Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Stepan Worth?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Yup. Tough sell. It's not like there's a quality free agent to plug in his place either.

I'm all for exploring the market, but if there's no deal to be made, so be it. I'm fine keeping him around. Reliability > unreliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    I'll have to agree. The only way you're moving him is with an upgrade at Center in mind and if you do that you can likely forget about upgrading the back-end too much.

Yeah, he's not the cap dump guy. I seriously doubt there's another Zibanejad out there to bring in at half the cost.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    They both had that opportunity here. Brass was on the top PP unit as well as Stepan was, and Dubi played with Jagr. Both of them had every opportunity here to shine just as much as Stepan, your grasping at straws here. Dubis game fell way off here, and Brassard was just as streaky as Stepan. I'd rather have Brass over Zib, but Brass and Step were pretty much playing the same minutes and given the same opportunities, and you can even argue that Brass had better line mates when he was here. As for the playoffs, Stepan has been a far better player in his career playoff wise than Brassard has. Your hate for Stepan is taking away from the facts, and you can't simply disregard stats, that is the main thing to look at when comparing these guys.

If you truly want someone that complain about these playoffs, look at Zib, Hayes and Miller. They have been just as bad as Stepan, with Hayes and Miller being far worse, and all 3 will be looking for paydays this summer or next. They are far more the issue IMO.
    Then their shitty play comes in good timing. Perfect reason to short them a few mil on their next contract.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    I'm with dude here. his play this whole year has been sub par for a no 1 center. His actions in the playoffs, with yesterday's performance the straw that breaks the back if you ask me. What supposed leader of a team would ever tell anyone to "relax" on the ice during the playoffs or at any other time for that matter.

This goes back to what i wrote (after game 2 i believe) that speaks to the complacencey being with this organization provides. Steps is coddled in my mind. His ass should have been glued to the bench yesterday.

Given the kids we have signed on defense maybe the move this summer is for a no 1 center instead of Shattenkirk. No way i give this kid a long term deal. trade him for what you can and get a no. 1 in here with playoff experience and the heart of Zucc.

I won't argue about lindberg assuming the role though i would give him a chance in camp to see what he could do. He's earned it in my mind.

do we have to protect Steps? Damn shame we would have to and expose Grabner who will certainly get picked up.

the only thing i like about steps is his mom. shes a milf.
    The #1 center market is crazy good right now! There's 37 year old Joe Thornton, 36 year old Mike Fisher, Martin Hanzal of 39 points last year, 40 year old Matt Cullen, 37 year old Mike Ribeiro. Oh! Oh! We can bring back Brian Boyle, or hope that Sam Gagner continues his reclamation project.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Stepan for Duchene.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Stepan for Duchene.
    In a heartbeat

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Here's the real question you're not accounting for — if you trade Stepan, who takes his matchups?

I love Lindberg, but there's no way he can stand up to the rigors of playing against the best the league has to offer night in and night out.

Hayes, Miller, free agent...? I just don't see the Rangers going anywhere with Stepan as the top or second line center. I honestly think he holds them back. His role as defacto top two center who chips in some points and is defensively smart, could be replaced by a totally different type of player. Maybe a top tier point producer in his spot (not his role as the role would change) change the chemical make up of this team?

If they don't advance or make the finals, what exactly can be changed to make the current roster any better than they are now? Upgrade on D and you still have the not all too scary offense consisting​ of what we see today.

What I bolded simply isn't true. He was second on the team in assists, and 3rd on the team in points this past season. He has been consistent in his point production as in past years. Hayes, Miller and Zib are more of an issue here than Step is. All 3 are getting new contracts with in the next year or two, and all 3 haven't produced in the second half of the season and here is the post season. Step may be having an off year, but so does every player. You don't dump a guy for 1 bad season who has been one of the teams top players over the past couple of years. Also, you move Step, you have a huge hole to fill on the team, a hole no one we have can fill.
    The guy went 20+ games with out a goal at the end of the season. He has 2 in the playoffs. That's not good enough and if that's not a black hole, then I don't know what is. Try and cut it any way you want. They need more production from his spot. He is what he is, but it's not enough. They need better. Whether it's a more skilled player, a bigger stronger player, a faster player, I don't have that answer. I just think something different. He's just not enough.

I think Zib leads the forwards in points. Hayes and Miller just got new deals.

Stepan being Stepan just isn't enough. They need more of a game changer. Miller IMO is capable of filling right in and doing the same job, with more offense. So, in house there is a possible fill in.

I look to free agency, or for a team that wants to drop a contract or change direction. Maybe the Rangers can package Girardi with Stepan and walk away with one not so good contract for a more skilled player? IDK. Stepan may or may not have value to other teams. Hell, if they can pull off another Brass for Zib type of trade, I'm all for it.

And if they don't win, Maybe it's time to start tearing it all down? Start with Stepan to go along with Girardi Staal and Nash. Then move Kreider. Then everyone.

Maybe I'm over reacting to a bad playoffs by him, but I've kinda always felt this way about Stepan. Nice player. Just not a guy you win with as one of your go to guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I hate Stepan as much as anyone on this board, but trading him is a mistake for Phil's reason above. You're not packaging him for someone who can take his minute and be as effective on the scoresheet as he is. It's simply not going to happen. Watching him sucks and I think he has been particularly virulent this postseason, but he's a player we would need to replace and can't the way we're built right now.
    Why not? Didn't Miller out produce him? They can't grad a guy from free agency to put up 55 points? I disagree. No it won't be a young guy you can build around, but such a player can surely be brought in if they were to go outside the organization.

Hayes proved he wasn't ready to play up in the lineup this season when Zibanejad got hurt.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    You can't really complain about Stepan's lack of production in the playoffs and then cite Miller as being someone who can step in and do better when he's been just as bad throughout. You need a considerable improvement on Stepan if you're moving him. Miller isn't that.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Why not? Didn't Miller out produce him? They can't grad a guy from free agency to put up 55 points? I disagree. No it won't be a young guy you can build around, but such a player can surely be brought in if they were to go outside the organization.
    Outproduced him by 1 point in what was Miller's best season so far and Stepan's third worst.

As for the playoffs, Stepan has been a far better player in his career playoff wise than Brassard has. Your hate for Stepan is taking away from the facts, and you can't simply disregard stats, that is the main thing to look at when comparing these guys..
    This isn't true. Brassard has more playoff point in less games. Brassard is a playoff performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Hayes proved he wasn't ready to play up in the lineup this season when Zibanejad got hurt.

He totally did prove capable of doing it. Yes he fell off and is still off, but I think you're forgetting how big he bounced back. He had a really good regular season up until around the all star break, or even later. Hayes was on fire for a long while there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    You can't really complain about Stepan's lack of production in the playoffs and then cite Miller as being someone who can step in and do better when he's been just as bad throughout. You need a considerable improvement on Stepan if you're moving him. Miller isn't that.
    Miller isn't playing with Nash and Vesey. He's not playing center.. I realize I named Hayes as a possible fill in, but he hasn't been too great for a while, and maybe that's affected Miller, who has looked better with Lindberg.

We are talking about filling the void left by Stepan. They have two maybe three guys that could possibly do his job to the capability he did this year and currently.
    I'd take a 37 year old Thornton over Stepan, if they can trade Stepan for a good Day man or top prospects.. Old man Thornton is pretty much close to pacing Stepans numbers. I AM a Thornton fan boy though...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Outproduced him by 1 point in what was Miller's best season so far and Stepan's third worst.
    In Miller's what? Second full season getting less minutes..? I think Miller could handle the position. Obviously a different role though, as Miller isn't as good defensively. He'd play a different game than Stepans. Maybe a direction they need to go?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I mean folks this argument is solvable by naming a player that you can bring in to replace Stepan. We all can agree that our current depth can't do it, he needs a replacement. So name one.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I mean folks this argument is solvable by naming a player that you can bring in to replace Stepan. We all can agree that our current depth can't do it, he needs a replacement. So name one.
    Bryan Little will be on the last year of his contract and JETS likely wont be able to extend him with Ehlers, Trouba RFA and nearly their entire current rosters contracts expiring after next season, also they need a goalie and need one now. Problem is they likely wont want to move him until the deadline.

So the idea is get older and less productive? If so, Little fits the bill.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast