• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should NHL Consider Shorter Season?

Phil

The NHL schedule currently last around 180-185 days and features 82 games; each team plays once every 2.1 days, often featuring back to backs and three games in four days. A truly gruelling grind.

The improved schedule that I would propose would start a week earlier and finish by the first Monday in April. This would be a 180-190 day schedule featuring 60 games?home and away against every NHL team?meaning a game every 3.1 days.

Every team would play at least one midweek game and one weekend game every week. There would be eight game weeks where teams would play three games. These weeks would never feature back-to-back games and would always be intra-conference, meaning that teams will not have long road trips on their busier, three game weeks. Teams would also be facing other teams on their three game weeks to avoid a more rested team getting a competitive advantage.

This new schedule would also compensate for an all-star break and a Christmas break so the players and league can keep their scheduled breaks.

The playoffs, however, would be left untouched because there is no reason to change a formula that is currently working and liked by everyone involved in the game of hockey. However, the one change would be giving each team a one-week break prior to the playoffs so they can have a rest before the rigors of the playoffs begin. As things stand now, teams are lucky to have four days off before the playoff madness begins.

http://thehockeywriters.com/should-nhl-consider-shorter-season/

?

I don't think it's something they'd broach yet, let alone to 60 games, but I wonder if they'd flirt with the idea of reducing by a handful of games or so in the coming years? Get the ball rolling toward rolling back to something closer to 72?

Like the author noted, if more players (especially high-profile players like Subban) and media are talking about this, perhaps that's enough to get things in motion?

I can't imagine the NHL would even want to touch this topic until the next CBA is up renewal. When is that anyway? If they went with a shorter season how would this affect cap and salaries due to the reduced revenue? Would owners jack up ticket prices to compensate?

The NHL is already the longest season, Sept-June, how much longer do you want it?

Yes for a shorter season BUT the owners would never go for it.

Start the season one week earlier, end it one week later.

Yes, the season is long, but there are 82 games which is also a lot, but I enjoy them! :) call me egoistic.

The NHL is already the longest season, Sept-June, how much longer do you want it?

Yes for a shorter season BUT the owners would never go for it.

It's Oct - 1st week in April for 1/2 the league. There's only 2 teams left come June. All the sports are basically the same, 6-7 months.

Labor Day to Memorial Day would be a great model to follow. While we are talking season length, lets discuss the outdoor game situation. I feel like the outdoor games would be a cooler idea if they had set stadiums that hosted each one and 2 teams got invited to play at the venue. Do you think the fans would travel? My other thought for these games is to have (1) outdoor classic tournament instead of an all star tournament. Invite the top 2 teams in each division at the break and play a weekend long tournament. Bring the players back to the days of all day hockey tournaments as kids. I think it would be fun to watch also. Its a broad idea that could use some tweaking but I think the general idea would do well.

Why?

Just way too long. The season gets dragged out which leads the playoffs to get dragged out. I'm not quite sure when it changed but in the 80's and early 90's it was always done or very close to be being done by May 31.

Labor Day to Memorial Day would be a great model to follow. While we are talking season length, lets discuss the outdoor game situation. I feel like the outdoor games would be a cooler idea if they had set stadiums that hosted each one and 2 teams got invited to play at the venue. Do you think the fans would travel? My other thought for these games is to have (1) outdoor classic tournament instead of an all star tournament. Invite the top 2 teams in each division at the break and play a weekend long tournament. Bring the players back to the days of all day hockey tournaments as kids. I think it would be fun to watch also. Its a broad idea that could use some tweaking but I think the general idea would do well.

I think these are cool ideas but...fans, other than Original 6 teams, won't travel well and you're not going to get the NHLPA to sign off on that. Making the All-Star game outdoors would probably be pretty sweet, but I don't think it would drive much more attendance or anything.

Archived