Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Select [F] Filip Chytil with 21st Overall Pick

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Rangers Select [F] Filip Chytil with 21st Overall Pick

Chytil is a talented two-way winger with high offensive potential. One of the youngest players available in the draft, he brings an exceptionally speedy game that sees him using him making offensive plays on the go. His combination of both his speed and hands make him an offensive threat anytime he's on the move. The young Czech's stickwork absolutely makes him a threat. Despite being more a team first player, Chytil possesses the ability to release a hard wrist shot that is also relatively accurate.

Chytil doesn't have the highest ceiling, but his offensive skills are certainly intriguing. He projects largely as a middle-six player.

Click here to view the article.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Is this another safe pick for a guy that looks like he has a solid NHL future, versus the more boom or bust profiles of guys like Yamamoto?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Is this another safe pick for a guy that looks like he has a solid NHL future, versus the more boom or bust profiles of guys like Yamamoto?

NBC guys said BOTH picks will be in the NHL soon. This kid is 17 I believe so he's out of the equation for a bit. Already playing pro hockey though.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    yeah you gotta give these two some serious credit. they're barely 18 and they're playing pro already.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post

Yamamoto is really small but very good defensively so I'm not really sure if I'd say that. I thought Yamamoto was pretty safe honestly. Chytil is definitely safe just not on the level Andersson is. I think he has more offensive potential than Andersson at least.

Deleted Midget Division
    I think both picks make sense when you factor in:

1) We're rebooting, not rebuilding - and the timeline for turnaround is much shorter
    2) We don't have the cache of prospects to take boom or bust and safe bets are required as we plan to restock the shelves soon
    3) Both players are defensively and offensively gifted, allowing more flexibility of utilization in a retrofit reboot scenario where future assets and roles are unpredictable.

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post

1) We're rebooting, not rebuilding - and the timeline for turnaround is much shorter
    It's THAT ATTITUDE why this team will NEVER EVER win anything. So keep the cash registers a-ringing suckers.
    #TankforTkachuk #SuckforSvechnikov #FailforFilip

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    It's THAT ATTITUDE why this team will NEVER EVER win anything. So keep the cash registers a-ringing suckers.
    Right, but that's what we're doing. Me saying it, doesn't make it happen.

We got Zib because it's a reboot. That was the tip of the hat. Otherwise, you blow it up. So, with that known - they have to plot accordingly.

Whether you agree with that strategy is one thing, but them following through on it through this draft shouldn't be incredibly surprising. And, within those parameters, they've isolated two targets with NHL ready games and mentalities.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    This is interesting:

@Josh_Khalfin: It's been talked about a little but given Chytils age and his success against men, some say he could've been a top 10 pick in 2018
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This is interesting:

@Josh_Khalfin: It's been talked about a little but given Chytils age and his success against men, some say he could've been a top 10 pick in 2018
    My understanding, and forgive me, is that juniors success in drafts is more heralded than Major/Men's league success - for whatever reason. Which, if true, may suggest a lot about these players.

As for the top 10 in 2018, I wonder why? Shallow draft? Or, simply because he's so young?

Worth noting that his 8 points in 38 games are actually pretty good for a 17-year-old in a men's league. He was getting 3/4 line minutes on a professional club. Not the pick I wanted, but he's not bad. There's potential there with him. He's got mitts.

Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    My understanding, and forgive me, is that juniors success in drafts is more heralded than Major/Men's league success - for whatever reason. Which, if true, may suggest a lot about these players.

As for the top 10 in 2018, I wonder why? Shallow draft? Or, simply because he's so young?
    Because he'd then be an older pick. He just made the cut off by 12 days. He'd have more development time on other players. Saying he'd go top 10 in 2018 is pretty good given how heralded it is as a draft class.

Seems like a good kid. Happy for him. Maybe we can pump the breaks on shitting all over him and the staff for picking him. He's super young.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    To be fair, the shitting-on was for not taking Yamamoto or Tolvanen at 21, and for not taking Mittelstadt, Vilardi, or Suzuki.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    To be fair, the shitting-on was for not taking Yamamoto or Tolvanen at 21, and for not taking Mittelstadt, Vilardi, or Suzuki.
    Dude seems like a real asshole to me, but that's just the thing. You never know what's going to happen. Top 10 in next years' draft is pretty high praise. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Seems to have pretty good offensive instincts from what I can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm6kL6l-QII

I find this one a little more of a head scratcher considering Tolvanen was left on the board. I liked the look of him as a scorer, and with the whole Rangers BC connections he seemed like a good fit. Not saying this kid won't pan out, and in fairness he is essentially a year behind everyone else so that is impressive, but I hope we don't regret this one. Personally I'd leave him in Europe at least another year rather than the AHL. Ideally he joins a better team to play in the CHL against the likes of Frolunda, HC Davos etc.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Up to 6'2 and still growing. Can't go wrong with big, fast, skilled centers with 2 way games. Very good pick.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I think the Rangers decided to go safe in what is being considered a weak draft. After sleeping on it, and knowing our need for impact ELC players, I think this strategy makes sense. It's not flashy, it's not picking the highest potential, but it's giving us the best opportunity to get those guys on ELCs that can produce in the line-up.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division

Rangers Select [F] Filip Chytil with 21st Overall Pick

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Up to 6'2 and still growing. Can't go wrong with big, fast, skilled centers with 2 way games. Very good pick.
    Very happy with This

If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast