• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blog/Forum Integration Discussions

Patrick Bateman

why don't yall do the discussion on the actual forum

Too difficult to export and format. Slack provides the perfect medium. These are also just slightly refined conversations versus full scale public forum positions. It allows us to quickly cover a few hot topics without getting bogged down by any one specific thing.

Because this has become a cleared for contact forum advertisement

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

The forum has slowly been dying, heck you how that. That's why your signature is MakeBSBHGreatAgain. We tried a bunch of stuff to help slow that down or reverse it. Nothing much was working.

The blog, and the forum's connection to it, is a way we are trying to fix the same problem. If the blog grows an audience, and they want to comment on the articles and reply to our members here, they have to register on the forum. And if they do that maybe they will participate more. That's what we are doing to try to improve this place.

But it's been nice catching flack when those of us that created, managed and pay for the forum use the blog's connection partially to help quickly add news content or our original, researched writing to the forum for discussion rather than doing double work.

Too difficult to export and format. Slack provides the perfect medium. These are also just slightly refined conversations versus full scale public forum positions. It allows us to quickly cover a few hot topics without getting bogged down by any one specific thing.

How is it too difficult to copy and paste the conversation to a post instead of a small section of it into a quote?

Because this has become a cleared for contact forum advertisement

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Exactly. Its getting kind of annoying now. Posting up tidbits of a well thought out, well written article as click bait.

The forum has slowly been dying, heck you how that. That's why your signature is MakeBSBHGreatAgain. We tried a bunch of stuff to help slow that down or reverse it. Nothing much was working.

The blog, and the forum's connection to it, is a way we are trying to fix the same problem. If the blog grows an audience, and they want to comment on the articles and reply to our members here, they have to register on the forum. And if they do that maybe they will participate more. That's what we are doing to try to improve this place.

But it's been nice catching flack when those of us that created, managed and pay for the forum use the blog's connection partially to help quickly add news content or our original, researched writing to the forum for discussion rather than doing double work.

I am glad that its linked now though. That's definitely an improvement to just having a separate entity all together like it originaly was.

You're glad they're linked and think we're providing you click bait? Forgive me, but how am I supposed to reconcile this contradiction?

You post bits of the blog post on here hoping people will click and read the whole thing. Click bait.

I'm glad they're linked because now people can comment and said comments show up on the board as posts as well.

How is that a contradiction?

Yes, in exactly the same way we post excerpts of any other blog along with a link to the entire thing. We give you relevant information in the OP along with a link should you choose to read the entire article. None of which stops the conversation from occurring on the forum about a given topic. This is not "click bait". You have a misapprehension of the term. If you want an example of clickbait, it would look more like:

"You'll never believe who the Rangers re-signed today! CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT!"

Writing an entire article, only to post said entire article here, defeats the purpose of CFC existing in the first place. Not to mention, we've received feedback in the past that suggests many users can't stand reading "novel" posts.

I fail to understand the problem here.

I would argue that this kind of stuff is pushing away the users, like myself, that have been here forever instead of creating new ones. I appreciate the time and effort you guys are putting into it but it's annoying for every other post to be an ad for your blog. There are a million other blogs I can go read. The reason why I come here is because I don't want to read a blog. I want to have a discussion. The reason the board is dying is because the members that have been here forever are no longer in college or high school. They have more important stuff to do than post on GDTs. That's okay. That's the nature of it. If you really want to get more people on the board, advertise the board, not your blog.

I haven't posted here normally for too long, but I've hovered consistently around the board for maybe a year or so. I tend to like the Cleared for Contact posts. TBH it gives a quick and relevant topic which can facilitate conversation on the board. Keep up the great work.

I would argue that this kind of stuff is pushing away the users, like myself, that have been here forever instead of creating new ones. I appreciate the time and effort you guys are putting into it but it's annoying for every other post to be an ad for your blog. There are a million other blogs I can go read. The reason why I come here is because I don't want to read a blog. I want to have a discussion. The reason the board is dying is because the members that have been here forever are no longer in college or high school. They have more important stuff to do than post on GDTs. That's okay. That's the nature of it. If you really want to get more people on the board, advertise the board, not your blog.

What's the difference from every other post being an "ad for the blog"—a pejorative for a thread topic—or simply being posted by a user? It's the exact same information. It's the exact same topic. Not to mention, nothing is stopping any of you from creating these threads on your own.

And how, exactly, is discussion being prevented when new threads are being created because of the blog? This literally makes no sense. It's creating threads, not closing them.

The blog is a giant advertisement for the forum. We are literally trying to funnel all the visitors there here. That's done through article comments, automatic links on the blog to all recent forum activity, a link at the top of every page and under the blog's logo on every page.

It also allows those of us who like researching a topic and exploring it fully to write long form. That's something, when we asked for feedback here a while ago, we were told intimidates some users.

What many of us who run the forum have realized is that we aren't going to please everyone. We've opted to try to tap into a different market in order to increase use here. It's a process. That you and some others may disagree or dislike the new direction we've choosen is unfortunate, but it's the direction we are going in right now.

I haven't posted here normally for too long, but I've hovered consistently around the board for maybe a year or so. I tend to like the Cleared for Contact posts. TBH it gives a quick and relevant topic which can facilitate conversation on the board. Keep up the great work.

We appreciate it. Thank you.

Not sure I get the argument myself. Simply don't read the cleared for contact posts, or don't click on the link, if it's an issue or you find it annoying. I'm ok with it but obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Bottom line is these guys don't have to do this. They could just stop bothering and we wouldn't even have a forum to discuss. I hope it doesn't get to that as I think they do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I got no problem with the blog and think it's a good idea, but posting a blog of a small group of forum members having discussion on a forum where there's a perception of elitism seems incredibly tone-deaf

Complaining that the discussions aren't on the forum and then also complaining about the way the discussion is posted on the forum is incredibly tone deaf.

I got no problem with the blog and think it's a good idea, but posting a blog of a small group of forum members having discussion on a forum where there's a perception of elitism seems incredibly tone-deaf

Anyone is free to submit an article they'd like us to consider publishing on the blog or reaching out to us if they want to be considered to be a regular contributor there. And everyone, of course, is free to challenge or agree with what we write there just like they were always free to challenge or agree with what we wrote here. We've reached out to a handful of people here already. I mean, I used to butt heads with Future/Mike on the forum all the time and yet, he's a great writer and we reached out to him and now he's...what, part of the elite? I'm not buying that. The "elite" thing was grouping the most active users here into a box to create division. We're not interested in that. It's counter productive. Not one person here has ever been persecuted or intentionally left out of anything.

Like I said, we're not going to make everyone happy, but the forum was heading on a path to where it was going to be more trouble/cost than it was worth. This is an effort to change that. We hope it works. If it doesn't work for everyone, that's a shame. But ultimately, the content we're bringing over here from the blog is the same kind of content we've always posted here. It's just being delivered a little differently as part of our over all strategy.

I'm really not sure what the problem is here. Do you guys want us to change the account that posts these articles here from "ClearedForContact" to "Phil in Absentia"? Because that's really the only difference, content-wise.

Tell me what the differences between this:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19321-McKenzie-Rangers-Smith-Finalizing-Four-Year-17-4M-Extension

and this:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19309-Expect-Rangers-to-Talk-to-Joe-Thornton

are.

Anyone is free to submit an article they'd like us to consider publishing on the blog or reaching out to us if they want to be considered to be a regular contributor there. And everyone, of course, is free to challenge or agree with what we write there just like they were always free to challenge or agree with what we wrote here. We've reached out to a handful of people here already. I mean, I used to butt heads with Future/Mike on the forum all the time and yet, he's a great writer and we reached out to him and now he's...what, part of the elite? I'm not buying that. The "elite" thing was grouping the most active users here into a box to create division. We're not interested in that. It's counter productive. Not one person here has ever been persecuted or intentionally left out of anything.

Like I said, we're not going to make everyone happy, but the forum was heading on a path to where it was going to be more trouble/cost than it was worth. This is an effort to change that. We hope it works. If it doesn't work for everyone, that's a shame. But ultimately, the content we're bringing over here from the blog is the same kind of content we've always posted here. It's just being delivered a little differently as part of our over all strategy.

I'm really not sure what the problem is here. Do you guys want us to change the account that posts these articles here from "ClearedForContact" to "Phil in Absentia"? Because that's really the only difference, content-wise.

Tell me what the differences between this:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19321-McKenzie-Rangers-Smith-Finalizing-Four-Year-17-4M-Extension

and this:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19309-Expect-Rangers-to-Talk-to-Joe-Thornton

are.

One advertises cleared for contact, the other doesn't.

Either way, I'm just breaking chops, didn't think anyone would get offended.

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

One advertises cleared for contact, the other doesn't.

Either way, I'm just breaking chops, didn't think anyone would get offended.

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Sure, but that's what the software we use to connect the forum and blog. And it only lets you have one connected user, so we created an account for it on the forum rather than have everything come from Phil or me, or whomever. It also creates a link along with the excerpt text. It's as automated as it can be to save us time and we don't post the entire article so there's more to read if people care to. If they don't, that's fine too.

As to you breaking chops, that's ok. Other's brought up their own concerns or criticisms so we're responding to those.

This time of year especially, the blog articles (even just the blurbs) are actually the way I'm looking to get my Rangers info. I'll come on here just to see if something new has transpired over any other site since word travels here quickly.

It's the offseason, things die off normally here. It'd be nice to see GDT's have more activity but like others have said we are all getting older here so that means work and/or parenting obligations "get in the way" of trying to enjoy being a fan. In other words....it sucks getting old :D

Archived