Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Select [F] Lias Andersson with 7th Overall Pick

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Now we're guaranteed a high-end guy.

Just do it.
    please Gorton, please. Just take the talentet forward and dont try to be a genius.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I mean like one that actually did.
    Don't make me do real work.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    All I can say is that he's Swedish and Swedish players are good.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Sounds like they drafted Oscar Lindberg lol

Senior Member Mite Division jsm7302's Avatar
    If this guy Is good to play next year and can fill Lindbergs shoes then we win. If we sign Smith then we have overhauled this roster with young promising talent and got rid of dead weight while retaining a vet presence.
    Im absolutely happy with today. This could be the energy injection this team needed. It's tough saying positive things about an uncertain future when comparing to the definitive definition of what Stepan brought year to year. I'm up for the gamble. I want a cup!!!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Did Phil Jackson get invited to the draft war room?

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Lol wut

He's a confident player. I'll give him that. Very poised in the interview. Not an ounce of detectable nervousness or trepidation.

I love that he's open to the idea of the AHL, too.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    Lol wut
    What?

What?
    Is that suppose to be a link to something. It shows as a hyperlink but goes nowhere for me. Just a bunch of numbers.

Tweets don't render on mobile. Here's the link, Shane:

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status...l-Pick%2Fpage2
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He's a confident player. I'll give him that. Very poised in the interview. Not an ounce of detectable nervousness or trepidation.

I love that he's open to the idea of the AHL, too.
    100% agree.

We have a lot of "good guys" on our team, but I want to say that we don't have many "overt leaders.

Bashful, humble farm-boy types or pragmatic vets, for the most part. This mentality that he wants to win and has goals to achieve and isn't just happy to "be there" pleases me.

Yeah, Andersson saying he wants to be a leader, the way he said it, is inspiring. He said it like a leader. Not just someone offering platitudes.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Tweets don't render on mobile. Here's the link, Shane:

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status...l-Pick%2Fpage2
    Thanks

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect

Rangers Select [F] Lias Andersson with 7th Overall Pick

Transcript

An interview with:

LIAS ANDERSSON

Q. Was this a surprise to you at all? Did the Rangers talk to you at the Combine?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: Yeah, I met with them at the Combine, but it surprised me a little bit. There were a lot of good players left in the draft, so it was a lot of fun.

Q. Can you give us a scouting report on yourself?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I think I’m a two-way center. Love to change games and score big goals. I want to be a leader. So, yeah, I’ll say I’m a leader.

Q. What was your reaction?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: My agent was like a little bit screaming, so it was like, ‘Yeah, going to New York.’ So it was a little bit fun, but it just was a special feeling. I cannot describe it. It was amazing.

Q. What do you know about the organization?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, I’ve never been to New York before, so it’s going to be fun to go there. Actually my mom and dad met the first time in New York, so they can show me around a little bit.

Q. Your dad played in the NHL, right?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: Yeah, my dad actually lived in New York, played for the Islanders, so hopefully I can take his old apartment.

Q. Is there anyone you pattern your game after?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, I love watching those good centermen, Toews. I love watching Claude Giroux for the Flyers. I think they can play a little bit tough and score big goals. And, yeah, I think they’re game changers. And Toews is a big winner. He’s won everything, and I want to win everything, too.

Q. What would you say is your best asset on the ice?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I don’t know, I think I want to be like a full-package player. I want to have the full package. So I’ll say my work ethic and just being around those hot situations. And I like scoring important goals.

Q. What do you think about playing with Henrik Lundqvist?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: Oh, yeah, it feels amazing. I actually know him a little bit. My dad played with him for some years. So it will be good to see him again.

Q. Where did you get your aggressive style from? How did that come about?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I don’t know. Just I watched a lot of hockey, and I think if you want to be successful, you have to play hard and tough, in my opinion. So I just watched a lot of hockey.

Q. How familiar are you with the Rangers, and what do you think of the team so far?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, it’s a very good team. They’ve been close now for many years, and I think, yeah, they’ve got some -- a couple of good Swedes down in the minors. So I think we’ll change that ship.

Q. Does it help to have other Swedish players on the Rangers?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: Yeah, of course. I speak a little bit to Henrik and those guys in the minors, too, so I mean, it’s obviously good to have a couple of Swedes there.

Q. What does it mean to know that you will be a teammate of Henrik Lundqvist?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, feels just amazing. He’s one of the biggest stars that Sweden hockey ever had, so it just feels amazing.

Q. Where will you play next year?
    LIAS ANDERSSON: I don’t know yet. I have a contract back home with Frolunda, so we’ll see what’s happening, see what the Rangers want. Obviously my goal is to play in the NHL. I know it’s tough, and if I don’t make it, maybe play in the American League or play back home in Sweden. I don’t know yet. We’ll figure something good out.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Senior Member Junior Division
    Both kids seem to have good heads on their shoulders. I'm excited for both kids. Both character guys. Both willing to play in the AHL immediately if asked.

Between our two picks and DeAngelo we added three very solid players to the mix.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Both kids seem to have good heads on their shoulders. I'm excited for both kids. Both character guys. Both willing to play in the AHL immediately if asked.

Between our two picks and DeAngelo we added three very solid players to the mix.
    Looking at his playoff and championship-type game numbers, I'm a lot more encouraged than I was last night.

Now listening to the interview, and getting a better sense of his desire to win and the kind of game player he models himself on, plus his level of assertiveness, etc., I am a lot more encouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    From the looks of this the kid has pretty good hands, good size, can skate and has a decent wrist shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3OMhQVWO0

Seems to me he could transition to the AHL/NHL this year, depending on whether the Rangers think a year in Frolunda will benefit him more (with Hanks brother). I'll reserve judgement personally as I don't have any knowledge on the guys we passed over, and have obviously never seen Andersson play either.

All I will say, if this year was a 'weak' draft class compared to next year which is predicted to be stronger, is picking a guy ranked No. 13 with the No. 7 pick all that bad/surprising? Personally I value the stats of a player playing against men in a strong European league over the CHL. Would the guys we passed over have bettered 0.45ppg at age 18 in that league? We won't know but the more I read and see the less upset I am. I find our No. 21 pick a little more head scratching considering who was still on the board.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Just read that apparently he was the 5th youngest player in the SHL this year, and didn't realise HV71 won the title this year.

His draft rankings across the board were:

Hockeyprospects.com - No. 12
    ISS Hockey Top 31 - No. 20
    Future Considerations Top 31 - No. 13
    McKeen's Hockey Top 31 - No. 11
    NHL Central Scouting Top 31 (Europe) - No. 3
    Last edited by pws85nyr; 06-24-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast