Thread: Star Power in the NHL: Which Teams Have it, and How Much Does it Take to Win the Cup?

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division

Star Power in the NHL: Which Teams Have it, and How Much Does it Take to Win the Cup?

Star power in the NHL: Which teams have it, and how much does it take to win the Cup?
    By: Dom Luszczyszyn

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...to-win-the-cup

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Examining NHL Star Power: Which teams have it, which teams don't, and how much does it matter. <a href="https://t.co/BU1wpMkii4">https://t.co/BU1wpMkii4</a> <a href="https://t.co/SragVpsNQB">pic.twitter.com/SragVpsNQB</a></p>&mdash; �� dom ☀️ (@domluszczyszyn) <a href="https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/885933115889389568">July 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Love the graphic in the Dom's tweet. Mods - can you help with the above twitterimage blockquote {just back from sort of vacation so my browser is amnesiac about all deleted cookies/passwords for pic hosting]

The Rangers rank very low it seems.

dom ☀️‏Verified account @domluszczyszyn 41m41 minutes ago

Examining NHL Star Power: Which teams have it, which teams don't, and how much does it matter. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...to-win-the-cup
    Looks like our erstwhile lack of "Star Power" hasn't stopped us from getting close to the cup, but I bet there's more than a few of us think if we' had that little bit more we'd have been drooling at pictured of blueshirted individuals licking the silver chalice.

Over the past decade, the best player on each Cup-winning team has been better than 99 percent of the league at their position on average, with the worst player at 97.7 percent. That’s pretty similar to the NBA as it essentially equates to an MVP calibre season. In both sports it seems it’s hard to go the distance without at least one guy performing at that level. That’s what it takes to win, but even that alone isn’t enough. Teams need more than one guy who can carry the load as evidenced by four slots over the 90th percentile and one more very close to it.
    Would one more star, performing at star level, have done it one of these past seasons when we got into the final 2 or final 4. Whaddya think?
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 07-14-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    So the teams with the best players playing their best hockey are winning the cup... I never would have guessed that in 1000 years.

Rangers don't have the stars or the guys not named Lundqvist showing up when it matters. They lost to a worse team because they played awful hockey. Zuc showed up for 1 game, McDonagh showed for 2. Stepan might have had a few good shifts. Yeah - that's not going to get the job done.
    They lack leadership and accountability. Other than Henrik, no one seems to care if their teammate shows up. It's happened since "personalities" were removed during the Tortorella era. (in Lemans terms - they got no balls)

Senior Member Midget Division
    its our main issue. i thought Nash was going to be that guy for us and i'm sure the Rangers did too considering his contract.

Fact is we have a nice group of guys but no one who can take the team on his back to get to the next level. Hank for all his accolades is not the guy either.

i also think your'e spot on right. they are too coddled at the Garden.

Senior Member Bantam Division BrooklynBoy89's Avatar
    All that list shows me is that the Rangers completely over-perform, YEAR AFTER YEAR, given the lack of actual star power that they have. Hell, Hank isn't even on that list, in any Tier. Granted he didn't have a great year, but we have 2 forwards (Zuc and Kreider) and NOW 2 D (Shatty and Mac) on those Tiered lists. How Shatty is above Mac is beyond me, but whatever.. All it shows is that the Rangers are near the bottom in star power, yet regularly compete into the Final 4-8 teams left in the NHL, so you tell me why that happens. We never suck ass and get a top pick, the teams that are successful, the Hawks, Pens, Kings (These 3 combine for the last 8 of 9 Cups won), were all bottom dwellers for years. Hell, the Kings can't even make the playoffs in a SHIT division. We aren't winning Cups because we never sucked ass completely and got a top pick to change the Franchise. SIMPLE. AS. THAT.

Moderator Junior Division
    This article takes a really long time to say that tanking works lol

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy89 View Post
    All that list shows me is that the Rangers completely over-perform, YEAR AFTER YEAR, given the lack of actual star power that they have. Hell, Hank isn't even on that list, in any Tier. Granted he didn't have a great year, but we have 2 forwards (Zuc and Kreider) and NOW 2 D (Shatty and Mac) on those Tiered lists. How Shatty is above Mac is beyond me, but whatever.. All it shows is that the Rangers are near the bottom in star power, yet regularly compete into the Final 4-8 teams left in the NHL, so you tell me why that happens. We never suck ass and get a top pick, the teams that are successful, the Hawks, Pens, Kings (These 3 combine for the last 8 of 9 Cups won), were all bottom dwellers for years. Hell, the Kings can't even make the playoffs in a SHIT division. We aren't winning Cups because we never sucked ass completely and got a top pick to change the Franchise. SIMPLE. AS. THAT.
    LA also took a good chance on getting Jeff Carter for NOTHING. I don't think I was posting here at that time, but I was pushing hard for the Rangers to go for Carter. People cited possible attitude problems and thought he had a bad contract. His contract is a steal. What could have been.

Jack Johnson and a first-rounder wasn't "nothing." That's a pretty serious haul.

And no 11-year contract that takes a player through the age of 36 is a steal.
    Last edited by Future; 07-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Jack Johnson and a first-rounder wasn't "nothing." That's a pretty serious haul.

And no 11-year contract that takes a player through the age of 36 is a steal.
    Not a serious haul if you don't think much of Jack Johnson. I also don't know who they picked with that 1st.(Edit, the conditional pick was moved to the 13 draft where they selected the amazing Mark Dano woooo hooo!)

An 11 year contract for a legit top line center/sniper at 5.2 mill signed at the age of 25 is a steal. All the prime years were/are locked in. You probably get three non top tier years out of that deal on such a player. Stepan makes more money than him.

Carter is probably the best bang for the buck of any top tier scorer not on their entry level deal.
    Last edited by The Dude; 07-18-2017 at 11:04 PM.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This article takes a really long time to say that tanking works lol
    It's an offseason thing, maybe.
    But P.S. How did the Islanders and oilers fare? -- they both still seem to be falling hopelessly with oodles of high first round picks to choose from. Seems tanking only works for some and not others?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    its our main issue. i thought Nash was going to be that guy for us and i'm sure the Rangers did too considering his contract.

Fact is we have a nice group of guys but no one who can take the team on his back to get to the next level. Hank for all his accolades is not the guy either.

i also think your'e spot on right. they are too coddled at the Garden.

If it's the truth we're facing, the odds seem to be extremely high against teams that don't draft — or never put themselves in a position to draft —*these generational talents who also have the ability to "put the team on their backs" for want of a better expression.

I wonder how many of us thought Rick Nash would be close enough to that player before he arrived? But NYR drew a Queen instead of an Ace

Looking back, Jagr was even closer to being that player, Ace or King of Spades, but he never quite had the supporting cast for a royal flush — although there were a couple of jokers — Gomez and Avery. Or felt comfortable being the Savior/Captain Fantastic. The hand hand kinda played K Q J J 10 instead of A K Q J 10.

Now, our hand looks more high-class than elite, more like a middling full house to me, QQQ99. But it still looks far to good to make tanking even thinkable. So what next? Is there any hope or are we really doomed like some of us the Knicks fans, but able to enjoy a lot more wins and playoff appearances in the futility?

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but … where's the hope two, three of four years from now?
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    For me, the hope 2-4 years from now is better than the hope I have presently. Henrik is cooked; he has lost all of the calm, cool and collected poise to his game. Everything looks frantic and like it's taking him way too much effort. He used to make it look easy. He's a slower and slower starter every year, and he couldn't come up with a routine save or two when we needed them vs. Ottawa.

I'm looking toward Shestyorkin, who is unproven but is nonetheless an exciting prospect. I'm looking for the days when Rick Nash is done eating up $8 mil to float, Staal's done eating up $6 mil to plod, and we've moved on from this current group that just wasn't able to get it done. It's time for a change. There are a LOT of question marks, but the unproven to me is more promising than the proven incapable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    For me, the hope 2-4 years from now is better than the hope I have presently. Henrik is cooked; he has lost all of the calm, cool and collected poise to his game. Everything looks frantic and like it's taking him way too much effort. He used to make it look easy. He's a slower and slower starter every year, and he couldn't come up with a routine save or two when we needed them vs. Ottawa.
    This is just not accurate.

He's always had spells where he looked frantic and disheveled, including the year we went to the Cup final. He was maybe the best player - not just goalie - through the first two months or so of the 15-16 season and was single-handedly keeping the team competitive.