Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raanta to Flames?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Raanta to Flames?

Friedman was asked about potential interest from the Flames in Antti Raanta of the New York Rangers, who only carries a cost of $1 million per season with a year left on his two-year deal.

“Raanta is a good name to mention,” noted Friedman. “He had a pretty good year this year. The only issue I ever heard about Raanta is that in a league where in net now big is better, he’s not that big a guy. And that’s the only knock I’ve ever heard on that guy. He’s really talented though, and he held the Rangers in it this year when Lundqvist was really struggling.”

Raanta is listed at 6-foot, 195 pounds.

He had a 16-8-2 record in 26 starts with a 2.26 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage during the regular season, including four shutouts.

Albeit lightheartedly, Friedman’s mention for Brad Treliving that “maybe the option is he brings back Elliott and/or Johnson for another year until your kids are ready” did not go over well with this particular audience.
    https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/fri...ending-market/

This makes sense. Both Flames' goaltenders—Elliott and Johnson—are UFAs, neither of whom I'd imagine they're all that interested in bringing back. Raanta, like Talbot, has one year left before UFA, which means they'd get an early preview of how well he could handle a starter's role before considering a long-term extension.

From the Rangers perspective, moving him now has practical benefits. Not only do they gain assets (I'd imagine something similar to the Talbot trade, that brought them three draft picks), but they could sidestep a potential Vegas draft selection that would otherwise net them with nothing, limiting the Knights' selections to Lindberg, Fast, Grabner, Holden, etc.

Even if they somehow don't deal him, and keep him this season, let's be real—there's no way he's re-signing to be Lundqvist's backup again. At best he'd use 2018 UFA to land a starter's role, so it might be wise to get out ahead of that now while he has trade value. Helberg, Nell, Halverson, and Skapski would all compete in camp, plus there are a ton of UFA options for back-up if the Rangers aren't super confident in any of them including Bernier, Nilsson, Kinkaid, etc.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Doesn't each team need to expose a goalie? Are the Rangers getting Elliot in the deal, and can they expose him as a UFA?

I'd hate to see him go, but if they can get picks or a D man... Ok.

Rangers can expose Hellberg. Or if the Vegas draft is too big a complication, they can revisit after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

I'd imagine there's an amount of games played for the goalie that is exposed to meet no?

And wouldn't a priority if such a trade also hinge on the possibility he gets taken in the expansion draft?
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-15-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Any goalie can be exposed. Not the same requirement as it is for skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    No shit? Then fuck yeah. In turn I would sign Elliot to be the back up, after the expansion draft.

What do we think Raanta nets? They got him pretty cheap.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Tkachuk straight up

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    As long as they are under contract for 2017-18 or RFA.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    As long as they are under contract for 2017-18 or RFA.

Well, yeah. That's the same for skaters.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Tkachuk straight up

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Puff, puff pass. Don't hog it, its not a microphone...

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Puff, puff pass. Don't hog it, its not a microphone...
    Sharing is caring

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Junior Division
    I was about to bring this topic up. Raanta is our best trade chip. 1m cap hit for a starter? Jesus what a deal that would be somebody. He's talented and as someone who was a "small" goalie, fuck anyone that says size is an issue. His numbers say otherwise.

I was having a hard time thinking of a team that needed a goalie other than Vegas (who are rumored to want MAF) but Calgary would actually be an awesome trade partner. Could be a good deal to be had for both sides.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

I only watch FOREIGN films Bantam Division Steven.'s Avatar
    Ferland, straight up.
    Hidden Content

"TV is a nickname, nicknames are friends, and television is no friend of mine."

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    It's a done deal if we get at least one of their top prospects in return (Hunter Shinkaruk, Mark Jankowski, Morgan Klimchuk, Oliver Klyngton or Émile Poirier) plus a conditional draft pick if Raanta resigns with them.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Raanta and Giradi for a hockey stick.

Or Raanta for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd if he resigns.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Raanta and Holden for one prospect, a pick and a conditional pick if Raanta resigns or Holden scores more points during the season than Mark Giordano.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    No shit? Then fuck yeah. In turn I would sign Elliot to be the back up, after the expansion draft.

What do we think Raanta nets? They got him pretty cheap.
    A third?

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Tkachuk straight up

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    CGY: Raanta, Miller, 1st, and 2018 2nd
    NYR: Dougie Hamilton and Matt Tkachuk.

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I don't see why the Flames don't try to keep Elliot based on his late season form, however he needs a strong tandem partner. Joni Ortio still isn't ready for the NHL.

If we could get a Talbot-esque package, I'd go for it. Rumor has it a lot of trades are going to be made for players that may be expansion targets so teams don't lose players for nothing. I hope we can take advantage because we are light on picks in this draft despite the first rounder.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Maybe this is an avenue to revisit the Dougie Hamilton thing. Obviously we'd need way more on our end, but it's a starting point.

Wonder if Stepan and Raanta gets it done? Then we can protect another forward.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Maybe this is an avenue to revisit the Dougie Hamilton thing. Obviously we'd need way more on our end, but it's a starting point.

Wonder if Stepan and Raanta gets it done? Then we can protect another forward.
    I'd sooner ship them a winger rather than Stepan, unless we want to bring a center back as well. Maybe take a risk on an underperforming Bennet, but still, that makes Zibanejad our #1C and I'm not sure he's ready.

Raanta and Miller for Dougie and see if you can also get a 4th, but I doubt it.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast