Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: What's it Going to Take to Get Duchene to the Rangers?

  1. #21
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,189
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    While Tavares is one of the better centers in the League and we would love to have his talent, I'm not sure he is a right fit here. His little bit too slow for the style of game this team is constructed. Speed!
    I think he is slower then Stepan was, abviously with more talent.
    I might be completely wrong here.
    Lack of foot speed is more than made up for by high hockey IQ and superior scoring talent. That's what allowed Stepan to find success, and what hasn't stopped Hayes from scoring, either.

    Ideally you want top-flight speed, too, but Tavares is a game-breaking talent. He'd fit anywhere.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #22
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    3,853
    Rep Power
    32
    good god, i think my islander fan best friend would throw himself off the bklyn bridge if they lost tavares to us

  3. #23
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,955
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Relax and enjoy the summer which brings warm weather, sunny days, boating, fishing, swimming and BASEBALL! NYR mgnt. will come to the rescue and defuse the legion of doom.
    I'm a Met fan, I get sea sick and I HATE fish. Guess I'll just have to BBQ and get drunk.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,955
    Rep Power
    41
    Duchene attends Avs camp with both sides reportedly 'committed to trade'
    https://www.thescore.com/news/1373093
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

    They need to get this guy. Build a deal around DeAngelo and Hayes. Throw in a 2nd I don't care. They need an actual top six center. Forget my thoughts that Duchene can be a game changer. Fuck it. They need someone capable of playing on that top line or even the 2nd line. I seriously hope that if they don't make a trade, they invest time in Miller being that player. I can't I just can't deal with Hayes getting more ice time in that role. It's really bothering me.

  5. #25
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,659
    Rep Power
    55
    The quote from Duchene in that article makes me feel so bad for him.

    I'm here to honor my contract, I'm here for the respect of the fans and I'm here for my teammates
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  6. #26
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,076
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Duchene attends Avs camp with both sides reportedly 'committed to trade'
    https://www.thescore.com/news/1373093
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

    They need to get this guy. Build a deal around DeAngelo and Hayes. Throw in a 2nd I don't care. They need an actual top six center. Forget my thoughts that Duchene can be a game changer. Fuck it. They need someone capable of playing on that top line or even the 2nd line. I seriously hope that if they don't make a trade, they invest time in Miller being that player. I can't I just can't deal with Hayes getting more ice time in that role. It's really bothering me.
    They aren't going to make Miller a center. Its well documented they prefer him at wing. Hayes had a very good year last season. I don't see how he hasn't earned the shot at being the #2 center. He had 17 goals, 49 points, and a +10 in 16:34 per game while starting 59.3% of his shifts in the D zone. I see no reason to think he can't put up better numbers in a more offensive role. And that's beside the fact that trading Hayes for Duchene doesn't actually solve the issue of who the #3 center will be...

  7. #27
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,555
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Rangers are looking at something like this to start the season:

    Kreider - Zib - MZA
    Vesey - Miller - Nash
    Grabner - Hayes - Buch
    Nieves - Andersson - Fast/Puempel
    UFA depth forward, preferably a center

    McDonagh - Shattenkirk
    Skjei - Smith
    Staal - DeAngelo
    Holden

    Fast in for Puemp when he's healthy. See what that does and tweak as necessary.
    DD is probably in that spot instead of Andersson. I doubt they keep him if he's going to be getting 4th line minutes with weak linemates.

  8. #28
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,555
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    They aren't going to make Miller a center. Its well documented they prefer him at wing. Hayes had a very good year last season. I don't see how he hasn't earned the shot at being the #2 center. He had 17 goals, 49 points, and a +10 in 16:34 per game while starting 59.3% of his shifts in the D zone. I see no reason to think he can't put up better numbers in a more offensive role. And that's beside the fact that trading Hayes for Duchene doesn't actually solve the issue of who the #3 center will be...
    AV flat out said that Miller is starting camp at center...

  9. #29
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,555
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Duchene attends Avs camp with both sides reportedly 'committed to trade'
    https://www.thescore.com/news/1373093
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

    They need to get this guy. Build a deal around DeAngelo and Hayes. Throw in a 2nd I don't care. They need an actual top six center. Forget my thoughts that Duchene can be a game changer. Fuck it. They need someone capable of playing on that top line or even the 2nd line. I seriously hope that if they don't make a trade, they invest time in Miller being that player. I can't I just can't deal with Hayes getting more ice time in that role. It's really bothering me.
    Why would you trade Hayes for him? That leaves us with the same depth problems and only a marginally better player lol

    You trade a winger to have 3 strong centers, not another center.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,955
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Why would you trade Hayes for him? That leaves us with the same depth problems and only a marginally better player lol

    You trade a winger to have 3 strong centers, not another center.
    Because I don't want to pay Hayes down the road.

    I think moving him and adding the better offensive player in Duchene (IMO), who has first line capabilities (IMO), then using Desharnais as the 3rd line center for the year while gradually sliding Anderson into the line up as a 3rd or 4th line center, is a better game plan than giving Hayes more minutes against better competition.

    I'm glad to hear AV has said Miller will start camp at center. I'm not sure if I heard about that. I really like what little I've seen from him at center. I think he gets more engaged, and uses his speed a hell of a lot more. I feel his speed is an under rated part of his game. He seems to go right to the net with the puck (and fast) as a center.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,682
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    All of these guys performed roughly at the same offensive production as Stepan. It will be interesting to see if A) 1 or 2 of them take another step forward and 2) if any of them can maintain the production against other team's top players...something Stepan had to do.
    Hopeful that given the linemates, ice time and PP time Stepan got, the production from these guys getting those opportunities will at least be as good and probably better than Stepan. And think that's very likely to be the case. Not gonna rehash how and why Stepan is no longer here, but he did got oodles of opportunities and did ...okay...with them at best at even strength, and the less said about his PP time, ....

  12. #32
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,505
    Rep Power
    107
    Again, we can't afford him. It was allegedly a "definite" that Duchene got moved at the draft. That didn't happen because of Joe Sakic's asking price. The fact that almost three months have gone by and he still hasn't been moved tells me that Sakic hasn't come down off his price, at least not substantially, and doesn't intend to anytime soon. Look at the deals that were supposedly offered and that were turned down. We literally do NOT have the assets to do it. Literally every other team in the league is capable of outbidding us.

  13. #33
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    75
    I don't think he's in the cards, at all.

    I think we're 100% aiming at Tavares and we'll see where that lands us. With that theoretical move, we'd (in only 1-2 seasons) go from one of the older teams, to one of the youngest with a strong goalie, solid defense and a franchise center. Support that with some seasoned wingers, decent C depth and potentially some more picks from unloading salary - that's not a bad. Look at teams like the Kings who held on too long. This is a pretty decent turnaround.

    But hey, maybe I'm wrong or he doesn't sign. But, again, in theory - it makes sense.

  14. #34
    List Maker BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,589
    Rep Power
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Because I don't want to pay Hayes down the road.

    I think moving him and adding the better offensive player in Duchene (IMO), who has first line capabilities (IMO), then using Desharnais as the 3rd line center for the year while gradually sliding Anderson into the line up as a 3rd or 4th line center, is a better game plan than giving Hayes more minutes against better competition.

    I'm glad to hear AV has said Miller will start camp at center. I'm not sure if I heard about that. I really like what little I've seen from him at center. I think he gets more engaged, and uses his speed a hell of a lot more. I feel his speed is an under rated part of his game. He seems to go right to the net with the puck (and fast) as a center.
    If Hayes can get it done (plus a small add, pick - fine whatever), I think we'd do it. Although I'd love to see Hayes and Miller and 2/3 down the middle, we need to strengthen that 1 spot. Zibs is t getting moved, I'm not a miller fan, but I 100% agree with what you said about him and want to see how see that works out. We can't trade skjei. I don't think they take McDonagh. I don't think we want to give up Buch... there's really not a ton of options.

  15. #35
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,555
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Again, we can't afford him. It was allegedly a "definite" that Duchene got moved at the draft. That didn't happen because of Joe Sakic's asking price. The fact that almost three months have gone by and he still hasn't been moved tells me that Sakic hasn't come down off his price, at least not substantially, and doesn't intend to anytime soon. Look at the deals that were supposedly offered and that were turned down. We literally do NOT have the assets to do it. Literally every other team in the league is capable of outbidding us.
    The price doesn't come down until the price comes down.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,955
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Again, we can't afford him. It was allegedly a "definite" that Duchene got moved at the draft. That didn't happen because of Joe Sakic's asking price. The fact that almost three months have gone by and he still hasn't been moved tells me that Sakic hasn't come down off his price, at least not substantially, and doesn't intend to anytime soon. Look at the deals that were supposedly offered and that were turned down. We literally do NOT have the assets to do it. Literally every other team in the league is capable of outbidding us.
    All we need is for him to get frustrated and demand a trade to the Rangers. I'm not all too sure all the other teams are looking to add the salary he eats up. He's coming of a bad season too. I'd gamble on the guy getting it together on this team. I'm not sure other teams will. They'd take him if Colorado ate some money. I don't think they are willing to do so. Asking price is too high. It will come down.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,955
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    I don't think he's in the cards, at all.

    I think we're 100% aiming at Tavares and we'll see where that lands us. With that theoretical move, we'd (in only 1-2 seasons) go from one of the older teams, to one of the youngest with a strong goalie, solid defense and a franchise center. Support that with some seasoned wingers, decent C depth and potentially some more picks from unloading salary - that's not a bad. Look at teams like the Kings who held on too long. This is a pretty decent turnaround.

    But hey, maybe I'm wrong or he doesn't sign. But, again, in theory - it makes sense.
    Aren't the Rangers one of the younger teams in the league? I don't think they NEED to get younger. It's not like they're a bunch of old guys. They could use the aid of having a bunch more entry level contracts to get them through the next few years, but it's not exactly killing them like years ago.

    This team is quite young.

    If they don't get Duchene or anything, I hope they are looking towards next summer, to land Tavares. That's if the Isles don't trade him by the deadline to a team that can negotiate and sign him before he hits the open market. .

  18. #38
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Aren't the Rangers one of the younger teams in the league? I don't think they NEED to get younger. It's not like they're a bunch of old guys. They could use the aid of having a bunch more entry level contracts to get them through the next few years, but it's not exactly killing them like years ago.

    This team is quite young.

    If they don't get Duchene or anything, I hope they are looking towards next summer, to land Tavares. That's if the Isles don't trade him by the deadline to a team that can negotiate and sign him before he hits the open market. .
    That was my implication. A few years ago, this wasn't the case. What I'm saying is from 2012-2017 we didn't get older, if anything we'd get younger and higher skilled.
    If I was insisting they get younger, I would say they're going for Duchene.

  19. #39
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    75
    Pionk has a heavy shot, but he's either nervous or inaccurate. Strikes me as a *solid* AHL/NHL fringe defenseman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •