• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: $14M for McDavid?

Phil

Sane thought dictates that this is a mistake, considering *most* of the competitive teams in the league are built around a solid core of players, none of which make half of that money.

But then you look at the past few groups of champions, who have two exceptionally gifted players surrounded by another set of either aging veterans / hungry youngsters and it starts to make sense.

This is a tough call if you are GM I think. There are clear dangers with signing such a player to such a huge contract. Look at what happened to NJD, who basically were held ransom by one guy and you could argue that this one guy's actions screwed the franchise for a substantial period of time.

On the other hand, you look at what the two guys (Crosby and Malkin) have done in Pittsburgh and you start thinking.

I'm a more conservative guy so this is not something I would be doing, I think. I'd prefer the bridge and see what happens, and then if I have to pay him I'll pay him. Can't fault any GM for jumping in though, especially after seeing the kid play.

There's no doubt that they need to sign him right away. 14 mill is the same as Nash and Staal got here. U can afford to pay a guy like McDavid that kind of money. Just need to be smart with the rest of the team, and it will have to be a lot of rookies/"scrap" just the way Penguins have done it the last couple years, and you obviously see it's working.

A team needs leaders, and most importantly a dominant C, just look at the last cup winners (Crosby, and Malkin for Pens, Toews for Hawks, Kopitar for Kings). there are enough of bottom-6 talent that can do the work for a cheap price, but Stanley Cups are won by the top 6 (and thats a big part of Rangers "failure" the last years).

:tweet: @Sportsnet

I wonder how this will affect the Tavares negotiations with the Isles.

I don't think there's a player in the world who should be compared to this contract. Nobody is as good and few are as young.

McDavid can't even buy brewskis yet.

That's a lot! Not helping his team there in terms of cap. Offer sheets for Draisaitl here we come.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

the extension won't take effect until next year, so it won't impact the current $16+ mil in cap space they have to sign Draisailt with. And they will trade RNH before the extension kicks in.

:tweet: @Sportsnet

I wonder how this will affect the Tavares negotiations with the Isles.

It won't. Tavares' comparables are going to be Kane and Toews. McDavid is an anomaly, and is signing for all of his prime years. The good thing about him not taking less, however, is that future league stars (Mattews, Marner, Laine, etc) will have an easier time justifying why they deserve big money early as opposed to the old school mentality of forcing RFAs to take bridge deals to the point that when you finally buy long-term, you're buying most of their least productive years.

This is evolution at work.

Archived