Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HBO Under Pressure to Fire Bill Maher After He Uses Racial Slur in Interview

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I'm not defending or criticizing Maher

change the "N" word to "fag". is that offensive now? if bill maher said 'fag', he'd be fired yesterday. so how is 'nigger' any different?
    No, he wouldn't. Because of the context. The context here, the same as if he'd used "fag" instead, is as comedic prose.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    No, he wouldn't. Because of the context. The context here, the same as if he'd used "fag" instead, is as comedic prose.
    I don't agree. being a comedian does not excuse him from using derogatory words. its a slippery slope. if that was so, anyone can hide under the umbrella of comedy

It's not "hiding". It's context.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Friday should be fun. Ice Cube is going to be a guest on Real Time to discuss Maher's use of the word.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Friday should be fun. Ice Cube is going to be a guest on Real Time to discuss Maher's use of the word.
    I'm glad to hear he's going at it and not just issuing another apology to open the show and then moving on. There's an important discussion to be had surrounding this. I hope he doesn't bitch out.

I don't agree. being a comedian does not excuse him from using derogatory words. its a slippery slope. if that was so, anyone can hide under the umbrella of comedy
    Words aren't derogatory. Only context can be derogatory. That's why Bill Maher saying "House Nigger" was fine. It was in the context of self deprivating humor. It's also fine for me to use the term "House Nigger" here, because I'm using it to reference what is being discussed. There is nothing racist in my usage, nor in his. Nothing derogatory, either. We (he and I) used the term in different contexts, but neither was to demean or disparage a group of people.

Some people like to be outraged over situations similar to this one. It gives them the feeling of moral superiority. That's just a feeling though, they are not morally superior. Instead, they're using faulty logic to attack view points they disagree with, often because they are too intellectually weak to better combat an opposition view.

For the record, it was a joke based on Malcom X's reference to "house negros" and "field negros":

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Words aren't derogatory. Only context can be derogatory. That's why Bill Maher saying "House Nigger" was fine. It was in the context of self deprivating humor. It's also fine for me to use the term "House Nigger" here, because I'm using it to reference what is being discussed. There is nothing racist in my usage, nor in his. Nothing derogatory, either. We (he and I) used the term in different contexts, but neither was to demean or disparage a group of people.

Some people like to be outraged over situations similar to this one. It gives them the feeling of moral superiority. That's just a feeling though, they are not morally superior. Instead, they're using faulty logic to attack view points they disagree with, often because they are too intellectually weak to better combat an opposition view.
    I don't think u're in any position to say if the N-word is offensive, no matter the context, given that you're white. a non-black person can not decide what is offensive to blacks or not. or any other ethnicity, for that matter.
    I totally disagree with you

I don't think u're in any position to say if the N-word is offensive, no matter the context, given that you're white. a non-black person can not decide what is offensive to blacks or not. or any other ethnicity, for that matter.
    I totally disagree with you
    I didn't say the word isn't offensive, I said it isn't derogatory. Let me give an example. Some blacks think it's perfectly acceptable for a black person to use the word. In that context, the word isn't derogatory. When someone quotes someone else using the word, the person quoting it isn't using it in a derogatory fashion, necessarily.

Some people find the word "moist" offensive. That doesn't make it derogatory.

Banned Midget Division
    I didn't say the word isn't offensive, I said it isn't derogatory. Let me give an example. Some blacks think it's perfectly acceptable for a black person to use the word. In that context, the word isn't derogatory. When someone quotes someone else using the word, the person quoting it isn't using it in a derogatory fashion, necessarily.

the word itself may not be derogatory, but when used by a white person, blacks may have a problem with it. and they do. I think Ice Cube explained it well in the following episode of the show

the word itself may not be derogatory, but when used by a white person, blacks may have a problem with it. and they do. I think Ice Cube explained it well in the following episode of the show
    Sure. But sometimes people are going to say things that other folks have a problem with. That doesn't mean it's wrong to say them, necessarily.

Banned Midget Division
    Sure. But sometimes people are going to say things that other folks have a problem with. That doesn't mean it's wrong to say them, necessarily.
    not in this case. the N-word is probably the most offensive word in America. right now I cant think of any other word that offends more

Being offended is not an argument. It's an emotional reaction. Thankfully we live in a country where we don't prescribe laws based on feelings, but on actual, tangible effect and impact.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division

I'll never understand this. Some people are stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12