Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Is This Season's Result Any Different From Last Season's Result?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,286
    Rep Power
    59

    Is This Season's Result Any Different From Last Season's Result?

    Last season the hapless Rangers, with their horrible defense and gutless efforts, got stomped on by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Embarrassed. People called for AV to be fired. People wanted wholesale changes. People wanted the core blown up. The Rangers were done.

    Fast forward one season and the Rangers, with basically the same exact team, same exact system, and same exact coach, get embarrassed again but this time by an inferior team.

    Now, yes, they beat Montreal. But had the Rangers actually have to compete against a good team in the first round, you could argue they would have been stomped on all over again. Bounced in the first round. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that that Washington, Pitt, or even Columbus would have worked the Rangers.

    The question is, why didn't anything change after last season? Why were Holden and Clendenning seen as good fixes for the shit back end? Why was AV allowed to make mind numbing personnel decisions all over again? Why was this Rangers core allowed to lay down and die... again?

    My worry is that the win over MTL will mask the true issues that this team has. Deep seeded issues with players like Rick Nash who has now proven over and over and over again that he's a ghost in the most important moments. Issues with Derek Stepan who looks slow and clunky and can neither win a face-off or make a tape-to-tape pass. Kevin Hayes, who's stupidity with and without the puck is shocking. Girardi, Staal, Miller (1 goal in 40 playoff games), etc.

    This has to be the last post season where role players out perform the top 6. Otherwise, what are we even doing?
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    28
    I think the result is different, because last year we were embarrassed by a team that was flat out better than everyone else in the league by a mile.

    This year we were outworked by the worst team left in the playoffs.

    I expect the offseason result to be different as well, because that last one is completely unacceptable.

  3. #3
    I only watch FOREIGN films Bantam Division Steven.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nutley, New Jersey
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I think the result is different, because last year we were embarrassed by a team that was flat out better than everyone else in the league by a mile.

    This year we were outworked by the worst team left in the playoffs.

    I expect the offseason result to be different as well, because that last one is completely unacceptable.
    Last offseason was pretty good based on getting Zibanejad alone.

    I would be disappointed, though, if there weren't major changes made.

    And the address the OP, yes. This year's team was a bit better than last year's team. I don't think last year's team would have beaten anyone in the first round. We had more talent this year, but our coach made the flaws of this team even worse than they already were.
    Hidden Content

    "TV is a nickname, nicknames are friends, and television is no friend of mine."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division NYRanger11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4
    I'd argue that this result was worse than last years result by far. Finished with pretty much the same record in the regular season, only difference coming in 4th in the Metro and 3rd in the East compared to this years, 4th and 5th finishes. As mentioned earlier, thanks to the dumb playoff format we had no chance against Pitt in the 1st round and the pain was short lived. We follow that with a gift from the hockey gods by being rewarded with Montreal and Ottawa who will possibly get swept or lose in 5 games against PIT/WAS and we shit the bed multiple times handing this sorry excuse for an ECF team multiple wins. Something major has to change or we'll be looking at a WC2 and a first round loss next year before screaming for changes once again.

  5. #5
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,154
    Rep Power
    101
    This loss is 10,000 times worse because the loss is completely self-inflicted, as opposed to last year, when it was only like 25% self inflicted.

    Having said that, there's no reason this team, as is, couldn't be a contender next year too. This roster is good enough to beat anyone, even with the glaring holes. But for whatever reason, maybe the coach, they just can't all fire at the same time. It's an issue with consistency, not with talent.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Myusername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,489
    Rep Power
    34
    Consistency is part of being good enough though, and they far and away are lacking there

  7. #7
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,286
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This loss is 10,000 times worse because the loss is completely self-inflicted, as opposed to last year, when it was only like 25% self inflicted.

    Having said that, there's no reason this team, as is, couldn't be a contender next year too. This roster is good enough to beat anyone, even with the glaring holes. But for whatever reason, maybe the coach, they just can't all fire at the same time. It's an issue with consistency, not with talent.
    Disagree 100%. I just don't see the talent. Like, at all. Not a single player broke 60 points this season. Not a single game breaker. And again, the top 6 was outworked by the bottom 6 for what seems like the 4th year in a row. That's just not acceptable
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    28
    This team is not a contender next year, sorry. They weren't last year and they obviously are not this year. They're simply not good enough. Goalie isn't good enough, defensemen aren't good enough, and the forwards are the most overrated group of forwards in the league. They're not good enough either. Nobody cares how many goals per game you score, or how many forwards have over 20 goals this year when one guy on the other team has a magical night, scores 3, and then scores the 4th in overtime to beat you. Nobody cares.

    J.G. Pageau was good enough in this series. The Rangers were not. Too many times they are not. That's on the players, not the coach.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    11
    Last year I was exceedingly furious about two Staal brothers, nowadays only one of them hurts me expectedly in every game and makes my eyes feel sick. This is a progress!


  10. #10
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    22
    They all suck.. This is frustrating, but not the end of the world.. I think Pitt or Washington would smoke us next round anyhow..

  11. #11
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,286
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    They all suck.. This is frustrating, but not the end of the world.. I think Pitt or Washington would smoke us next round anyhow..
    Like they did last season. And that's the point. What is the goal of the organization right now? After last season they decided to tread water. Can't do that again.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  12. #12
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,328
    Rep Power
    320
    Last year was worse. This year's team was significantly better than last years. They cruised to a similar regular record season record only because it was beneficial to do so. Last year's team need Hank to be outstanding to make the playoffs, this year's team made the playoff despite arguably Hank's worst regular season.

    They handled Montreal fairly easily and if not for some head scratching coaching decisions, they would likely be resting to face the game seven winner of tonight's Eastern Conference Match up. Whether Washington and Pittsburgh adequately wore down whoever wins tonight for the Rangers to have had a shot against them, only time will tell.

    The team needs to work on the defense, both by getting more youth and ridding itself of some tired, old vets. They also need a coach who's significantly better in game, but still is as tactically and strategically as strong as AV. Fix those two things and the Rangers will be right back at it next post season.

  13. #13
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,328
    Rep Power
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Like they did last season. And that's the point. What is the goal of the organization right now? After last season they decided to tread water. Can't do that again.
    They traded Brassard for Zib, let Yandle walk in favor of Skjei getting a more prominent role, replaced Stralberg with Grabner which turned out to be a huge upgrade, let Boyle retire in favor of bringing in Holden. They also added Vesey and Buchnevich.

    They did a lot last season to get better. They still have a ways to go on the back end.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    They traded Brassard for Zib, let Yandle walk in favor of Skjei getting a more prominent role, replaced Stralberg with Grabner which turned out to be a huge upgrade, let Boyle retire in favor of bringing in Holden. They also added Vesey and Buchnevich.

    They did a lot last season to get better. They still have a ways to go on the back end.
    Agreed.. This series was lost scoring 20 goals in 6 games, with many of the big guns dead silent.. An overhaul of the defensive corps and this team is in solid shape..

    Year over year we can't expect Grabner to produce at the same level.. But I'm confident Vesey get better as does Miller and Zib playing the entire year would be great.. Still a solid core, but the defense, power play, and willingness to playoff hockey all need drastic improvement or we will be having the same fucking conversation 12 months from now.

  15. #15
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Agreed.. This series was lost scoring 20 goals in 6 games, with many of the big guns dead silent.. An overhaul of the defensive corps and this team is in solid shape..

    Year over year we can't expect Grabner to produce at the same level.. But I'm confident Vesey get better as does Miller and Zib playing the entire year would be great.. Still a solid core, but the defense, power play, and willingness to playoff hockey all need drastic improvement or we will be having the same fucking conversation 12 months from now.
    Yep, and if his career arc holds true, he's going to score 6 goals all year next year.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    8
    The power play...how could we not score last night on a 4 minute PP. I felt like it meant nothing and that Ottawa knew exactly what to do. Big fix needed there.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •