Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilya Kovalchuk Interested in Joining the Rangers?

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect

Ilya Kovalchuk Interested in Joining the Rangers?

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    During his time in the NHL (2001-2002 season to the 2012-2013 season) Kovalchuck was second in PP goals with 138 (one goals out of first) and he was also second in PP points.
    He's also four years older, and last played during the lockout shortened season.

To be honest, I think he could come back and have a Radulov-esque season. I'd take a flyer depending on cost. However, previous posts claim he's worth nothing more than a late round pick but at the same time think he can slot into the top-6. That is unrealistic in my opinion. It's either he's a top-6 forward and will cost as much, or he's got no foot speed and he's done and won't cost more than a 5th or 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    last played in the NHL in the lockout season. he put up over a point per game in the KHL since. 32 goals and 78 points in 60 games last year.

last played in the NHL in the lockout season. he put up over a point per game in the KHL since. 32 goals and 78 points in 60 games last year.
    They are far and away different leagues, different ice, different competition. It's like Kovalchuk playing in the AHL, those numbers don't always translate.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    They are far and away different leagues, different ice, different competition. It's like Kovalchuk playing in the AHL, those numbers don't always translate.

The AHL? Come on now. This is a guy the was a point per game player over 800+ NHL games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The AHL? Come on now. This is a guy the was a point per game player over 800+ NHL games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yeah, four years ago. And yeah, the KHL talent level is similar to that of the AHL.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Might be worth a shot for a year if he's relatively cheap. He's always been a force, and he figured out how to backcheck (somewhat) with the Devils. 32 is not that old

edit: Nevermind, just saw that he's 34. ESPN has him listed as 32 for some reason

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Most of the leading PP goal scorers weren't big shots. After Ovechkin, it goes Kucherov, Schenn, Simmonds, Crosby, Eaves, Hoffman, Benn and finally another big shot in Weber. We tried the big shot in Pirri, and it didn't pay out. There's better ways to spend assets in contracts and trades.

Pirri worked out just fine. He gave them what was expected. The PP looked it's best when he was in the lineup. I wish they dressed him in the playoffs.

As far as Kovalchuk goes. Let's hope the Devil's agree to him coming back, and that he instantly decides that he will only play for the Rangers. Hopefully lowering the asking price to that late first rounder and some garbage the team wants to get rid of anyway.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Jonathan Willis published a pretty interesting piece back in April that suggests he's still a first-line talent.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/i...ne-player-nhl/

Unless his back injury is significant, I tend to agree.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Jonathan Willis published a pretty interesting piece back in April that suggests he's still a first-line talent.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/i...ne-player-nhl/

Unless his back injury is significant, I tend to agree.
    He's what? 34 now? Can he still skate. This team is all about speed. We've seen what happens to players who can't keep up

Well yes and no. We've seen what happens to players who can't keep up with the puck. Foot speed is major benefit but players like Hayes have proven it's not a requirement for success. So even if he has lost a step or two, it's his play with the puck that can still prove his worth.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Definitely a world class talent, but have to keep things in perspective.
    He's 34, and any thought of him on this team is short term. Biggest question would be what is he worth to the Devils.
    And what moves can we make to clear cap space.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    I mean, Jagr was 34 when he had a friggin 120 point season for us.

I don't care if the guy is literally fossilizing. If Kovalchuk can play anything like he could when he left for the KHL, I'll take him on my team with little question.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I mean, Jagr was 34 when he had a friggin 120 point season for us.

I don't care if the guy is literally fossilizing. If Kovalchuk can play anything like he could when he left for the KHL, I'll take him on my team with little question.
    I'm not sure how Jagr ever got into the conversation.
    1- Kovalchuk is no Jagr
    2- That 120 point season was after the lockout when scoring and power plays were inflated in the league. I believe scoring went up 20% that season from year before.
    3- Jagr was actually 33 I believe.
    4- Kovalchuk is no Jagr

Kovalchuk is 5 years removed from the NHL, and his last season was on pace for 68 pts in the NHL (had he not been injured).
    Radulov was maintaining 1.37pts per game in KHL last two seasons before he came back.
    Kovalchuk was maintain 1.15 pts per game in the KHL last two seasons.
    Radulov scored 54 points last season for Montreal.

I think 50-60 pts would be what I would expect out of Kovalchuk at best.

Which, in today's NHL, is a first-line talent. Especially because my guess is half those points will be goals. He'd probably go something like 25-25 or 30-30.

I'm way more concerned with giving assets to the Devils than I am Kovalchuk's ability to produce in the NHL.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I'll say it because nobody else has: does anyone else remember joking back in 2002 that we'd get this guy when he was 35? Back when that was this team's MO?

They nearly had him in a trade with Atlanta years ago He ended up re-signing with ATL before getting traded to NJD years later.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Would probably be a nice pickup to help along Buch too

Deleted Midget Division
    Depending on the cost, could be a great fit - especially with our "Russian-focused" future ahead.

Senior Member Junior Division
    The only reason I'd want him is to cuckhold the Devils and watch him put up a billion points against them. Otherwise the guy can fuck off. No loyalty, not a team player, 34 and years removed from a faster NHL. Not interested.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Kucherov and Hoffman are elite-level shooters. Crosby is Crosby. Schenn, Simmonds and Eaves do their work at the front of the net but have great shooters around them to draw attention.
    http://i.imgur.com/JtnGtn2.mp4
    Pirri worked just fine on the PP.
    I got Kuchy to the front page of imgur the day after this happened and you post the gif with 4 votes. I hate you.
    I hate you so much.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/5StL5
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast