• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

You Can Play Confused by NHL?s Gay Slur Double Standard on Getzlaf

Phil

Andrew Shaw, then of the Chicago Blackhawks, was suspended for Game 5 of their first-round series against St. Louis for what the NHL called ?making use of a homophobic slur? during the game. You can see what he said here, and his apology here.

?While Mr. Shaw was apologetic and remorseful for both the offensive comments and the inappropriate gesture directed at the on-ice officials, he must be held accountable for his actions,? said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. ?The emotion of the moment cannot and will not be a mitigating factor for the conduct that is expected of an NHL player.?

Getzlaf was fined for ?directing an inappropriate remark toward another on-ice participant? in Game 4 against Nashville in the Western Conference Final.

?Getzlaf?s comment in Thursday?s game, particularly as directed to another individual on the ice, was inappropriately demeaning and disrespectful, and crossed the line into behavior that we deem unacceptable. The type of language chosen and utilized in this instance will not be tolerated in the National Hockey League,? said Campbell, whose hilariously ironic role as the arbiter of appropriate language makes sense when you remember that the NHL also made Chris Pronger a director for Player Safety.

You?ll notice that the NHL makes clear that what Shaw said was ?a homophobic slur? while Getzlaf?s was an ?inappropriate remark.?

Why the double standard, not only in linguistics but in punishment?

?Because one is more polite than the other,? joked Brian Kitts, president and co-founder of You Can Play.

?I?d be interested in knowing how the League and the NHLPA drew that distinction.?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/can-play-confused-nhls-gay-slur-double-standard-getzlaf-203156047.html

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with being homophobic, anti gay, or whatever else may be considered offensive. They're just words. I don't think Getzlaf or Shaw are any of the above. Sticks and stones.

The fact that people get offended when using words like cocksucker, faggot, homo, gay, muffdiver, is mind-boggling.

But then again, I am part of the cis-gendered, two-gender-believing problem.

Anyway, double standards exist.

Stereotypes exist.

Move on. Calling attention to these trivial "problems" only entices more people to be offended by them.

The fact that people get offended when using words like cocksucker, faggot, homo, gay, muffdiver, is mind-boggling.

But then again, I am part of the cis-gendered, two-gender-believing problem.

Anyway, double standards exist.

Stereotypes exist.

Move on. Calling attention to these trivial "problems" only entices more people to be offended by them.

I agree, man. My wife is a teacher and she agrees too. My brother is gay and he agrees too. We have this conversation all the time. People calling one another faggots or retards in daily conversation, in school, and in bullying situations is the issue, but in a competition where trash talking is just a natural part of any game or sport? Give me a break. He and I play online games all the time, he gets called a faggot all the time without people knowing he was gay. He doesn't give a shit because it's just something people say and he's more than comfortable giving it back to them. None of this is any reflection on whether or not he feels accepted in society, which is the real problem, not some playground name calling. It's insane.

There's a lot of research actually by a man named Michael Kimmel (google him) that includes the fact that we must stop taking away opportunities for boys and men to interact like that. It is and always will be part of their instinct to compete and banter, and there is nothing wrong with that. If they want to call each other faggots, they can do that. Instead of teaching them that this behavior in not normal, which is wrong, we should instead teach them how to confront people who cross the line, and how to talk about how these things make them feel.

Fining NHL players $10,000 (basically nothing) for name calling on the ice sends the opposite of this message. It tells our boys that in a competition there are rules about what you can and can't say and if you break those rules someone else will give the other guy a slap on the wrist. This is wrong. In the real world you can say whatever the fuck you want to say, you just need to learn to deal with the social consequences of that for yourself.

I agree, man. My wife is a teacher and she agrees too. My brother is gay and he agrees too. We have this conversation all the time. People calling one another faggots or retards in daily conversation, in school, and in bullying situations is the issue, but in a competition where trash talking is just a natural part of any game or sport? Give me a break. He and I play online games all the time, he gets called a faggot all the time without people knowing he was gay. He doesn't give a shit because it's just something people say and he's more than comfortable giving it back to them. None of this is any reflection on whether or not he feels accepted in society, which is the real problem, not some playground name calling. It's insane.

There's a lot of research actually by a man named Michael Kimmel (google him) that includes the fact that we must stop taking away opportunities for boys and men to interact like that. It is and always will be part of their instinct to compete and banter, and there is nothing wrong with that. If they want to call each other faggots, they can do that. Instead of teaching them that this behavior in not normal, which is wrong, we should instead teach them how to confront people who cross the line, and how to talk about how these things make them feel.

Fining NHL players $10,000 (basically nothing) for name calling on the ice sends the opposite of this message. It tells our boys that in a competition there are rules about what you can and can't say and if you break those rules someone else will give the other guy a slap on the wrist. This is wrong. In the real world you can say whatever the fuck you want to say, you just need to learn to deal with the social consequences of that for yourself.

Great post. Gotta spread it around, so I can't rep. Although there's rules in place in USA Hockey, the refs let a lot of shit go in our games. It's all in the delivery and how it's used.

Archived