• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Friedman Considers Extend or Trade Decision Facing Sabres on Kane

Phil

Kane, who will turn 26 over the summer, has one season remaining on his six-year, $31.5 million contract ? meaning he?ll also be eligible to sign a contract extension as early as July 1.

Will the Sabres want to keep Kane beyond next summer though, and will the veteran winger want to stay with the Sabres? Kane will be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career at that point, which can be a tempting carrot for players.

?Evander Kane as a player is a guy who can make a difference,? said NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman during a Wednesday afternoon discussion on Edmonton?s 630 CHED. ?He?s a great forechecker. He can score. I know that at times Dan Bylsma and him butted heads on could Evander Kane make himself more of a diversified scorer, as in find other ways to do it than he does now. So I think that?s a question.

?But when I spoke to Botterill he wouldn?t talk about Kane specifically. But I did get the sense from talking to some other teams like Buffalo was looking at it like, ?We have to decide now. Are we extending him or not. Because if we?re not, maybe we have to move him.? ?

The Canucks have long been connected to Evander Kane in trade rumors.

?Vancouver is always a possibility,? said Friedman when asked. ?I know that rumor has always been out there and Vancouver could definitely use some scoring. I don?t know specific teams at this point in time. But I do believe that Botterill?s decision is either, ?We do it or we move.?

?I don?t know if they want to go in next season with him unsigned because every day that you have a player like that, they?re depreciating as an asset.?

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-sense-sabres-will-either-extend-trade-kane/

I can't believe he's only 26. I like the guy's game but he's just fucking never put it together. Honestly, off-ice issues aside, there are a lot of similarities between him an Kreider. Big strong guys that just kinda don't use their tools.

I can't believe he's only 26. I like the guy's game but he's just fucking never put it together. Honestly, off-ice issues aside, there are a lot of similarities between him an Kreider. Big strong guys that just kinda don't use their tools.

He has put it together on the ice, he's just about a 30-goal scorer over the last two seasons. His problem is just staying on the ice.

28 goals last year for an offense-starved Buffalo. If they were to trade him, they could definitely get the top-4 defenseman they are looking for and so desperately need.

This is purely my speculation, but I could see Columbus making a move for Kane with Ryan Murray in exchange. They have Werenski, Jones, JMFJ and Savard, in addition to Murray. They also have quite a few prospects, and Kekalainen was in a recent Friedman 30 thoughts about going out and acquiring another goal scorer.

?The other thing we?re hearing ? Buffalo, Evander Kane,? said Friedman. ?He?s an unrestricted free agent after next season. One year left on his deal. And the word is that the L.A. Kings are one of the teams that?s interested, and I think the Sabres are willing to do it if L.A. and them can strike a deal.?

Friedman had the chance to follow up on this report, and elaborate a bit, while on Calgary?s Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning.

?I just think there?s a lot going on there,? said Friedman when asked about how confident he sounded regarding that particular note from Saturday?s show. ?I do think the Kings have some interest. Somebody had mentioned to me Anaheim. But someone else had said that wasn?t correct. So I do think the Kings are very interested. I think the Sabres are interested in making the deal. I think it comes down to can they come to terms ? Buffalo is looking for defensemen.

?But I do think that there?s a lot of interest in Evander Kane from the Kings. He fits what they do. And it?s just a matter to me if they close this. But it sounds like it?s pretty serious.?

?I believe Evander Kane will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres,? indicated McKenzie on Montreal?s TSN 690. ?It?s a new regime with general manager Jason Botterill. He?s a year away from unrestricted free agency. I don?t think he fits into their long-term vision of the team, and he may not be the only guy in Buffalo that?s in that situation.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-mckenzie-evaluate-evander-kane-trade-potential/

Archived