Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: [ECSF] (#6) Rangers vs Ottawa Senators // If They Lose We Riot

Senior Member Midget Division

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
    Uh they've won 3 cups in 7 years. We've won, uh, wait for it...zero. But no, the team doesn't deserve any criticism, everything is just peachy and hunky dory.
    Uh, I never said they didn't deserve criticism; they surely do.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Uh, I never said they didn't deserve criticism; they surely do.
    And I just want to correct you a bit on the idea that no one is calling for a Blackhawks implosion. There are plenty of people who see flaws in the Blackhawks roster, but the core of that roster is untradeable due to horrible contracts and no move clauses.

Kane and Toews are signed through 2023 at $10.5M AAV and have an NMC. 38 year old Marian Hossa is signed through 2021 at $5.275M AAV and has an NMC. Artem Anisimov was given an NMC for some reason. Marcus Kruger, a player who hasn't even hit 30 points in his career yet, is signed for 2 more years at $3M AAV and has an NTC next year.

Next year Panarin's new contract kicks in at $6M and that's one of their better contracts. After Panarin, literally every other forward on the roster makes less than $1M. It's a very top heavy roster.

Then, on the back end it's even worse. First, credit where credit is due, Keith signed through 2023 at $5.5M AAV is a fucking coup but he's got an NMC. Brent Seabrook - their Dan Girardi - is making $6.85M until 2024 with an NMC. Hjalmarsson is making $4M with an NMC too.

So they're handcuffed. They can't trade anyone of value without them waiving their no move clause (unless they trade Panarin) and they can't trade some of their dead weight like Seabrook. Maybe they can jettison Kruger before his NTC kicks in, but who is taking that contract for basically a 4th line center?

If you notice the trend, it's going to be like this every year until about 2021. They'll try to mix it up with low cost rookies and spare parts, but unless they find a diamond in the rough, it's going to be tough going for them. They became a victim of their own success. They had to sign these players to these deals (except Hossa) and show loyalty because of the success these players have given them. Along the way, they lost key pieces like Saad, Ladd, and Byfuglien.

And it's not like they can trade their coach who won them 3 Stanley Cups either. It's a roster construction issue, not a coaching issue.

So anyway, the calls for change in Chicago are quiet since most people realize that there's nothing to be done.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division jrc64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    You're reading too much into it. AV is a player's coach. The fans are sick of him, not the players. I don't think Hank is throwing AV under the bus like he did Torts and unless that happens, I don't see him going anywhere.
    We have no idea what is going through the players heads and how they are feeling. I know its their teammates, but let's be honest.....if WE as fans knew certain players did not belong on the ice at critical times, don't you think the players know it as well. Again, it's their teammates, and I get that they will always be supportive of them. However, I'm sure in their minds they certainly must be questioning the player decisions in those moments as well as his defensive shell style of play with a one or two goal lead with less than 7 or 8 minutes left.

Exit interviews today. Should be interesting.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    And I just want to correct you a bit on the idea that no one is calling for a Blackhawks implosion. There are plenty of people who see flaws in the Blackhawks roster, but the core of that roster is untradeable due to horrible contracts and no move clauses.

Kane and Toews are signed through 2023 at $10.5M AAV and have an NMC. 38 year old Marian Hossa is signed through 2021 at $5.275M AAV and has an NMC. Artem Anisimov was given an NMC for some reason. Marcus Kruger, a player who hasn't even hit 30 points in his career yet, is signed for 2 more years at $3M AAV and has an NTC next year.

Next year Panarin's new contract kicks in at $6M and that's one of their better contracts. After Panarin, literally every other forward on the roster makes less than $1M. It's a very top heavy roster.

Then, on the back end it's even worse. First, credit where credit is due, Keith signed through 2023 at $5.5M AAV is a fucking coup but he's got an NMC. Brent Seabrook - their Dan Girardi - is making $6.85M until 2024 with an NMC. Hjalmarsson is making $4M with an NMC too.

So they're handcuffed. They can't trade anyone of value without them waiving their no move clause (unless they trade Panarin) and they can't trade some of their dead weight like Seabrook. Maybe they can jettison Kruger before his NTC kicks in, but who is taking that contract for basically a 4th line center?

If you notice the trend, it's going to be like this every year until about 2021. They'll try to mix it up with low cost rookies and spare parts, but unless they find a diamond in the rough, it's going to be tough going for them. They became a victim of their own success. They had to sign these players to these deals (except Hossa) and show loyalty because of the success these players have given them. Along the way, they lost key pieces like Saad, Ladd, and Byfuglien.

And it's not like they can trade their coach who won them 3 Stanley Cups either. It's a roster construction issue, not a coaching issue.

So anyway, the calls for change in Chicago are quiet since most people realize that there's nothing to be done.
    Keeping it simple. I'm only saying that no one in the hockey world is calling for an all out destruction of the Hawks unlike what is being suggested by many here. Changing things for the better, yes. However the assumption that by bringing in this guy and getting rid of that guy - coach included - just because the team got eliminated, is going to make things just hunky-dory, is a bit silly imo. A play here or there was the difference in spite of the fact that they blew a couple of pretty sure wins and had 39 shots in game 6, many of which could have gone in - says that they put on a pretty good performance in losing this series. All players make mistakes. Only robots don't. Not a reason to necessarily get rid of a player. Older players need less ice time and have to be used more effectively. The difference in the series, imo, was Karlsson and the ineffective PP. Want value? Stop the long term contracts and the no movement/no trade clauses.
    Last edited by LONG TIME FAN; 05-11-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637