• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sean Day and Tim Gettinger invited to USA Hockey's World Jr Summer Showcase Tourney

Long live the King

A little non-expansion draft related news...

:tweet: @SteveZipay: Two NYR prospects---D Sean Day and F Tim Gettinger---invited to USA Hockey's World Junior Summer Showcase Tourney in Michigan July 29-Aug. 5

Info about the tournament

USA Hockey will stage the 2017 World Junior Summer Showcase at USA Hockey Arena in the Detroit suburb of Plymouth from July 29 - Aug. 5.

The event features players from four nations – the U.S., Canada, Finland and Sweden – auditioning for a spot to represent their country in the 2018 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship, which will take place Dec. 26, 2017 - Jan. 5, 2018, in Buffalo, New York.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the US and Canada will start out with 2 teams each and trim their rosters after 3 games.

Even if they don't make the roster for the World Juniors, this will be a good experience for them.

• 1 month later...

In more World Junior evaluation news...

Chytil has 2 goals in 2 games in exhibition games against Finland and Tarmo Ruenanen is in the running to try to earn a spot on team Finland.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-prospect-update-chytil-scores-for-czechs/c-290499364

Gettinger and Day will be starting out the summer showcase on team USA Blue and facing Lias Andersson and the Swedes on Saturday.

Anderson will get three games with Sweden. Day and Gettinger will get three games with USA Blue, before they trim the roster and three more, the three televised games, if they make the cut.

The final three days of the summer showcase will be televised on NHL Network:

Aug 2 - USA vs. Sweden @ 4pm

Aug 4 - USA vs. Finland @ 4pm

Aug 5 - USA vs. Canada @ 7pm

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/814937?referrer_id=2328362

In more World Junior evaluation news...

Chytil has 2 goals in 2 games in exhibition games against Finland and Tarmo Ruenanen is in the running to try to earn a spot on team Finland.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-prospect-update-chytil-scores-for-czechs/c-290499364

Gettinger and Day will be starting out the summer showcase on team USA Blue and facing Lias Andersson and the Swedes on Saturday.

Anderson will get three games with Sweden. Day and Gettinger will get three games with USA Blue, before they trim the roster and three more, the three televised games, if they make the cut.

The final three days of the summer showcase will be televised on NHL Network:

Aug 2 - USA vs. Sweden @ 4pm

Aug 4 - USA vs. Finland @ 4pm

Aug 5 - USA vs. Canada @ 7pm

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/814937?referrer_id=2328362

Appreciate the news LLtK

On a tangent.

It seems like only yesterday Stepan and Kreider were earning gold with World Junior Team USA.

I have to nudge myself to remember Sean Day is only 19, he looks older because he's so big, and has had maybe more than his share of life experiences already. And if you told me Lias Andersson was 22 I might believe that too, as his demeanor is a little more mature.

Personally, from what little I saw, and I'm no hockey guru by any means:

1. He's defensively responsible

2. He goes to the dirty areas and is strong along the boards

3. He doesn't shy from contact or confrontation

4. Seems to have good hands and a good eye for a pass

It's kind of like Lindberg 2.0 with the potential for more offensive upside. His goal on the PP against Canada showed great hands and was from him being sat in the crease. Also saw him draw a powerplay from sticking up for himself, and he cleaned out a dman nicely after he made an outlet pass.

But it's early days. This is just what I saw in a few periods and is simply my personal opinion (just had Rogers cable installed!).

But Brannstrom was the best player I watched full stop, kid looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Personally, from what little I saw, and I'm no hockey guru by any means:

1. He's defensively responsible

2. He goes to the dirty areas and is strong along the boards

3. He doesn't shy from contact or confrontation

4. Seems to have good hands and a good eye for a pass

It's kind of like Lindberg 2.0 with the potential for more offensive upside. His goal on the PP against Canada showed great hands and was from him being sat in the crease. Also saw him draw a powerplay from sticking up for himself, and he cleaned out a dman nicely after he made an outlet pass.

But it's early days. This is just what I saw in a few periods and is simply my personal opinion (just had Rogers cable installed!).

But Brannstrom was the best player I watched full stop, kid looks great.

I agree with most of this. I'm not sure if I'm ready to compare him to Lindberg though. Skating style is different plus he definitely seems more creative than a young Lindberg. I also can't say I watched a ton of this tourney but I thought his hockey smarts stood out. He seemed to have a knack of going to the right spot at the right time.

There are a lot of positives but there were times he was getting a little lost defensively. He was able to make up for it most of the time against this comp but that looks to be the area that needs the most work right now.

Brannstrom was fantastic.

I agree with most of this. I'm not sure if I'm ready to compare him to Lindberg though. Skating style is different plus he definitely seems more creative than a young Lindberg. I also can't say I watched a ton of this tourney but I thought his hockey smarts stood out. He seemed to have a knack of going to the right spot at the right time.

There are a lot of positives but there were times he was getting a little lost defensively. He was able to make up for it most of the time against this comp but that looks to be the area that needs the most work right now.

Brannstrom was fantastic.

I can't skate so I'm the last person to comment on his skating! He gets from A to B, that's more than I can do! [emoji23]

But yeah he seems a little more creative. Having never played hockey myself I find it hard to comment on things like defensive zone coverage etc. I grew up playing football (soccer) so I try and only critique what I 'know' (and I use that term loosely).

Watching games live though has really helped me understand a lot more. You get a much better perspective on a players game from up high.

Archived