Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HBO Under Pressure to Fire Bill Maher After He Uses Racial Slur in Interview

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

HBO Under Pressure to Fire Bill Maher After He Uses Racial Slur in Interview

HBO is facing calls to fire Bill Maher from his talkshow after he used the N-word in a conversation with the Nebraska senator, Ben Sasse. HBO called the comment “inexcusable and tasteless” and said it would be removed from any subsequent airing of the show.

Discussing his new book on Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday evening, Sasse told Maher he would be welcome in Nebraska as “we’d love to have you work in the fields with us”.

“Work in the fields?” Maher replied. “Senator, I’m a house nigger.”

The audience laughed and groaned, with some applause. Sasse kept quiet, before Maher said: “No, it’s a joke.”

DeRay McKesson, a Black Lives Matter activist and former Baltimore mayoral candidate, led the criticism on social media. “Bill Maher has got to go,” he wrote. “There are no explanations that make this acceptable.”

McKesson added: “And why does the audience think it was OK to laugh? And Ben Sasse doesn’t even flinch. What is happening in the world?

“Trump has undeniably moved the posts re: what is acceptable in political discourse but we can’t sit idly by, as discourse breeds actions.”

Maher did not immediately comment in response to media inquiries. On Saturday, HBO apologised in a statement to the Hollywood Reporter.

“Bill Maher’s comment last night was completely inexcusable and tasteless,” the statement read. “We are removing his deeply offensive comment from any subsequent airings of the show.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...time-ben-sasse

--

Personally, I don't think it was that big of a deal. Given the context it occurred in, as a comedian, I thought it was both funny and "appropriate". Again, given the context. I'm also not surprised, given the politics of destruction era we live in where criticism and protest to ideas we disagree with hinge on destroying the individuals we disagree with, that so many are calling for his head for this.

For anyone who hasn't seen it and wants to:

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Why was DeRay Mckesson on call for comment lol? The Left must really be upset if they're taking down Bill Maher.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Comedians tell jokes. This one was funny. HBO is being a bitch here. Which is a shame.

There was 0 racist about this.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Jim Norton encompasses my feelings in this perfectly:

@JimNorton: Bill Maher used a racial slur in a joke. I'm glad people aren't overreacting like absolute assholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    If someone else used the same joke, would it be funny?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Probably.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Probably.

I find that hard to believe. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying others would feel different if it were someone else making that joke. Also, is it ok because he's a comedian, or because you just think it's funny? In other words, if I said it, would you feel the same way, or is it not ok because I'm not a paid comedian even though I'm probably funnier and wittier than Bill Maher ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Because he's a comedian (and it's funny).

If you said it, I would laugh. You're funny. If Richard Spencer said it, he's an asshole.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Because he's a comedian (and it's funny).

If you said it, I would laugh. You're funny. If Richard Spencer said it, he's an asshole.

That's a little extreme, but it kind of relates to what I'm saying, it's not funny if anyone just said it. There's an imaginary line of who it's acceptable from.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Agreed. Because of intent. Maher's was humor. We know this because of his history in the industry and the nature of his show:

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Agreed. Because of intent. Maher's was humor. We know this because of his history in the industry and the nature of his show:

I agree with you. Not everyone sees it that way, obviously. It's funny to you, because of the reasons you listed. Black people think it's funny to you because you're white. My guess is that maaaaybe 5% of the African American community won't be offended. However, if Chris Rock made the same joke, it would be hilarious. That's the double standard world we live in. Same as every rapper using the n word, except, of course, Eminem. He may have used it once or twice, but not nearly enough for it to be ever considered controversial.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I agree, it was funny. Unfortunately, people are the point of moral panic were it doesn't matter. Society, as I knew it, as many of us knew it, has ended, save for for my esoteric rural circumstances (thank fuck).

In short, Pat Buchanan was totally correct.

//reported Junior Division
    ITT: White people saying it's ok to use the n-word.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

ITT: people defending a comedian's right to say controversial things in the name of comedy.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Listen here you fargin snowflakes, American politics are not played under Marquess of Queensberry rules. Stop with the faux outrage.
    #TankforTkachuk #SuckforSvechnikov #FailforFilip

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I am far from a Bill Mahr fan, but there is no reason why he should be fired for this. I don't get this fight to get someone fired for saying something. If you don't like what someone is saying, then don't watch/listen to them, its that simple.

Stephen A Smith
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Banned Midget Division
    I'm not defending or criticizing Maher

change the "N" word to "fag". is that offensive now? if bill maher said 'fag', he'd be fired yesterday. so how is 'nigger' any different?

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    Listen here you fargin snowflakes, American politics are not played under Marquess of Queensberry rules. Stop with the faux outrage.
    I'm not identifying as a snowflake today...lol
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    and IF he gets fired, watch the exodus of viewers when they call up their local cable/sat/FIOS co. and say "I want to cancel HBO"
    #TankforTkachuk #SuckforSvechnikov #FailforFilip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast