Thread: The Case Against Kevin $hattenkirk

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

The Case Against Kevin $hattenkirk

Making this type of free agent splash almost certainly means a buyout of Marc Staal and/or Dan Girardi, but the ripple effect goes beyond the two veterans. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where Jeff Gorton spends big on Shattenkirk and then shells out another $4 million or so for Brendan Smith. If that’s the case, then we’re all but guaranteed one of Nick Holden, Marc Staal, or Dan Girardi spending another year in the top four. Perhaps a new face, namely Ryan Graves, Neal Pionk, or Alexei Bereglazov can cement a spot, but that’s likely wishful thinking at this point as only Graves has ever played professional hockey in North America.

The pure cost and trickle-down effect in the lineup make a Shattenkirk contract a tough sell. That’s compounded by the fact that, despite all he does well, he’s never been a top-pairing shutdown defenseman and doesn’t have the skins on the wall to warrant such a promotion in New York.

Click here to view the article.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    This is a really strong case against signing KS. Nice job, Mike. You've got me experiencing second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I'm in for this. I don't want him at the price he could be due.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedForContact View Post
    Making this type of free agent splash almost certainly means a buyout of Marc Staal and/or Dan Girardi, but the ripple effect goes beyond the two veterans. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where Jeff Gorton spends big on Shattenkirk and then shells out another $4 million or so for Brendan Smith. If that’s the case, then we’re all but guaranteed one of Nick Holden, Marc Staal, or Dan Girardi spending another year in the top four. Perhaps a new face, namely Ryan Graves, Neal Pionk, or Alexei Bereglazov can cement a spot, but that’s likely wishful thinking at this point as only Graves has ever played professional hockey in North America.

The pure cost and trickle-down effect in the lineup make a Shattenkirk contract a tough sell. That’s compounded by the fact that, despite all he does well, he’s never been a top-pairing shutdown defenseman and doesn’t have the skins on the wall to warrant such a promotion in New York.

Click here to view the article.
    Yes, and if one imagines for a moment that a gamble on Shattenkirk might backfire like a number of high profile recent NY defensive free agent signings have … NYR defense would be in triple jeopardy for years with buyouts and weakness/holes on the defensive side of the puck.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

I think they're buying out one of G/Staal regardless.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Friedman | Canucks would want high price in any Tanev trade

“There’s been a lot of talk about Chris Tanev and the Vancouver Canucks,” noted Insider Elliotte Friedman during Saturday’s Headlines on Hockey Night in Canada. “You know, the one thing I’ve heard is other GMs who say they’ve reached out to Vancouver and been told that this is no guarantee and if Chris Tanev is going anywhere, the price is going to be very high for him. He’s got three more years under contract. He’s a good player at a good price. I don’t think Vancouver is looking to do this unless it’s a great deal.”
    “I think that if Chris Tanev is getting traded, I would love to see what Vancouver would ask Calgary for,” said Friedman. “I mean, you know this is a pretty old-school league. If you’re trading Chris Tanev to a team in your division, the premium’s got to be really something.”
    Chris Tanev is not ‘not working.’ Chris Tanev is a difference-maker and there is a lot of interest in him. I think Vancouver has made it very clear that wherever he’s going – if he goes – it’s going to be expensive. And I think in a place like Calgary that means even more expensive.
    https://www.fanragsports.com/news/fr...e-tanev-trade/

--

Just a little update for you, Mike.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens