Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers, Lias Andersson Agree to 3-Year Entry-Level Contract

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Rangers, Lias Andersson Agree to 3-Year Entry-Level Contract

@NYRangers OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with forward Lias Andersson on a three-year, entry-level contract.

Lias Andersson was selected 7th overall in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft using the pick that the Rangers received from the Arizona Coyotes along with Anthony DeAngelo for Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta.

Click here to view the article.

Moderator Junior Division
    That probably means Hartford to start the season, though I think the organization wants him with the Rangers day 1. I feel like Anze Kopitar would be a reach, but the two had similar production playing in Europe and debuted in North America at 19 (which Lias will be in October).
    Last edited by Future; 07-13-2017 at 11:35 AM.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    That probably means Hartford to start the season.
    Not an area I'm really up on. If he stays in Europe, does his ELC slide a year?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    If he plays less than 10 NHL games it will slide...

What is an Entry Level Slide?
    If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.
    https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#els

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    It would still slide. An example is Filip Forsberg. Drafted and then signed. Went back to his team in Allsvenskan and contract slid. It would slide for just this season though.

I kind of interpret it as they wouldn't sign him if they didn't want him here, now.

AV said they're going to give him every opportunity to make the roster.

I agree that it's definitely a means of giving him the ability to compete for a spot. He's definitely in consideration for that 3C and probably has a lead unless the Rangers acquire someone.

I know he's younger and doesn't have the same North American experience as him, but I wonder if Lias can mimic Stepan's rookie year. Again, 20 goals seems lofty, but for a smart player who can, conceivably, play around 16:00 a night with talented wingers (Miller and Vesey?) maybe that's not so far off.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I don't think it's far off. This team has a lot of holes in it but veteran leadership is not one of them. He'll have plenty of that so it's just a matter of his body and talent. If his talent is there and his body is ready there's probably no reason he can't mimic stepan's rookie year. But those things might not be in place. He is only 19, so we'll have to see.

I think you might get something closer to a Jimmy Vesey/Artem Anisimov rookie season than Stepan. I don't know if he'd get the opportunities Stepan did in his rookie season, but you never know. Andersson has some talent that he can use. I think he should absolutely be between Vesey and Nash. That's a line that would be physically imposing on the opposition and really work the puck deep.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Lia

Senior Member Junior Division
    I get the sense that the Rangers are hoping he can make the team out of camp. If he does, and DeAngelo makes the team (as he should), that trade will be a big one for the Rangers.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I think you might get something closer to a Jimmy Vesey/Artem Anisimov rookie season than Stepan. I don't know if he'd get the opportunities Stepan did in his rookie season, but you never know. Andersson has some talent that he can use. I think he should absolutely be between Vesey and Nash. That's a line that would be physically imposing on the opposition and really work the puck deep.
    Yea, maybe. I just wanted to reference Stepan because he was so young. Vesey's what, 23, and Ani was 22? Stepan was only 20 when he got his shot, but you're right in that I don't think Lias will get the same PP time that Stepan did, though Stepan only had 10 points on the PP that year.

At 5-on-5, Stepan had 18G, 17A in 13:37. So maybe something like 15G, 15A wouldn't be that surprising.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Lia
    I LOL'd.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I get the sense that the Rangers are hoping he can make the team out of camp. If he does, and DeAngelo makes the team (as he should), that trade will be a big one for the Rangers.
    I'm thinking the same thing -- if he can make it on to the roster out of camp, I'm sure they'd be delighted.

If he can get a nice quantity of NHL games experience — even if not a full season's worth, that would put him that much closer to being able to contribute meaningfully than he already might be ... especially if management is still thinking in terms of a narrowing "Henrik window."
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing -- if he can make it on to the roster out of camp, I'm sure they'd be delighted.

If he can get a nice quantity of NHL games experience — even if not a full season's worth, that would put him that much closer to being able to contribute meaningfully than he already might be ... especially if management is still thinking in terms of a narrowing "Henrik window."
    I'm so sick of Hank's "window." It's a myth.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Yea, maybe. I just wanted to reference Stepan because he was so young. Vesey's what, 23, and Ani was 22? Stepan was only 20 when he got his shot, but you're right in that I don't think Lias will get the same PP time that Stepan did, though Stepan only had 10 points on the PP that year.

At 5-on-5, Stepan had 18G, 17A in 13:37. So maybe something like 15G, 15A wouldn't be that surprising.
    Less so age, more so likening it to the style of play and opportunities he'll receive. Andersson plays a game more like them and will receive similar assignments. I think Stepan was a really big exception. I'd love it if Andersson can put up 45 points though.

Stepan played with some of the bigger names though. He was with Gáborík a lot throughout his rookie year. He was centering Prospal and Gáborík to close out the year. I don't think you'd see the same opportunities for Andersson though. I know I mentioned him playing with Nash but current Nash doesn't equal Gáborík of Stepan's rookie season by any means.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Less so age, more so likening it to the style of play and opportunities he'll receive. Andersson plays a game more like them and will receive similar assignments. I think Stepan was a really big exception. I'd love it if Andersson can put up 45 points though.

Stepan played with some of the bigger names though. He was with Gáborík a lot throughout his rookie year. He was centering Prospal and Gáborík to close out the year. I don't think you'd see the same opportunities for Andersson though. I know I mentioned him playing with Nash but current Nash doesn't equal Gáborík of Stepan's rookie season by any means.
    He played a lot with Avery and... Fedotenko? Both decent role players that would make it easy for a rookie. Something Lias won't get with Fast and Puempel

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He played a lot with Avery and... Fedotenko? Both decent role players that would make it easy for a rookie. Something Lias won't get with Fast and Puempel
    Rotating cast of Avery, Christensen and Fedotenko to start. Then found his place with Prospal, Wolski, Frolov and Gáborík throughout the season.

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Rotating cast of Avery, Christensen and Fedotenko to start. Then found his place with Prospal, Wolski, Frolov and Gáborík throughout the season.
    So basically played with everyone?

With Lias it all depends on his wingers. Centering the 3rd line with Vesey and Nash/Miller will ofcourse inflate his numbers more then if he centers the 4th line with Fast and Puempel.

Personally I would be fine having him on the 3rd and DD on the 4th line at the start of the season. If things dont go the way we hope just send him to the A and give him more time to adapt.

Kreids - Zib - Buch
    Miller - Hayes - Zucc
    Nash - Lias - Vesey
    Puempel - DD - Fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast