• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Restricted Free Agents To Be Available In Vegas Signing Window

Phil

It was reported months ago that the Vegas Golden Knights would be given a window before the expansion draft in which to talk to pending free agents. Should they sign one of them, the player would ?count? as the selection from his former team, making them exempt from giving up an additional player in the expansion draft. Today, Pierre LeBrun of TSN tweeted that not only will that window include unrestricted free agents, but unprotected restricted ones too with no offer sheets or compensation required.

He clarified that he believes the window will take place at some point between when the teams need to submit their protection lists (June 17th) and when the Golden Knights make their picks (June 20th). The league is still working on when and how long exactly the window will be open, before announcing the picks on June 21st.

While unprotected restricted free agents were theoretically always available to Vegas through the draft itself, it does open another interesting quirk in an already extremely complicated draft for the Golden Knights. The window will likely be spent talking to many RFAs to determine the likelihood of them signing long term in Vegas before picking/signing them, not wanting to lose an asset soon after acquiring it.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/05/restricted-available-signing.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought that was known a long time ago. It is only RFAs they can select in the draft. It allows them to know what it might cost to sign them if they claim them.

So for us if we don't protect Fast and they may want to select him, they get a chance to talk with him to get a sense of what deal he would accept. If they are between say Raanta and Fast, knowing Fast might only be interested in getting to UFA as quickly as possible might effect their decision.

Fuck Las Vegas. This gonna suck either way. Hate to lose one of Raanta, Fast or Grabner.

Grabner is having a career year.. he's going to get paid and will likely never be this good again. Immnot basing this on anything I just have this feeling. I would go crazy trying to re-sign him, at least not for what he will likely be asking.

Grabner is having a career year.. he's going to get paid and will likely never be this good again. Immnot basing this on anything I just have this feeling. I would go crazy trying to re-sign him, at least not for what he will likely be asking.

Grabner is under contract for next season, so we probably don't need to worry about that too much.

Losing Fast or Lindberg is going to suck, and that's exactly who they are most likely losing (versus one-year rentals in Grabner/Raanta). The only way I can see that not happening is if they throw a pick or prospect Vegas' way for them to take Holden or Klein instead.

It's happened in Grabner's career before, namely after a 34 goal rookie season with the Islanders. His goal totals the next three seasons were 20, 16, and 12. After that it was just paltry. He worked well with Hayes. Similar to Hagelin and Hayes, where a speedy winger works well on a line with Hayes.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

via Pierre LeBrun tweets,

Interesting: have heard from teams who are contemplating using Vegas' unique free-agent window prior to June 21 in this fashion

Team X could offer Vegas an asset in exchange for signing a pending UFA from another team during that unique window

Then Vegas would flip that signed player to Team X. But key is that Vegas must wait until after expansion draft to flip the signed player

That's because any signed free agent during the unique window counts as one of Vegas' roster picks for expansion draft?

Might be worth the asset for Vegas if it counts as an expansion draft pick from a team that doesn't have much to select from to begin with

And FYI, league source says all of this is permissible. Just another potential expansion draft week wrinkle?.

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/oh-this-should-be-fun

Quickie is exactly the type of player this lackadaisical team needs to hang on to and need more of. He's all out on every shift. I think you have to keep him and Oscar here.

And AV chomping that valium laced gum. Hit the bricks, pay him off. Get some type A guys in here, play with purpose.

We can't lose Fast or Lindberg for nothing. Raanta would suck too, but that one would be easier to stomach. But Fast and Lindberg are two huge pieces of this team's defensive forward depth in the future. Both of them showed they were gamers when our alleged "stars" were nowhere to be found, so we know they're going to show up in the playoffs too, which is more than can be said for most of this team.

Losing either one of them would be an absolute soul-crusher for me. They are way, way, way more important to this team than their roles, ice time and contracts would lead people to believe. Especially after losing Hagelin, I can't stomach losing one of them.

I would sacrifice a 3rd round pick to hold Vegas away from Lindberg/Fast. Give them a 3rd rounder and make them pick Klein (if that is allowed/possible ofcourse, dont know how this works).

No 3rd Round pick, traded to Detroit for Smith.

Rangers have a 1st, Panthers 4th, 5th, Canucks 6th, and a 7th.

No 3rd Round pick, traded to Detroit for Smith.

Rangers have a 1st, Panthers 4th, 5th, Canucks 6th, and a 7th.

Seriously I'd sacrifice a second in a future year. How many turn into pros you want to even keep anyway -- a bird in the hand in this case is worth a 2nd in the bush.

We can't lose Fast or Lindberg for nothing. Raanta would suck too, but that one would be easier to stomach. But Fast and Lindberg are two huge pieces of this team's defensive forward depth in the future. Both of them showed they were gamers when our alleged "stars" were nowhere to be found, so we know they're going to show up in the playoffs too, which is more than can be said for most of this team.

Losing either one of them would be an absolute soul-crusher for me. They are way, way, way more important to this team than their roles, ice time and contracts would lead people to believe. Especially after losing Hagelin, I can't stomach losing one of them.

Totally with you on that. these guys are playing the game the right way. in the playoffs too. Keepers.

Seriously I'd sacrifice a second in a future year. How many turn into pros you want to even keep anyway -- a bird in the hand in this case is worth a 2nd in the bush.

Totally with you on that. these guys are playing the game the right way. in the playoffs too. Keepers.

:word:

Lindberg and Fast are finally paying off after being in the Rangers system. I'd give up picks no problem to keep them both.

Can the Rangers do a deal that forces Vegas to draft a specific player? It would be incredible if they could be persuaded to take Marc Staal.

Yes. They can entice McPhee with draft picks, for example.

Staal would need to waive his NMC in order to be exposed. Highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived