• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TOR Signs F Patrick Marleau to 3-Year/$18.75M Contact: $6.35M AAV

Phil

I actually don't get this move for them either. Leafs were 5th in scoring behind the Rangers. What's the point of this? Veteran leadership? Expensive depth? :wtf:

East is all about offense, and even the best teams are getting better.

This isn't one of those moves, though.

And that's not even discussing the worst FA contract handed out this summer.

In terms of the player, I actually think he's a fine fit on the ice. His speed and veteran leadership will fuse well with the way this Leafs team is built.

But literally everything else about this is bad. High AAV over multiple years, including overlapping years in which they're going to have to re-sign Matthews, Marner, and Nylander, as well as Soshnikov, and Leivo. They’ll also need to make judgement calls on JVR, Bozak, and Komarov after this season. Add in a full No-Movement Clause, and the highly critical Toronto media that he's never had to experience playing in such a lax environment like San Jose for his entire career and it's a recipe for disaster.

He's going to need to be a scoring machine, which, to be honest, he might be able to do on Matthews and Nylander line. But, holy Christ, that's a lot of pressure to perform.

Wow... this for an-almost 38 year old who didn't break 50 points in either of his last two seasons?

This is turning out to be a pretty desperate offseason for numerous teams... reminds me of the one year when they signed Jeff Finger for like 5 million.

Glad we're staying out of this mess

On paper, it makes no sense.

As a hockey move, and considering the personnel in the office and behind the bench, I actually get it.

They're trying to not become the Avalanch/Flyers - in which a young crop grows up but without successful leadership. Yes, Robidas existed and there are players "like that" who roam the league. But if you look at D. Moore - he'll teach them work ethic and defense. However, what he doesn't command is the respect of a "winner".

He's always been the utility knife of the NHL and he's made a fantastic career doing so, but let's be real, that may help some of the more "grindy" types - but to someone like a Matthews or a Kadri - they won't see him as Apples - Apples.

Marleau, while not a "winner" has excelled at every level of the sport and is someone they can look up to. Yes, the deal is somewhat nuts, especially for the term. But, they probably (haven't looked at contracts) have it figured out that this bridges them to their major signings/decisions.

So yeah, on paper, it's a bit off the reservation and it would not make sense for most teams in the league - especially us. But, through the right lens - I "get it"

On paper, it makes no sense.

As a hockey move, and considering the personnel in the office and behind the bench, I actually get it.

They're trying to not become the Avalanch/Flyers - in which a young crop grows up but without successful leadership. Yes, Robidas existed and there are players "like that" who roam the league. But if you look at D. Moore - he'll teach them work ethic and defense. However, what he doesn't command is the respect of a "winner".

He's always been the utility knife of the NHL and he's made a fantastic career doing so, but let's be real, that may help some of the more "grindy" types - but to someone like a Matthews or a Kadri - they won't see him as Apples - Apples.

Marleau, while not a "winner" has excelled at every level of the sport and is someone they can look up to. Yes, the deal is somewhat nuts, especially for the term. But, they probably (haven't looked at contracts) have it figured out that this bridges them to their major signings/decisions.

So yeah, on paper, it's a bit off the reservation and it would not make sense for most teams in the league - especially us. But, through the right lens - I "get it"

My only issue is that Marleau has played 20 years with the same team and hasn't got any hardware to show for it... don't know how much the youngsters there will look up to him. I never really saw him a leader type either, but I'm not in the locker room so who knows. I do know though that Pavelski was picked over him and Thornton to be captain despite being a much younger player.

My only issue is that Marleau has played 20 years with the same team and hasn't got any hardware to show for it... don't know how much the youngsters there will look up to him. I never really saw him a leader type either, but I'm not in the locker room so who knows. I do know though that Pavelski was picked over him and Thornton to be captain despite being a much younger player.

I mean...he's 62nd all-time in points and one of 45 members of the 500 goal club.. That's something for three 20 year olds to aspire to...

I mean...he's 62nd all-time in points and one of 45 members of the 500 goal club.. That's something for three 20 year olds to aspire to...

One had a father in the NHL, the other had a family full of pro athletes. I don't think they need some old washed up dude sucking up all the cap space when they already have a very aged lineup.

First kuznetzov and then this?

Insanity.

This maple leafs team didn't even need to add anyone imo, just get another year older. Now they've handcuffed any smart moves they could be making in the future for three years. Insane deal.

Archived