• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Would You Rank the Seattle Grunge Top-Four?

Phil

Of these 4, Personally...

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

My personal liking aside I'd have to view it as....

Pearl Jam (longevity)

Nirvana

Soundgarden

Alice in Chains

I've never been much of a Pearl Jam fan, I like the other 3 much more but I have to respect Pearl Jam even in my personal list even if I never was never truly into their music (if that makes sense)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Outside of Ten and Temple of the Dog, I just don't care about Pearl Jam at all.

I am kind of the same. I liked Ten, Vs. and then parts of Vitolgy were great, I can't listen to anything new from them for some reason. Temple of the Dog was amazing. for me, my list would be:

Nirvana

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

AIC

Badmotor Finger and Superunknown were such great albums, and IMO, kind of pushed Pearl Jam aside, at least for me. The only thing Pearl Jam has over Soundgarden was longevity. But, IMO, quality outweighs quantity. I was never really a big AIC fan.

That being said, losing 3 of the 4 of them really sucks.

If you're talking influence:

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

If you're talking about created the best music:

Nirvana

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

Nirvana- Stands alone above the rest.

Pearl Jam- Longevity alone

Soundgarden- Greater commercial success

Alive in Chains- I'd personally put them 3rd

I'm adding a 5th

Stone Temple Pilots

I agree with you on STP, they are one of my favorite bands, they weren't part of the Seattle scene persay. Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC and Pearl Jam were all from Seattle, STP was from San Diego. But I agree they were part of the pioneers of grunge and definitely deserve a nod.

I'm always surprised by how many people love grunge. I guess it's just a timing/age thing.

For the demographic posting here ... lots of males 20s-40s, it makes sense. Just think about how grunge rock coincided with the Rangers Stanley Cup. I was blessed during my teens years I guess.

For the demographic posting here ... lots of males 20s-40s, it makes sense. Just think about how grunge rock coincided with the Rangers Stanley Cup. I was blessed during my teens years I guess.

I mean I'm a male who is 29 and have 0 appreciation for grunge...or really anything from Seattle in general lol.

I was 3 when badmotorfinger and Nevermind came out.

I hear you. It would be like someone talking about hip hop from the late 90's early 2000's. We didn't grow up with it, so we didn't relate to it and it wouldn't effect us. For some of us though, this was our adolescence and what raised us. Music when we were younger was different than it is now, it meant more to us than music does to people younger than us.

Actually one of my clear memories as a teen was blasting STP at a friends house while playing hours of NHL HOCKEY on Sega.

I remember when Core first came out and getting that album and listening with my friends. Once that opening started for Dead and Bloated, and it would kick in, we would all go wild. I still remember sitting in my friends room rocking out to STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. So many great memories.

I hear you. It would be like someone talking about hip hop from the late 90's early 2000's. We didn't grow up with it, so we didn't relate to it and it wouldn't effect us. For some of us though, this was our adolescence and what raised us. Music when we were younger was different than it is now, it meant more to us than music does to people younger than us.

Said every generation, ever. lol

Yup. Remember sitting in your bedroom or car blasting cassettes and CDs. No internet to distract you from listening. Going to stores to get music or using a mail catalog. I used one to quickly add to my CD collection in the early to mid-90s.

It seemed like a much more intimate process.

Obviously each generation things change but Internet....Napster, iTunes, Spotify, etc massively change the whole music world.

Those of us in our 30s and older witnessed it first hand. I'm not complaining now as I can order a new album in seconds, things have just changed immensely.

I remember when Core first came out and getting that album and listening with my friends. Once that opening started for Dead and Bloated, and it would kick in, we would all go wild. I still remember sitting in my friends room rocking out to STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. So many great memories.

Core was sick. Still is. Love it.

In terms of my own personal preference

Nirvana

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

I loved Nirvana. Here's something that always fucked with my mind. I loved Nirvana and I love Foo Fighters. Would you prefer Kurt never killed himself and Nirvana played on but Foo Fighters never existed?

I was listening to an interview with Chris today, and it really amazes me the person he was and how he felt for his music. It was from 2012, and he was asked about joining Audioslave and the political roots of Rage, and he talked about how he hates bands that infuse and write about politics and the big machine. He talked about how everyone strives to get the most listeners they can and the only way to do it is to sign with these big companies. He talked about how it didn't make sense, and he didn't want that in his music. He said he wrote about how he felt, and if it came out that it matched up to something political going on, then so be it. He sad how was a big issue for him in Audioslave, and why he went and did his own thing again. I really admire that because me personally, I hate when musicians go so political. I want to listen to music to get away from everything, not hear about more of the nonsense, which is one of the reasons I can't get into Pearl Jam's new stuff. Music lost a great pioneer man, really sucks.

Yup. Remember sitting in your bedroom or car blasting cassettes and CDs. No internet to distract you from listening. Going to stores to get music or using a mail catalog. I used one to quickly add to my CD collection in the early to mid-90s.

It seemed like a much more intimate process.

I remember going to the local record store every Tuesday for new music, and they would do midnight sales for big albums and give you extra stuff. I loved that. I still go and buy CD's. I love having a physical copy and the album artwork and booklet. I remember going to listening parties, and my local store would sometimes sell the album the weekend before it was supposed to come out, and they would sell bootlegs. Its not like that anymore.

Obviously each generation things change but Internet....Napster, iTunes, Spotify, etc massively change the whole music world.

Those of us in our 30s and older witnessed it first hand. I'm not complaining now as I can order a new album in seconds, things have just changed immensely.

Basically what Pars is saying. The younger generation doesn't know what its like to get excited to get that new album like we did. You can hear a whole album before its released because songs are leaked or put up because album sales aren't as big as the used to. You can get anything now with the click of a button, and Im not complaining, but it meant more back when we were younger because a bad album could kill a bands career. An album release was a big deal, and you wanted your favorite band to be tops in sales that week. There was a loyalty to get the album. Now, you have no loyalty because most of the music coming out is one hit wonders. Its not what it was, and that sales isn't as important as it used to be. There was a pride back then, now, not as much.

Archived