the NBC guys saying in Game 1 that LA looked like they were having trouble keeping up with our speed. That team COULD have won it all. They just needed to set the tone, and two back-breaking OT losses go a long way toward crushing morale on one side and heaping momentum on the other.
    UGH. The Refs in those first 2 games were ridiculous. I had almost forgotten about all the missed calls, but I'll never forget the play on Hank, still no clue how that one was missed.

Senior Member Squirt Division cool papa b.'s Avatar
    Mine isn't necessarily the outcome of a game, but one individual player. Take Bobby Orr out of the equation and the Rangers win the 1972 Stanley Cup. He was truly an X-Factor if I ever saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Game 1 of the SCF vs. the Kings. Win that game, totally different series.
    This. Totally.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

5. Ratings bonanza!

If only....

My knee-jerk reaction was Game 5 of the 2104 SCF -- I thought that playing the LAK to 2OT, but winning instead of losing could have been a turning point -- they felt so well matched at that particular point in the cosmos. But winning yet 2 more games might have been a tall order.

Your choice however, seeting up a potentially winnable series agains the Hawks is very intriguing.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Moderator Junior Division

This is a good one.

I know it's odd, considering the outcome, but I thought the Rangers were the better team for most of that series. The only game they were really outplayed was the game they won.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Some good choices so far, I would throw in Game 5 of the Semi-Finals 2007 against Buffalo.
    If Drury doesn't score with 8 seconds left, we win that series and I would have liked our Chances against Ottawa in the Conference Finals at least. Not sure about the Ducks in the Finals though.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    LA looked like they were having trouble keeping up with our speed. That team COULD have won it all. They just needed to set the tone, and two back-breaking OT losses go a long way toward crushing morale on one side and heaping momentum on the other.
    Not just morale, but it eliminated any margin for error, against a championship team. Good call for recent times. The Rangers needed one of the first two and the 2014 Finals goes to a Game 7.

Phil's choice is interesting, but it doesn't just change a game, it wins the series. Not the way we played. That would feel unearned. It was also an enigmatic and weird lead-up to the game, given McD's sudden injury and the oddball lineup. He suited-up, was crippled and the offense was completely anemic.

How about instead of changing the series winner, we get a do over with McD at 100% and the regular lineup?

A different twist is changing a play that could change a game. Lothbrok mentioned a few goals, penalties or challenges in the LA Final that I'd like to change. However, my first thought when seeing this thread was the Richter goal, from half court, against the Pens.

If you do not instantly know the goal and series, you missed maybe the best Ranger team ever. I still believe Richter wasn't quite ready and wish VBK was still manning the net that year,

Senior Member Midget Division
    the all star game where tomas sandstrom separated his shoulder.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Not just morale, but it eliminated any margin for error, against a championship team. Good call for recent times. The Rangers needed one of the first two and the 2014 Finals goes to a Game 7.

Phil's choice is interesting, but it doesn't just change a game, it wins the series. Not the way we played. That would feel unearned. It was also an enigmatic and weird lead-up to the game, given McD's sudden injury and the oddball lineup. He suited-up, was crippled and the offense was completely anemic.

How about instead of changing the series winner, we get a do over with McD at 100% and the regular lineup?

A different twist is changing a play that could change a game. Lothbrok mentioned a few goals, penalties or challenges in the LA Final that I'd like to change. However, my first thought when seeing this thread was the Richter goal, from half court, against the Pens.

If you do not instantly know the goal and series, you missed maybe the best Ranger team ever. I still believe Richter wasn't quite ready and wish VBK was still manning the net that year,
    I was absolutely sick after that game. Sick.

That series changed the complexion of the entire franchise.. I'm 100% sure they would have won the cup that year.. Instead they come into 92-93 in a basic hangover, sleepwalk through the season and miss the playoffs, necessitating substantial changes before 93/94 and during the season..

Imagine they win 91/92.. This roster is a great mix of youth and experience for the next several years.. Maybe this is a mini dynasty rather in the lone cup in 94.

Keep Gartner, Patrick, Turcotte, Amonte, Weight... Just bringing that series up makes we want to puke 25 years later

Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Pick almost any of the 4 losses vs. the Devils in 2012 ECF. Really had no business losing to an inferior Devils team .Was thisclose to smashing a brand new 50 inch HDTV after that series. Simply like the 2007 series above with Buffalo, Torts ground his teams down to the point they were fried as the playoffs went on. Seems like something similar happened to CBJ this season.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/2012.html

Extra obscure-1982 Patrick Division semifinal game 5 Isles vs. Pens. Isles won game 5 in impossible comeback, beat Rangers 4-2 in competitive Division Final and then slipped and slid easily to a Cup vs. marginal Nords in ECF and Harold Snepts ugly ass uniformed Canucks in SCF. Rangers would've spanked everyone else in the tournament but couldn't overcome the Isles.

Other honorable mentions-

As above Messier not getting injured in 1992 ECF-

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/1992.html or

Habs G Bunny Laroque not getting hurt in warmups before game 2 of 1979 SCF such that Ken Dryden does not start that game instead.
    Last edited by Bugg; 07-25-2017 at 03:51 PM.

I think I gotta go game 6 2012 ECF. Fuck you Henrique.

Think we wouldv'e taken game 7 and, as great of a run LA had that year, they weren't as good as they were in 2014

Either of the game 7 flops. But also the Buffalo Series a while back. That team was a great team. I think it was game 5 that they blew that basically ended the season. If they won that game, I think they went really really far that year.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Game 1 or game 5 of 2014, game 6 of 2012, or game 7 of 2015. Any one of those.

And game 7 of the 2001 World Series.

Senior Member Mite Division rmc51's Avatar
    Either Game 1 or Game 2 of the 2014 SCF, no doubt for me. If the 3 OT games swung the other way we would have won a Cup. I think at the very least it would have gone 7 if we win either of those first 2 games.

Senior Member Mite Division rmc51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Game 1 or game 5 of 2014, game 6 of 2012, or game 7 of 2015. Any one of those.

And game 7 of the 2001 World Series.
    If we are talking any sport, then Game 7 of the 2001 WS wins it for me in a landslide. The sheer joy that would have brought to NYC after 9/11 catapults it higher than any other game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast