• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

EDM Re-Sign F Connor McDavid to 8-Year/$100M+ Extension; $12.5M AAV

Karan

07-05-mcdavidjh.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&h=480&crop=1

The Edmonton Oilers and Connor McDavid have come to a contract extension agreement.

McDavid has signed a contract extension with the team worth $100 million over eight years. It?ll kick in for the 2018-19 season and run through 2025-26.

His new contract translates to $12.5 million per season. That?s the highest annual average value for a contract in league history.

?This may be one of the largest contracts ever given in the NHL, but I can assure you it easily could have been a lot higher in value and shorter in term,? president of hockey operations and general manager Peter Chiarelli said.

Agent Jeff Jackson says McDavid contract includes $86-million in signing bonuses.

? Reid Wilkins (@ReidWilkins) July 5, 2017

http://globalnews.ca/news/3576695/edmonton-oilers-connor-mcdavid-contract-extension/

So with Draisatl likely to get in the range of $7.5M, how are the Oilers going to field a competitive roster in the years to come with $20M AAV locked up in 2 players? Gotta wonder which good young player they'll have to trade simply because they can't afford to resign them...

So with Draisatl likely to get in the range of $7.5M, how are the Oilers going to field a competitive roster in the years to come with $20M AAV locked up in 2 players? Gotta wonder which good young player they'll have to trade simply because they can't afford to resign them...

That's what people have been saying about the Blackhawks and Pens.

That's what people have been saying about the Blackhawks and Pens.

Well for one, the Oilers are in Canada and "dear leader" could give a RATS ASS about teams in Canada and for 2 the Pens are the "chosen ones" as decreed by same "dear leader"

What does that last part mean exactly?

The bit about bonuses? It means the contract is buyout proof. Buyouts occur on NHL salary, not signing bonuses, so even if the Oilers decided to get rid of him at whatever point, they'd save almost nothing as part of the process.

By icing a rotation of inexpensive wingers and counting the rings on their fingers?

Rarely are teams hurt by their top money-makers. It's the $4M and $5M wingers and B-level players who kill you.

I get that they wanted to make him the highest paid player and he is probably deserving of such but did they really need to go that high? Don't you think he would have signed for $11 mil a year? It would have made the Draistel negotiations a little easier I think.

I get that they wanted to make him the highest paid player and he is probably deserving of such but did they really need to go that high? Don't you think he would have signed for $11 mil a year? It would have made the Draistel negotiations a little easier I think.

Its gonna be interesting to see what happens during the season.

McDavid 9 points in 13 playoff games. Draisaitl had 16. If Draistail scores 90+ points next year, he'll be looking for $10+

I would take him here for 15m.

Fielding a competetive team with the best player on the planet will always be easy. They still have 52m ish for the rest 11 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies. That is ~2.7m per player. Then account for 4th liners, entry level contracts and backup goalie to a minimum contract, it will work out fine. Capitals have 30m tied up in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Oshie.

Would you rather have Stepan and Staal or McJesus and an ELC defenseman?

Well for one, the Oilers are in Canada and "dear leader" could give a RATS ASS about teams in Canada and for 2 the Pens are the "chosen ones" as decreed by same "dear leader"

I'll be honest, I have no idea what this means lol

The bit about bonuses? It means the contract is buyout proof. Buyouts occur on NHL salary, not signing bonuses, so even if the Oilers decided to get rid of him at whatever point, they'd save almost nothing as part of the process.

By icing a rotation of inexpensive wingers and counting the rings on their fingers?

Rarely are teams hurt by their top money-makers. It's the $4M and $5M wingers and B-level players who kill you.

Well yeah they could put a bunch of scrub forwards with those two superstars and will be an offensive team. I'm thinking more along the lines of how they'll retain key players like Klefbom, Nurse, Talbot...all who will get huge extensions. Your fingers will be pretty ring free without defense and goaltending.

Well yeah they could put a bunch of scrub forwards with those two superstars and will be an offensive team. I'm thinking more along the lines of how they'll retain key players like Klefbom, Nurse, Talbot...all who will get huge extensions. Your fingers will be pretty ring free without defense and goaltending.

Fleury had 5,7m in Pittsburgh and Letang 7,2m with Crosby and Malkin taking up almost 19m. Things will work out.

Guideline for winning the Stanley cup starts with an elite center, its that simple. Every cup winner last 10 years (probably more) got that.

Archived