Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Off-Season Thread: Fix the Blue Line or Bust

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Of course that was an issue. Whether it effected his play on the ice, we don't know, but realistically how could it not? How you you like to go to Russia tomorrow and do the job you do without a single person in your office that speaks English except one guy who studied it for four years in university? You probably wouldn't. I pushed for that last season. I'll push for it again. You can't just put a kid on an island and expect him to thrive.

That said, he was also a rookie. Honestly, I thought they kind of let Vesey do whatever the fuck he wanted and clamped down on Buch. Vesey went long stretches of games where he didn't even get a shot on goal, let alone put up points so I'm not quite sure what happened there. I also don't know how the option became either Tanner Glass or Buch -- two different roles, two entirely different players. Again, it's all over and you can second guess everything (which I have). Lots of questionable decisions all around, IMO.
    I missed game one or two of the Sens series. What did Buch do to warrant being benched and the being scratched?

I kind of agree that Vesey had a longer leash. Buch also had the injury. Maybe that held him back or out more than we know.

BTW when is leaving day/clean out the lockers/ final media day thing? Did this happen already? No exposed unknown injuries, no parting shots? Nobody yelling at Brooks?

Senior Member Squirt Division Bigmoe's Avatar
    And this Ottawa team is still pisssing me off
    4 fucking goals already ?

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I think part of Buchnevich's up and down season was the Russian winger the Rangers never got to help ease his transition to North America. He was on an island much of the season with only Kreider to talk to, and Kreider himself has admitted that his Russian is baseline.
    That might be part of it, but I think the injury was far more detrimental, in that regard.

He was on a tear before he hurt his back. I'd bet he never played at 100% the rest of the year.

//reported Junior Division
    What will it take to get Dumba from Minnesota pre-expansion draft?
    A forward that would be protected from the ED and then some?
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    What will it take to get Dumba from Minnesota pre-expansion draft?
    A forward that would be protected from the ED and then some?
    I keep going back and forth on this. I'm not swapping Vesey or Buch for him and they have too many forwards to protect anyways.

Minny is a good trade partner considering they have a glut of D but they have issues with protecting all their forwards, so idk how we could swing it unless they dump a couple of vets (Pominville and Staal, maybe) and want Hayes or something.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I missed game one or two of the Sens series. What did Buch do to warrant being benched and the being scratched?

I kind of agree that Vesey had a longer leash. Buch also had the injury. Maybe that held him back or out more than we know.

BTW when is leaving day/clean out the lockers/ final media day thing? Did this happen already? No exposed unknown injuries, no parting shots? Nobody yelling at Brooks?
    Pretty simple, Buch has more offensive potential and upside, (although Vesey shows signs of brilliance at times).....
    But fact is Buch was LOST when the Rangers don't have possession of puck, and Vesey brings everything else you want from a young player.
    Was the right decision to sit Buch at times. Offense wasn't our issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Pretty simple, Buch has more offensive potential and upside, (although Vesey shows signs of brilliance at times).....
    But fact is Buch was LOST when the Rangers don't have possession of puck, and Vesey brings everything else you want from a young player.
    Was the right decision to sit Buch at times. Offense wasn't our issue.
    But what happened in the playoffs? Buch was looking good, but like I said I missed the game where he got benched and then the next game he was a scratch.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Wasn't sure where to post this but it seems appropriate here. In my boredom from lack of NYR hockey I fooled around on Armchair GM. Would be curious to see if I am wishful thinking. But this generally what I would try and achieve this offseason.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/332847

Explanation is included.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pws85nyr View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this but it seems appropriate here. In my boredom from lack of NYR hockey I fooled around on Armchair GM. Would be curious to see if I am wishful thinking. But this generally what I would try and achieve this offseason.

Explanation is included.
    Stepan and Miller for Duchene ? I don't get the fixation with this guy. He's the definition of inconsistent, which is what gets complained about on here the most. Colorado signs that deal before hanging up while laughing at Gorton in the process.

Hayes and Raanta for Hamilton, plus our 2nd for their 4th ?? Holy fuck, you're fired.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Wishful thinking then.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Wishful thinking then.

Fwiw, I'm not against trading anyone if the deal is right. Imo, that Duchene deal is a serious overpayment.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Explanation is included.
    Like Mikey said, that's an overpayment for Duchene. I think Miller and maybe Klein could get a deal done. I'm all about bringing in Duchene.

I really don't see the Rangers dealing Hayes either. They lured Vesey here by using Hayes as a key magnet to get him here. Can't deal the guy a year later.

Maybe Raanta and Stepan can land Hamilton and a third liner? I wanna play with this armchair thingy.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Stepan and Miller for Duchene ? I don't get the fixation with this guy. He's the definition of inconsistent, which is what gets complained about on here the most. Colorado signs that deal before hanging up while laughing at Gorton in the process.

Hayes and Raanta for Hamilton, plus our 2nd for their 4th ?? Holy fuck, you're fired.
    Lmao seriously

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

I guess I just undervalue Stepan. I think we need to bribe somebody to take on that contract and that will involve another core piece in the trade. Personally I think Duchene is a big upgrade but that's just my opinion. The Hayes comment I understand, but that's where my wishful thinking comes in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Like Mikey said, that's an overpayment for Duchene. I think Miller and maybe Klein could get a deal done. I'm all about bringing in Duchene.

I really don't see the Rangers dealing Hayes either. They lured Vesey here by using Hayes as a key magnet to get him here. Can't deal the guy a year later.

Maybe Raanta and Stepan can land Hamilton and a third liner? I wanna play with this armchair thingy.
    That's totally irrelevant. Anyone can be dealt at any time. It's not a social club.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I guess I just undervalue Stepan. I think we need to bribe somebody to take on that contract and that will involve another core piece in the trade. Personally I think Duchene is a big upgrade but that's just my opinion. The Hayes comment I understand, but that's where my wishful thinking comes in lol.

I think you and I are in the same boat here. While I don't think it's possible to deal for a #1 center that's better than he is without gutting the team, I also don't think he's a must-keep player by any means. Among centers with more than 60 games played, he was 94th in the league this season with a 47% face-off win percentage. He has never broken the 60 point threshold. And while people say everyone's entitled to "one bad year," not showing up in the playoffs to the level he did is inexcusable.

Zibanejad had 37 points in 56 games. Over an 82 game season that's 54 points, as in one less point than what Stepan got us. And Zibanejad had to deal with coming back from a major injury, but looked awesome early in the season. People don't think he's "ready," but he's 24 going on 25. If he's not ready now, when will he be?

Point is: we don't have a lot of assets to trade with, but we do have a lot of shit to fix. Chief among which the blueline. I am perfectly fine with moving Stepan, and perhaps additional pieces if needed, to bring in a top-4 defenseman. I'm also perfectly fine with rolling with Zib-Hayes-Miller-Lindberg down the middle, or perhaps even signing a good 4th line center. Maybe promote Nieves if he's ready.

I don't see a scenario where this team gets a Toews/Crosby/McDavid-type player for our first line center. But that doesn't mean we have to hold on to what we have. We have a lot of RFAs to pay over the next few seasons. At some point we have to start shedding salary, and Stepan's value is not going to go up from here. I said it earlier in the season and I'll say it again: he's the perfect tradable asset. His $6.5 mil paycheck is more than we can afford, but to the right team it's pretty reasonable for what he brings to the table. And I think it's pretty clear that this team won't trade Rick Nash, even if they should in my opinion. Yes: between the two of them I'd absolutely rather keep Stepan.

Again, we have A LOT to fix and not a lot to work with. I believe trading Stepan also allows to protect another forward, i.e.: Fast or Lindberg. We need the cap space and we need the defenseman we'd get in return. Personally, not only do I find him to be expendable, but I also think he's by far the best chip we have to move. Unless of course you want to part with Zook, which I don't. Guy has literal brain damage to the point where he can't remember certain words, and he still plays like an animal every night. His effort alone should've made everyone else on this team ashamed of themselves this season.

All this talk about Joe Thornton - for real? How much would he cost? I think he could be a beast for us and be exactly what this team needs. The Rangers seemed to get nervous and anxious during the play-offs and didn't believe enough in themselfes. I think Thornton would be a strong calming and self-assuring factor to the team and could possibly be a top 3-scorer for this team. But how much will he cost?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    My guess is somewhere between$5-6M per on a three-year deal.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    My guess is somewhere between$5-6M per on a three-year deal.

Slats couldn't help himself on that kind of deal.. Here's hoping Gorton has a modicum of self control

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    That's totally irrelevant. Anyone can be dealt at any time. It's not a social club.
    You don't think that doing such a thing sends a bad signal to future possible signees? They used Hayes to get Vesey to sign here. He came here to play with his buddy. Isn't it a risk of losing Vesey mentally, and kind of sends a bad message to future FA's?

I'd like to deal Hayes. I just don't think it's in the Rangers interest to piss off Vesey. It's not a country club. But it's the Rangers. Seems like its similar enough.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast