• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Drury Named Wolfpack GM, Ken Gernander Fired

Blue Heaven

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ken-gernander-fired-as-hartford-coach-chris-drury-named-wolf-pack-gm-1.13640046

It is presumed the next Wolf Pack coach will come from Rangers coach Alain Vigneault’s staff or outside the organization.

Associate coach Scott Arniel, a former coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets, has coached the AHL’s Manitoba Moose and Chicago Wolves. Jeff Beukeboom, a Rangers assistant coach last season, spent four years as an assistant coach in Hartford.

On break-up day last Thursday — two days after being eliminated by the Ottawa Senators in the Eastern Conference semifinals — Vigneault said the team’s front office would be meeting to review personnel throughout the organization, from players to staff.

To me, this signals two things:

1. I was off on my prediction about Drury being an NHL GM in 3-5 years. I'm going with two. Especially given the ask from Buffalo to interview him for their vacancy prior to the Botteril hiring.

2. His insight is becoming integral to Gorton's vision, which tells me the connective tissue between the two clubs is going to be much stronger in the coming years. Especially with the Rangers no longer handing out first-round draft picks like candy. I'd expect a better pipeline to and from the Rangers over the next few seasons where a greater emphasis is put on using the Pack as a stepping stone to the Rangers roster. In effect, more Fast's, Lindberg's, and Skjei's.

So, as part of all that, Drury remains an assistant GM with the Rangers, too, in addition to being Wolfpack coach.

? But Jim Shoenfeld, NYR SVP and Wolfpack GM "relinquishing" Wolfpack GM duties, however, still staying on with NYR.

NEW YORK (AP) ? The New York Rangers have named former player Chris Drury the general manager of the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League.

Drury played the final four of his 12 NHL seasons with the Rangers before retiring in 2011. He rejoined the organization in September 2015 as director of player development, then was promoted to assistant GM a year later. He will keep his position with the Rangers in addition to the new role with the Wolf Pack announced Tuesday.

Rangers senior vice president and assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld is relinquishing his duties as GM of the Wolf Pack and will focus solely on his duties in New York.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/05/16/rangers-name-chris-drury-as-gm-of-ahls-hartford-wolf-pack/101767650/

Archived