Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Off-Season Thread: Fix the Blue Line or Bust

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Re-sign Smith, go after Shattenkirk and make a play for either Oshie, Eaves or Fisher if they can come in on a decent deal.
    Shattenkirk and Oshie would cost you about $13m a year. That's a colossal mistake. Add to the fact that Smith is going to get $4m or so, and you're talking about adding spending $17m for three guys that you'll be paying until they're in their mid-30s.

Hard pass on that.

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He's in the same range as Faulk and Trouba. I said this way back when, but he is the guy I would have gone after at the deadline, if not Tanev.
    Would you do something like Hayes, prospect, 17' 1st round for Dumba/Trouba? And do you think MIN/Jets would do that?

I just feel like this team is close. If we keep McD, skjei, Smith and gets a guy like Dumba/Trouba in our top-4, then have Staal/G - UFA on the 3rd pair, I think we are good on the back end. Pionk/russian guy could even take the 6th spot aswell.

And I dont feel we lose too much depth with Hayes. Zib is injury-free and I think he just keeps getting better, vesey and Buch now have a year under their belt. Zuc is always playing solid and Nash, tho not scoring like before, still plays a good game.

If we trade Hayes, a key part will be to hold Vegas away from Lindberg tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Shattenkirk and Oshie would cost you about $13m a year. That's a colossal mistake. Add to the fact that Smith is going to get $4m or so, and you're talking about adding spending $17m for three guys that you'll be paying until they're in their mid-30s.

Hard pass on that.
    Which is why I said if we can get them on a decent deal. Oshie and Eaves can score, which is what this team needs on the top 6. Again, everything is contingent on buying out Girardi, and who is picked up in the expansion draft and if the team can make a deal to free up some space.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Who can we get from the Washington yard sale?
    Stepan for Backstrom

Senior Member Junior Division
    Re-sign Smith, go after Shattenkirk and make a play for either Oshie, Eaves or Fisher if they can come in on a decent deal.
    Fisher is not leaving Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Fisher is not leaving Nashville.
    I kind of figured this as well, but you never know what Nashville has planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Would you do something like Hayes, prospect, 17' 1st round for Dumba/Trouba? And do you think MIN/Jets would do that?

I just feel like this team is close. If we keep McD, skjei, Smith and gets a guy like Dumba/Trouba in our top-4, then have Staal/G - UFA on the 3rd pair, I think we are good on the back end. Pionk/russian guy could even take the 6th spot aswell.

And I dont feel we lose too much depth with Hayes. Zib is injury-free and I think he just keeps getting better, vesey and Buch now have a year under their belt. Zuc is always playing solid and Nash, tho not scoring like before, still plays a good game.

If we trade Hayes, a key part will be to hold Vegas away from Lindberg tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Depends on the prospect, but yea. The problem is that Buch is our only real scoring prospect. There's few tradeable assets in the system, at least at forward. Maybe someone really likes Gropp? Idk. I think the ask from either WPG or MIN would be Stepan, and idk if I would do that or not. That's just creating one hole to fill another. I'd have no problem with Hayes and a first rounder, maybe another pick as well, for either of those guys.

At this point, I'd be tempted to flip Kreider for one of them as well, if for no other reason that I think you'd get a pick back too.

Which is why I said if we can get them on a decent deal. Oshie and Eaves can score, which is what this team needs on the top 6. Again, everything is contingent on buying out Girardi, and who is picked up in the expansion draft and if the team can make a deal to free up some space.
    A decent deal for them on the open market is the numbers I used. I mean we could talk about a world where TJ Oshie signs for $3m, but there's no shot it happens.

Eaves isn't a scorer. He's hasn't had more than 15 goals since 2005-6 until this year and he's 33. Guy's a career bottom-6 player who had as many powerplay goals this year than he had in the last 7 years combined.
    Last edited by Future; 05-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Knowing the Rangers, I'm sure Kovalchuk will end up here somehow

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Devils would have to agree, so doubtful either club would make a trade like that. Unless of course the Rangers ridiculously overpaid.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Devils would have to agree, so doubtful either club would make a trade like that. Unless of course the Rangers ridiculously overpaid.
    Tongue in cheek

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

A decent deal for them on the open market is the numbers I used. I mean we could talk about a world where TJ Oshie signs for $3m, but there's no shot it happens.

Eaves isn't a scorer. He's hasn't had more than 15 goals since 2005-6 until this year and he's 33. Guy's a career bottom-6 player who had as many powerplay goals this year than he had in the last 7 years combined.
    I'm fine with giving Oshie and Shattenkirk $6M (cap hit wise) each, which would be a decent deal on both. Eaves is going to come cheap, and this team desperately needs help on the PP. getting him at $3-4M on a 2 year deal wouldn't be bad either. He isn't getting a huge pay day.

I'm fine with giving Oshie and Shattenkirk $6M (cap hit wise) each, which would be a decent deal on both. Eaves is going to come cheap, and this team desperately needs help on the PP. getting him at $3-4M on a 2 year deal wouldn't be bad either. He isn't getting a huge pay day.
    Who are you getting rid of? If you spend $15m on those guys, you are roughly $5m over the cap before you resign Lindberg, Zib, Smith or Fast. You're talking about gutting the entire team to add these guys. To add those three, G and Staal buyouts not withstanding, you're talking about dumping Nash, Stepan, Grabner, Lindberg, Zib, Smith and Fast and replacing them with a 30-year-old forward, a second-pair defenseman, and a 33-year-old forward who went a decade between 20-goal seasons.

I hope you're just spitballing and aren't actually serious about adding all 3.

Who are you getting rid of? If you spend $15m on those guys, you are roughly $5m over the cap before you resign Lindberg, Zib, Smith or Fast. You're talking about gutting the entire team to add these guys. To add those three, G and Staal buyouts not withstanding, you're talking about dumping Nash, Stepan, Grabner, Lindberg, Zib, Smith and Fast and replacing them with a 30-year-old forward, a second-pair defenseman, and a 33-year-old forward who went a decade between 20-goal seasons.

I hope you're just spitballing and aren't actually serious about adding all 3.
    Where did I say to add all 3? The thread was who to add and I threw out some names, never said to gut the team and add all 3. I think it's pretty obvious we can't, and never suggested that. Your reading way to into this. I looked at the list the OP provided in who was available and mentioned who I would look at, never said gut the team to sign them.
    Last edited by NYR2711; 05-11-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Idk, that's kind of what your last post was implying.

Idk, that's kind of what your last post was implying.
    I wasnt implying that, I was responding to you saying every player I mentioned would be too expensive. Again, no where did I say that we should go after all 3, hour jumping to conclusions here. This is whole thread is a discussion on who we should add to the team, doesn't mean we are going to add every player in the OP's list.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division jamsim67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Maybe we can get Ovi and add to the long list of underperformers.
    I don't think he underperformed, think that honor goes to Holtby.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division jamsim67's Avatar
    This team has to get younger. I know Stepan is only 26, but he plays like he's 36 and not in a smart veteran kind of way. If they can get a player and a draft pick for him, pull the trigger. Staal or Girardi? I say Staal. And as much as I like Nash, they aren't going to win a cup with him, so trade him to a contender, give him a chance to win a cup and get some younger players in return. I like Hank, and If there is a market for a 35 year old great goaltender (at least he was), then pull the trigger. Similar to what Buffalo did with Hasak in sending him to Detroit. In my opinion, If he was playing between the pipes for the Capital's, the Capital's would be moving on. Just my opion, don't read to much into it. He's not going to win a cup with the Rangers, so get someone for him. Yes it will suck, but it's time. Sather wasted his best years

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Oshie
    Yup yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He won't be worth the long-term contract. Great player, but his direct comparablesóLoui Eriksson ($6Mx6), Kyle Okposo ($6Mx7), and Andrew Ladd ($5.5Mx7)ópaint a scary picture for a guy who is already 30.
    After Eriksson had a shittastic season, would anyone take him if they would take Staal or Girardi? Then turn around and deal Miller for defensive help?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Actually, doesn't he have to clear waivers if the Devil's want to bring him back?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast