Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps There's Something to Those Bozak Rumors

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Perhaps There's Something to Those Bozak Rumors

As Brooks noted, defenseman Nick Holden, who carries with him a $1.65M AAV for one more year, could be used to offset the salary cap space needed to bring in Bozak. In fact, if no other significantly priced items were included in the deal, a one-for-one trade should leave both teams salary cap compliant to start the season.

Plus, there's much to like about Bozak beyond the handful of positives Brooks shared in his column. Not only is he an ace-in-the-hole at the dot—an area of the game the Rangers could surely improve—but he’s a fantastic skater with solid two-way instincts. Should the Rangers acquire him, those attributes should translate well to Alain Vigneault’s system that relies so heavily on quality skating and intelligence in all three zones.

Best of all, Bozak is a quality special teams player. His 63 Power Play Points (PPP) are fourth-highest on the Leafs over the last five seasons behind Nazem Kadri, Phil Kessel (now with the Pittsburgh Penguins), and James van Riemsdyk.

In terms of possession metrics, he’s also been particularly reliable over the last two seasons in which the Leafs have bounced back with a star-studded cast of young talent. He has a two-year Corsi-For percentage (CF%) of 52.1%, and a Fenwick-for percentage (FF%) of 50.55% over the same span, all at five-on-five, and all while skating with only a slight edge toward offensive zone starts (oZS%) (54.85 oZS% to 45.15 dZS%).

Oddly, though his total time-on-ice has fallen each of the last three seasons, falling to a career-low 16:25 last season, as Brooks highlighted originally, his Points Per Game Played (P/GP) has actually increased in each of those seasons, as he finished last year with a 0.71 P/GP average. At the age of 31 (he’ll turn 32 in March) it’s difficult to project just how likely it is to continue to increase again this season, but even if it stayed flat, that’s still a projection of 58 points over 82 games, which is stellar second-line center production in today’s NHL.

Click here to view the article.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Good analytic numbers, he might just fit here to replace Steps

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedForContact View Post
    As Brooks noted, defenseman Nick Holden, who carries with him a $1.65M AAV for one more year, could be used to offset the salary cap space needed to bring in Bozak. In fact, if no other significantly priced items were included in the deal, a one-for-one trade should leave both teams salary cap compliant to start the season.

Plus, there's much to like about Bozak beyond the handful of positives Brooks shared in his column. Not only is he an ace-in-the-hole at the dot—an area of the game the Rangers could surely improve—but he’s a fantastic skater with solid two-way instincts. Should the Rangers acquire him, those attributes should translate well to Alain Vigneault’s system that relies so heavily on quality skating and intelligence in all three zones.

Best of all, Bozak is a quality special teams player. His 63 Power Play Points (PPP) are fourth-highest on the Leafs over the last five seasons behind Nazem Kadri, Phil Kessel (now with the Pittsburgh Penguins), and James van Riemsdyk.

In terms of possession metrics, he’s also been particularly reliable over the last two seasons in which the Leafs have bounced back with a star-studded cast of young talent. He has a two-year Corsi-For percentage (CF%) of 52.1%, and a Fenwick-for percentage (FF%) of 50.55% over the same span, all at five-on-five, and all while skating with only a slight edge toward offensive zone starts (oZS%) (54.85 oZS% to 45.15 dZS%).

Oddly, though his total time-on-ice has fallen each of the last three seasons, falling to a career-low 16:25 last season, as Brooks highlighted originally, his Points Per Game Played (P/GP) has actually increased in each of those seasons, as he finished last year with a 0.71 P/GP average. At the age of 31 (he’ll turn 32 in March) it’s difficult to project just how likely it is to continue to increase again this season, but even if it stayed flat, that’s still a projection of 58 points over 82 games, which is stellar second-line center production in today’s NHL.

Click here to view the article.
    OK you got me. Hook is set.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    So long as he comes cheap i'm on board.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    The premise of the article is fine, but that it would matter for the Leafs as far as their salary cap is concerned isn't true. While yes, they are over the salary cap at the moment, the Summer Cap gives them a 10% cushion ($7.5M) and on day one of the season, Nathan Horton ($5.3M) go on LTIR. It is also possible that Joffrey Lupul ($5.25M), who hasn't played since February 2016, might also spend his last season with the Leafs on LTIR.

This is Bozak's final year, so removing his salary doesn't matter for the RFAs they will need to re-sign after this coming season. They haven't really replaced his role in their lineup, so if they remove their leading faceoff man, they'll need to move a skilled forward they've been playing at wing back to center, or elevate the role of one of their depth centers.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Has there been mention of this anywhere else? The guy would fill a void, but I don't see how there's "something to " this besides the hope the Rangers can get an actual top six forward for their garbage.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    The premise of the article is fine, but that it would matter for the Leafs as far as their salary cap is concerned isn't true. While yes, they are over the salary cap at the moment, the Summer Cap gives them a 10% cushion ($7.5M) and on day one of the season, Nathan Horton ($5.3M) go on LTIR. It is also possible that Joffrey Lupul ($5.25M), who hasn't played since February 2016, might also spend his last season with the Leafs on LTIR.

This is Bozak's final year, so removing his salary doesn't matter for the RFAs they will need to re-sign after this coming season. They haven't really replaced his role in their lineup, so if they remove their leading faceoff man, they'll need to move a skilled forward they've been playing at wing back to center, or elevate the role of one of their depth centers.
    You're right about LTIR on Horton and probably Lupul, too.

If they're moving Bozak, however, they already have internal options to backfill his role. As it stands they’ve got extras in Eric Fehr, Ben Smith, Frederik Guathier, and the recently signed Adam Brooks. All of whom are or can play center.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Has there been mention of this anywhere else? The guy would fill a void, but I don't see how there's "something to " this besides the hope the Rangers can get an actual top six forward for their garbage.
    Other than Brooks? FullTiltNYR—a Rangers blog—also reported it.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sign me up.. I'd take Bozak in a second

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    They aren't getting him for Holden straight up. It's going to take another piece, at minimum a 2nd rounder I would think, but I would think the Leafs are looking for more immediate help.

It's a great idea, I just don't know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    They aren't getting him for Holden straight up. It's going to take another piece, at minimum a 2nd rounder I would think, but I would think the Leafs are looking for more immediate help.

It's a great idea, I just don't know how it works.
    I wouldn't think so, either, but we're still living in the limelight of Hall for Larsson and Eberle for Strome.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    I hope we get him so Sam can call him Ryan Bozak all season.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    This guy says that TOR is at least in talks with the Rangers...

https://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/sta...59588648669185

If they're talking to CGY, I wonder if someone like Giordano is in play. The same guy also mentions that they're looking for a #1 D

Senior Member Midget Division
    Holden and a 2nd? We want to trade a 2nd for a rental? Thought we didn't want to do that anymore? I don't think I am down with that. Maybe I am. That's tough.

//reported Junior Division
    Would anyone be interested in targeting Kadri?
    I'd imagine the ask would be something more like Skjei than Holden. With Shatty in, Smith re-signed, and McD locked up, would anyone consider that?
    Kadri has 5 years left at 4.5m and might be a good 1-2 punch with Zib.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    Would anyone be interested in targeting Kadri?
    I'd imagine the ask would be something more like Skjei than Holden. With Shatty in, Smith re-signed, and McD locked up, would anyone consider that?
    Kadri has 5 years left at 4.5m and might be a good 1-2 punch with Zib.
    Good God no.

Why would the Leafs want to move Kadri, is the better question? He's on a steal of a contract. It's Bozak who makes the most sense to move given his age and impending UFA status.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This guy says that TOR is at least in talks with the Rangers...

https://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/sta...59588648669185

If they're talking to CGY, I wonder if someone like Giordano is in play. The same guy also mentions that they're looking for a #1 D
    their not getting a #1 Dman for a 1yr rental of a #2 center especially from the flames who dont need a center (monahan/backlund/bennett) i suppose they could move bennett to wing but either way they wont trade a top dman for a 3rd line center

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Eh, it isn't really a rental if you get him for the whole season.

I'm on the idea here, but reasonably speaking, I don't think we need a "pass first" guy like Bozak - we have enough of those. We need someone gritty, who can win faceoffs, get dirty, and make it worth having Shattenkirk and Z-Bad running the PP
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Mite Division jsm7302's Avatar
    With Shattenkirk and Smith signed....does a move like Bozak and a 2nd for Skeij worthwhile? Personally ,I'd give Holden and a 2nd for Bozak. Gets rid of a problem in Holden, addresses our weak center ice position and makes this team ultimately better.

I have so much faith in this front office than the last regime. Couldn't be happier with the off season thus far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast