• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ron Cook: Don't Be Surprised if Penguins Trade Phil Kessel

Phil

I believe Phil Kessel will be traded. It might not happen this week or this month or even this offseason. But I believe it will happen sooner rather than later.

Tocchet?s departure could hasten the process.

It was clear in June, by the end of the Penguins? second consecutive Stanley Cup run, that the organization wasn?t thrilled with Kessel. He scored 23 goals in 82 games during the regular season, not nearly enough for a player with his marvelous shooting skills. He had a huge goal ? one of the most significant of the postseason ? to beat Ottawa, 1-0, in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference final but scored just two more goals in the final 11 playoff games. Even though he had 23 points in the 25 postseason games, it was hard to find anyone in organization to say he was playing well.

My belief is Evgeni Malkin wasn?t thrilled to play on the same line with Kessel. And Sidney Crosby? Sullivan acknowledged Crosby and Kessel have no chemistry together. None

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/07/11/ron-cook-rick-tocchet-coyotes-coach-phil-kessel-penguins-nhl/stories/201707120024

He'd be such a good fit here.

I don't think we have the assets to get him though.

Rangers? Sure they do. You just wouldn't feel comfortable dealing them. Kreider would be the biggest piece going the other way IMO. I don't even think you'd need to add a whole hell of a lot more to it, either. It probably doesn't work one-for-one, but there's a deal to be made there.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rangers? Sure they do. You just wouldn't feel comfortable dealing them. Kreider would be the biggest piece going the other way IMO. I don't even think you'd need to add a whole hell of a lot more to it, either. It probably doesn't work one-for-one, but there's a deal to be made there.

He doesn't make this team better if you're trading Miller/Kreider though. I mean that he'd be a great add to the lineup, so it would be beneficial if you could trade prospects/utures to get him.

He doesn't make this team better if you're trading Miller/Kreider though. I mean that he'd be a great add to the lineup, so it would be beneficial if you could trade prospects/utures to get him.

Which brings us back to your original point. The Rangers probably don't have the assets to pull it off. They'd also need to offset salary anyway just to fit Kessel.

Phil Kessel has been on the Pens for 2 years. The Pens have 2 cups. It's not a coincidence. They're the NHL equivalent of a "super team". Most teams would be lucky to have a Crosby or a Malkin or a Kessel, Pens have all three. This article is a load of shit.

Archived