Thread: Trump Pulls U.S. Out of Paris Accord

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Trump Pulls U.S. Out of Paris Accord

WASHINGTON — President Trump announced Thursday that he will withdraw the United States from participation in the Paris climate accord, weakening global efforts to combat climate change and siding with conservatives who argued that the landmark 2015 agreement was harming the economy.

But he will stick to the withdrawal process laid out in the Paris agreement, which President Barack Obama joined and most of the world has already ratified. That could take nearly four years to complete, meaning a final decision would be up to the American voters in the next presidential election.

Still, Mr. Trump’s decision is a remarkable rebuke to fellow heads-of-state, climate activists, corporate executives and members of the president’s own staff, all of whom failed this week to change Mr. Trump’s mind with an intense, last-minute lobbying blitz.

It makes good on a campaign promise to “cancel” an agreement he repeatedly mocked and derided at rallies, saying it would kill American jobs. As president, he has moved rapidly to reverse Obama-era policies designed to allow the United States to meet its pollution-reduction targets as set under the agreement.

“In order to fulfill my solemn duty to protect America and its citizens, the United States will withdraw from the Paris climate accord but begin negotiations to re-enter either the Paris accord or an entirely new transaction on terms that are fair to the United States,” the president said. “We are getting out. But we will start to negotiate, and we will see if we can make a deal that’s fair. And if we can, that’s great.”
    Mr. Obama, in a rare assertion of his political views as a former president, castigated the decision.

“The nations that remain in the Paris Agreement will be the nations that reap the benefits in jobs and industries created,” he said in a statement. “I believe the United States of America should be at the front of the pack. But even in the absence of American leadership; even as this Administration joins a small handful of nations that reject the future; I’m confident that our states, cities, and businesses will step up and do even more to lead the way, and help protect for future generations the one planet we’ve got.”

Most Republicans applauded the decision.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/c...agreement.html
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Justin from Canada is very sad.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Doesn't change US emissions, just whom we answer to.

Besides, no one folllowed that "acccord". What's the point?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Does the US stand to gain anything financially from pulling out?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Does the US stand to gain anything financially from pulling out?
    Potential to create more jobs at expense of environment... we were already cleaning up emissions, still will, but timeline was determined by non industrialized European nations.

This did not get rid of EPA or any US agency monitoring pollutions

What timeline? The U.S. commitments to the PA were voluntary. Just like every other country.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Right, so what's the big deal? The accord is just another wealth transfer scheme creating what amounts to a multi billion dollar slush fund for bureaucrats to abuse on a whim.

As Josh pointed out, emissions are already receding in the US. I don't see a lot of good arguments this morning from the Accord side, mostly mindless virtue signalling from people that own 450 foot Yachts and perpetually fly private jets around the world in search of the next government subsidy to prop up their unprofitable business. People like Elon Musk whom were just fine with Trumps other controversial positions but the instant the freebies for electric cars are off the table he's out.

Senior Member Junior Division
    If the justification for pulling out is to help the coal miners, it's a dumb idea. I wish just one politician had the balls to say to coal country, "look, I know you guys work hard but honestly, we need to get to a point where you aren't needed."

Obviously we can still pursue those kind of goals with out without being in the agreement, but it sends a terrible message. Between making an oil guy the secretary of state, appoiting a climate change denier to head up the EPA, and pulling us out of a worldwide agreement, it sends the message that we aren't going to prioritize any environmental issues.

The agreement was really just every country in the world coming together with a common goal to say, "None of us can solve this on our own, we need to all work together to save our planet" to which President Trump just said, "Fuck the rest of the world we do our own shit."

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Right, so what's the big deal? The accord is just another wealth transfer scheme creating what amounts to a multi billion dollar slush fund for bureaucrats to abuse on a whim.

As Josh pointed out, emissions are already receding in the US. I don't see a lot of good arguments this morning from the Accord side, mostly mindless virtue signalling from people that own 450 foot Yachts and perpetually fly private jets around the world in search of the next government subsidy to prop up their unprofitable business. People like Elon Musk whom were just fine with Trumps other controversial positions but the instant the freebies for electric cars are off the table he's out.
    It's an issue of optics that can have ancillary affects given the U.S.'s history as a staple nation for progressive efforts like this.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

swamped Midget Division
    The coal industry isn't going to be competitive in the global marketplace no matter how many press conferences Trump has. Trump could help by encouraging innovation and supporting green technologies to help the US continue to be a leader. But renewable energy is the direction the world is heading regardless of what Trump does. China is all in on solar and wind https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/w...ment.html?_r=0

So China, Europe, etc will take the lead if the US steps back.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    The coal industry isn't going to be competitive in the global marketplace no matter how many press conferences Trump has. Trump could help by encouraging innovation and supporting green technologies to help the US continue to be a leader. But renewable energy is the direction the world is heading regardless of what Trump does. China is all in on solar and wind https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/w...ment.html?_r=0

So China, Europe, etc will take the lead if the US steps back.
    by all means let China take the lead. it'll be best for all of us

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's an issue of optics that can have ancillary affects given the U.S.'s history as a staple nation for progressive efforts like this.
    That's without a doubt the biggest issue I have with this withdrawal. Frankly, it's largely symbolic; every country set their own targets and the intent of the agreement is to be renegotiated on five year cycles (as in , new targets, new goals, continued progress).

I don't really get the purpose of pulling out of a deal like this. It doesn't cost us much to be in the deal, every company with a finger remotely on the pulse of this industry will tell you and commit to the idea that there are TRILLIONS of dollars and millions of jobs to be made in the clean energy space - and we're going to do a lot of that anyway because capitalism. This won't bring back coal mining jobs - or any jobs really. If anything, it's a symbolic divestment from future tech.

As far as I can tell, this was either a deliberate "fuck you" to Macron for squeezing Trump's hand too hard (he does realize that there are 198 or so countries in this deal besides France, right?), or a completely unnecessary ceding of global leadership with nothing in return, which, to borrow a phrase from Trump - Bad Deal. Anytime you give something for nothing, bad deal.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind