Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Would You Rank the Seattle Grunge Top-Four?

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I remember when Core first came out and getting that album and listening with my friends. Once that opening started for Dead and Bloated, and it would kick in, we would all go wild. I still remember sitting in my friends room rocking out to STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. So many great memories.
    Core was sick. Still is. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    In terms of my own personal preference

Nirvana

Alice in Chains
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam

I loved Nirvana. Here's something that always fucked with my mind. I loved Nirvana and I love Foo Fighters. Would you prefer Kurt never killed himself and Nirvana played on but Foo Fighters never existed?

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I was listening to an interview with Chris today, and it really amazes me the person he was and how he felt for his music. It was from 2012, and he was asked about joining Audioslave and the political roots of Rage, and he talked about how he hates bands that infuse and write about politics and the big machine. He talked about how everyone strives to get the most listeners they can and the only way to do it is to sign with these big companies. He talked about how it didn't make sense, and he didn't want that in his music. He said he wrote about how he felt, and if it came out that it matched up to something political going on, then so be it. He sad how was a big issue for him in Audioslave, and why he went and did his own thing again. I really admire that because me personally, I hate when musicians go so political. I want to listen to music to get away from everything, not hear about more of the nonsense, which is one of the reasons I can't get into Pearl Jam's new stuff. Music lost a great pioneer man, really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Yup. Remember sitting in your bedroom or car blasting cassettes and CDs. No internet to distract you from listening. Going to stores to get music or using a mail catalog. I used one to quickly add to my CD collection in the early to mid-90s.

It seemed like a much more intimate process.

I remember going to the local record store every Tuesday for new music, and they would do midnight sales for big albums and give you extra stuff. I loved that. I still go and buy CD's. I love having a physical copy and the album artwork and booklet. I remember going to listening parties, and my local store would sometimes sell the album the weekend before it was supposed to come out, and they would sell bootlegs. Its not like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Said every generation, ever. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Obviously each generation things change but Internet....Napster, iTunes, Spotify, etc massively change the whole music world.

Those of us in our 30s and older witnessed it first hand. I'm not complaining now as I can order a new album in seconds, things have just changed immensely.

Basically what Pars is saying. The younger generation doesn't know what its like to get excited to get that new album like we did. You can hear a whole album before its released because songs are leaked or put up because album sales aren't as big as the used to. You can get anything now with the click of a button, and Im not complaining, but it meant more back when we were younger because a bad album could kill a bands career. An album release was a big deal, and you wanted your favorite band to be tops in sales that week. There was a loyalty to get the album. Now, you have no loyalty because most of the music coming out is one hit wonders. Its not what it was, and that sales isn't as important as it used to be. There was a pride back then, now, not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    In terms of my own personal preference

Nirvana

Alice in Chains
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam

I loved Nirvana. Here's something that always fucked with my mind. I loved Nirvana and I love Foo Fighters. Would you prefer Kurt never killed himself and Nirvana played on but Foo Fighters never existed?
    I had heard that Nirvana was coming to an end before Kurt killed himself, and that he was planning to do his own thing because he didn't like the success of Nirvana. Again, this is just rumor, but it kind of makes sense if you read some of his journal entries. He was also planning on divorcing Courtney Love at the time. If you want to watch a great doc on Kurt, watch Soaked in Bleach, it really opens a lot of thoughts on his "suicide".

I had heard that Nirvana was coming to an end before Kurt killed himself, and that he was planning to do his own thing because he didn't like the success of Nirvana. Again, this is just rumor, but it kind of makes sense if you read some of his journal entries. He was also planning on divorcing Courtney Love at the time. If you want to watch a great doc on Kurt, watch Soaked in Bleach, it really opens a lot of thoughts on his "suicide".
    Was that the one on HBO or Showtime last year? If so I saw it.

Was that the one on HBO or Showtime last year? If so I saw it.
    No, its on Netflix. This one is by the private detective Courtney had hired. It has a lot of crime scene photo's and talks about all of the evidence they found at the scene and how it really can't be suicide. They have a couple of experts look at the case as well. Its really good, better than the one that was on HBO.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Nirvana- Stands alone above the rest.
    Pearl Jam- Longevity alone
    Soundgarden- Greater commercial success
    Alive in Chains- I'd personally put them 3rd

I'm adding a 5th
    Stone Temple Pilots
    This would be my list.

Nirvana gets the edge because they were so influential on me growing up. Funny enough pesrljam I was never big on until
    I got older, now as far as music goes I think I enjoy them a lot more than I do nirvana. Maybe I've just played nirvana out.

3-5 I can almost say is a tie but those would be my choices.

Moderator Junior Division
    Honestly, I think it was only a matter of time that Grohl did his own thing anyways. I think he was already recording Foo Fighters and planned to release it anonymously before Cobain died - he had written like 40 songs while he was a part of Nirvana but never shared them with the band. Having both Foo and Nirvana was possible, I guess, but Foo Fighters was always going to happen.

Moderator Junior Division
    Basically what Pars is saying. The younger generation doesn't know what its like to get excited to get that new album like we did. You can hear a whole album before its released because songs are leaked or put up because album sales aren't as big as the used to. You can get anything now with the click of a button, and Im not complaining, but it meant more back when we were younger because a bad album could kill a bands career. An album release was a big deal, and you wanted your favorite band to be tops in sales that week. There was a loyalty to get the album. Now, you have no loyalty because most of the music coming out is one hit wonders. Its not what it was, and that sales isn't as important as it used to be. There was a pride back then, now, not as much.
    I guess I get that there's not as much as excitement about and album, explicitly.

But the abstract stuff about loyalty I just don't think is true. "Kids" still have favorite bands or artists that they listen to constantly and gobble up everything new that comes out. I doubt there's significantly more one-hit wonders than there were in the 90s.

No, its on Netflix. This one is by the private detective Courtney had hired. It has a lot of crime scene photo's and talks about all of the evidence they found at the scene and how it really can't be suicide. They have a couple of experts look at the case as well. Its really good, better than the one that was on HBO.
    I will definitely check that out, thank you so much for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Honestly, I think it was only a matter of time that Grohl did his own thing anyways. I think he was already recording Foo Fighters and planned to release it anonymously before Cobain died - he had written like 40 songs while he was a part of Nirvana but never shared them with the band. Having both Foo and Nirvana was possible, I guess, but Foo Fighters was always going to happen.
    Yea I guess you're right. He's too talented to have stayed back there and just play the drums for too long.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Nirvana- Stands alone above the rest.
    Pearl Jam- Longevity alone
    Soundgarden- Greater commercial success
    Alive in Chains- I'd personally put them 3rd

I'm adding a 5th
    Stone Temple Pilots
    STP weren't from Seattle.

I go with:

AIC
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Pearl jam.

Melvins over all of them though.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Outside of Ten and Temple of the Dog, I just don't care about Pearl Jam at all.
    Me too. I LOVED ten, and the album after that, but everything after is just not really too great IMO. I don't know why, I just don't like most of their body of work.
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-19-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    This is so hard. I can't believe there has been no mention of Audioslave hefre. I can't even begin to come up with a list. I am totally enamored by the connection of Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Audioslave. To me, Chis and Andy are the Godfathers of Grunge. I like Nirvana, Alice and Chains and Foo Fighters, but grunge wouldn't be grunge without Andy and Chris.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    For me personally:
    Alice in Chains — This was the band my dad played non-stop when I was growing up to the point that I hated it as a teen. But now I consider them one of my favourite bands.
    Pearl Jam — I never really liked them growing up, but the last few years I've really gotten into them.
    Nirvana — They were one of my favorite bands in high school and a bit later, but I barely listen to them anymore.
    Soundgarden — My dad is huge into them and Cornell as a singer. I never really got into Soundgarden, but I liked Audioslave when they were big and always liked Cornell's solo stuff.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    This is so hard. I can't believe there has been no mention of Audioslave hefre. I can't even begin to come up with a list. I am totally enamored by the connection of Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Audioslave. To me, Chis and Andy are the Godfathers of Grunge. I like Nirvana, Alice and Chains and Foo Fighters, but grunge wouldn't be grunge without Andy and Chris.
    Audioslave wasnt grunge though. PJ, Sound Garden, Nirvana and AIC were all the big Grunge era bands and all were from Seattle. Mother Love Bone is more punk than grunge IMO too, but Audiosoave came after grunge was over.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Me too. I LOVED ten, and the album after that, but everything after is just not really too great IMO. I don't know why, I just don't like most of their body of work.

Same here, Ten and Vs. were great albums, but then they tanked off for me. Virology had a couple of decent songs, but wasn't anywhere near how good the first two were.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Im a huge PJ fan however as far as best grunge bands I would put:

Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    Pearl Jam
    Alice in Chains

Pearl Jams Ten, Vs., Vitalogy were their 3 best albums, then the next 4 were kind of iffy, either though Yield started growing on me a few years ago, then the last 3 albums I thought were very well done, especially Pearl Jam (avocado).

Mother Love Bone was awesome.

Honorable mention would have to be Temple of the Dog, Chris lead singer, PJ members, and a tribute to Andy Wood

Senior Member Bantam Division
    This is probably blasphemy to most:

1. Alice In Chains- Probably my favorite band of all time, fortunate to see the original lineup 6 or 7 times. The new incarnation with William Duvall is actually quite good.
    2. Soundgarden- Saw them open for Guns N Roses at MSG. They were touring for Badmotorfinger.. They were much better than GnR that night, loved them ever since.
    3. Pearl Jam- 10 I loved, Vs. and Yield were great.. I can't remember the last album they had that I really liked.
    4. Nirvana- I liked Nevermind very much, but the rest of the catalog never did much for me.. Weird they didn't have a song on the Singles soundtrack

5. Mudhoney - Underrated band
    6. Screaming Trees- See above
    7. Mother Love Bone- Andrew Wood dying was a seminal moment in the genre.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12