• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TBL Sign D Dan Girardi to 2-Year/$6M Contract; $3M AAV

Phil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is amazing.

:tweet: @Erik_Erlendsson: Yzerman on Girardi: "We use our own analytics and the things we were looking for, improvement in, he fit that criteria"

...our own analytics, you say?

That sounds awfully close to "alternative facts".

This is amazing.

:tweet: @Erik_Erlendsson: Yzerman on Girardi: "We use our own analytics and the things we were looking for, improvement in, he fit that criteria"

...our own analytics, you say?

That sounds awfully close to "alternative facts".

Every Organization in every sport uses their own analytics.

In a limited shut-down, PK'er, shotblocking 3rd pair guy with 14-16 minutes pr game I dont think he will be horrendously bad. He was decent here in the playoffs and as a 3rd pair guy he will play against 3rd and 4th lines mostly and he is capable of doing that. Not saying I want him anywhere close to our team tho, not even for 3m AAV, but I dont think he will be much of an anchor. A new team and new team mates could be good for him aswell, maybe got a little satisfied on the top pair here.

I dont think Yzerman really means that, but then again, paying 3m AAV for a 3rd pair guy is a little expensive. Maybe they want a veteran to play with Sergachev? Poor him if that's so.

Girardi's dozen or so playoffs games, good as he was, doesn't erase the stain of his last three full seasons as a Ranger. There's also nothing about his playing style or age that suggests a change of scenery is going to reverse his course.

He'll be a healthy scratch by New Year IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Girardi's dozen or so playoffs games, good as he was, doesn't erase the stain of his last three full seasons as a Ranger. There's also nothing about his playing style or age that suggests a change of scenery is going to reverse his course.

He'll be a healthy scratch by New Year IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

As in a consistent healthy scratch, or getting a game off here and there? G's game does require maintenance days more often than others.

He's just not an effective NHL player anymore. Not for any kind of long-term outlook. I think, at best, he'll fill in OK in tighter-checking games for them, but will generally be outmatched by the build of their team that relies on speed and puck-moving defense — neither of which he has.

He's just not an effective NHL player anymore. Not for any kind of long-term outlook. I think, at best, he'll fill in OK in tighter-checking games for them, but will generally be outmatched by the build of their team that relies on speed and puck-moving defense — neither of which he has.

I'm confident that Yzerman and the staff know G's boundaries as a player. Girardi, along with many other players of whatever abilities they may or may not have, are all certainly capable of making a pass. Sure, some are better than others, but making a 15' pass off a regroup to start a breakout is something that even you can probably do.

Given the fact they project him as a top-four defender, that's not a confidence I share. At all.

But we'll see what happens. My guess is a fairly quick flame out, with the Lightning even considering a buyout of his second year next summer.

Archived