Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 198

Thread: What is Stepan Worth?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Midget Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,531
    Rep Power
    37

    What is Stepan Worth?

    What can they get for this guy, come summer time? I'm fed up. It's really hard to watch this guy continually play soft, weak, slow and indecisive on a line with talented players like Nash and Vesey. I feel those guys suffer so much from playing with Stepan. They sustain zero pressure when he's out there. Maybe they should switch him to wing? He's not a play maker. He's not a puck carrier. He doesn't win faceoffs.. Why is he paired with the teams most talented scorer? By default? I swear I have more confidence in Lindberg. Can we go into next year with Lindberg in his spot?

    Trade him for picks or prospects?

    He's just not fit for the role he is given. He's a black hole on offense. He's not improving and he's not upping his linemates game. IMO, he a no brainier to be on the move.

  2. #2
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,062
    Rep Power
    357
    Here's the real question you're not accounting for — if you trade Stepan, who takes his matchups?

    I love Lindberg, but there's no way he can stand up to the rigors of playing against the best the league has to offer night in and night out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #3
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    3,805
    Rep Power
    31
    I'm with dude here. his play this whole year has been sub par for a no 1 center. His actions in the playoffs, with yesterday's performance the straw that breaks the back if you ask me. What supposed leader of a team would ever tell anyone to "relax" on the ice during the playoffs or at any other time for that matter.

    This goes back to what i wrote (after game 2 i believe) that speaks to the complacencey being with this organization provides. Steps is coddled in my mind. His ass should have been glued to the bench yesterday.

    Given the kids we have signed on defense maybe the move this summer is for a no 1 center instead of Shattenkirk. No way i give this kid a long term deal. trade him for what you can and get a no. 1 in here with playoff experience and the heart of Zucc.

    I won't argue about lindberg assuming the role though i would give him a chance in camp to see what he could do. He's earned it in my mind.

    do we have to protect Steps? Damn shame we would have to and expose Grabner who will certainly get picked up.

    the only thing i like about steps is his mom. shes a milf.

  4. #4
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,583
    Rep Power
    110
    His sister is a smokeshow too


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  5. #5
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,039
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    What can they get for this guy, come summer time? I'm fed up. It's really hard to watch this guy continually play soft, weak, slow and indecisive on a line with talented players like Nash and Vesey. I feel those guys suffer so much from playing with Stepan. They sustain zero pressure when he's out there. Maybe they should switch him to wing? He's not a play maker. He's not a puck carrier. He doesn't win faceoffs.. Why is he paired with the teams most talented scorer? By default? I swear I have more confidence in Lindberg. Can we go into next year with Lindberg in his spot?

    Trade him for picks or prospects?

    He's just not fit for the role he is given. He's a black hole on offense. He's not improving and he's not upping his linemates game. IMO, he a no brainier to be on the move.
    What I bolded simply isn't true. He was second on the team in assists, and 3rd on the team in points this past season. He has been consistent in his point production as in past years. Hayes, Miller and Zib are more of an issue here than Step is. All 3 are getting new contracts with in the next year or two, and all 3 haven't produced in the second half of the season and here is the post season. Step may be having an off year, but so does every player. You don't dump a guy for 1 bad season who has been one of the teams top players over the past couple of years. Also, you move Step, you have a huge hole to fill on the team, a hole no one we have can fill.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    28
    I hate Stepan as much as anyone on this board, but trading him is a mistake for Phil's reason above. You're not packaging him for someone who can take his minute and be as effective on the scoresheet as he is. It's simply not going to happen. Watching him sucks and I think he has been particularly virulent this postseason, but he's a player we would need to replace and can't the way we're built right now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,548
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    What I bolded simply isn't true. He was second on the team in assists, and 3rd on the team in points this past season. He has been consistent in his point production as in past years. Hayes, Miller and Zib are more of an issue here than Step is. All 3 are getting new contracts with in the next year or two, and all 3 haven't produced in the second half of the season and here is the post season. Step may be having an off year, but so does every player. You don't dump a guy for 1 bad season who has been one of the teams top players over the past couple of years. Also, you move Step, you have a huge hole to fill on the team, a hole no one we have can fill.
    But thing is if you give Lindberg or somebody else his ice time, his PP time and top end wings, would they approach his production? His number don't happen in a void but in the situations he plays within. He isn't aggressive, always makes that senseless extra pass, his PP nonsense is INFURIATING.

    Simply it's tremendously depressing to know over the last few years we dealt Dubinsky and Brassard and kept and overpaid Stepan. Same thing though; those things don't happen in a void and may be we don't get Nash with Stepan and further Ottawa scouted the Rangers well enough to not take Stepan. Suspect they will protect him form Vegas but doubt Vegas would want him.

    Stepan's nightly postgame empty cheap happytalk yapping; bad enough when you could do something on ice you fail, please shut the f___ up.

  8. #8
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Shane Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    11,290
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Here's the real question you're not accounting for — if you trade Stepan, who takes his matchups?

    I love Lindberg, but there's no way he can stand up to the rigors of playing against the best the league has to offer night in and night out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    We don't know that though. AV has never given Lindberg that kind of ice time/opportunity to develop into that role. I'm not saying Lindberg's a 1/2 center but I don't think anyone can honestly say what his ceiling is.

    Stepan on the other hand has gotten all the ice time possible and he does nothing with it. Look, I get the guy is consistent with his point production, but he's put and paid to be in a top line center role and doesn't fulfill that. Yes he's got a pretty damn good hockey IQ and he's a solid defense player, but a non factor in other aspects.

    I will acknowledge that the solution to this problem is rather complicated. Top line centers aren't easily come by and we don't have anyone on this team who can automatically step into that role. That being said I would definitely explore trading him for another center in a package deal.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    3,805
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I hate Stepan as much as anyone on this board, but trading him is a mistake for Phil's reason above. You're not packaging him for someone who can take his minute and be as effective on the scoresheet as he is. It's simply not going to happen. Watching him sucks and I think he has been particularly virulent this postseason, but he's a player we would need to replace and can't the way we're built right now.
    understand your point but i respectfully disagree. He's not good at faceoffs, doesn't play with an edge and becomes invisible way to much for my liking.

    considering we signed Grabner off the scrap heap last year i'd hardly call steps a must keep. you can find penalty killers galore at cheaper levels.

    in truth, outside of Mac and Zucc i'd talk about trading pretty much everyone else on the roster.

  10. #10
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,062
    Rep Power
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    We don't know that though. AV has never given Lindberg that kind of ice time/opportunity to develop into that role. I'm not saying Lindberg's a 1/2 center but I don't think anyone can honestly say what his ceiling is.

    Stepan on the other hand has gotten all the ice time possible and he does nothing with it. Look, I get the guy is consistent with his point production, but he's put and paid to be in a top line center role and doesn't fulfill that. Yes he's got a pretty damn good hockey IQ and he's a solid defense player, but a non factor in other aspects.

    I will acknowledge that the solution to this problem is rather complicated. Top line centers aren't easily come by and we don't have anyone on this team who can automatically step into that role. That being said I would definitely explore trading him for another center in a package deal.
    We do know that. Lindberg shows great promise in a limited role. That's a far cry from first line center against the best the NHL has to offer.

    You're asking a guy who plays with Glass and Fast to step up and all of a sudden become a 60-point top line center.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #11
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,583
    Rep Power
    110
    Does Stepan really go up against the other teams best players on a regular basis? I'm sure there some advance stat corsi mumbo jumbo that can verify that.


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  12. #12
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,039
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    But thing is if you give Lindberg or somebody else his ice time, his PP time and top end wings, would they approach his production? His number don't happen in a void but in the situations he plays within. He isn't aggressive, always makes that senseless extra pass, his PP nonsense is INFURIATING.

    Simply it's tremendously depressing to know over the last few years we dealt Dubinsky and Brassard and kept and overpaid Stepan. Same thing though; those things don't happen in a void and may be we don't get Nash with Stepan and further Ottawa scouted the Rangers well enough to not take Stepan. Suspect they will protect him form Vegas but doubt Vegas would want him.

    Stepan's nightly postgame empty cheap happytalk yapping; bad enough when you could do something on ice you fail, please shut the f___ up.
    This whole thing where no one wants him is a little ridiculous. If no one wants him, how is he going to be traded? Many teams would want Stepan. He is a good two way player. I don't give a fuck what players say in post game to the press. Have you ever heard Dubinsky and Brassard talk? It sounded he same, it's what every player says to the media. Who in the NHL is exciting to listen to post game? You say we should have kept Dubi and Brassard and Stepan is over paid, yet, have you seen both of their stats since getting high contracts and since they left the Rangers?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,548
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    This whole thing where no one wants him is a little ridiculous. If no one wants him, how is he going to be traded? Many teams would want Stepan. He is a good two way player. I don't give a fuck what players say in post game to the press. Have you ever heard Dubinsky and Brassard talk? It sounded he same, it's what every player says to the media. Who in the NHL is exciting to listen to post game? You say we should have kept Dubi and Brassard and Stepan is over paid, yet, have you seen both of their stats since getting high contracts and since they left the Rangers?
    I understand perfectly well what players say to the media after any game is mostly nonsense and really not substantive. Still find Stepan's happytalk nonsense irritating as hell.

    Again, stats and production don't happen in a vacuum. Neither you or I know how Dubinsky or Brassard would produce if you give them Stepan's opportunities. Do know however based on yesterday anyway would rather still have Brassard and it's not even close. In the playoffs it's about getting to the net to make things happen. Brassard does that, Stepan is content to stay on the outside and pass it around the perimeter.

  14. #14
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,039
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    I understand perfectly well what players say to the media after any game is mostly nonsense and really not substantive. Still find Stepan's happytalk nonsense irritating as hell.

    Again, stats and production don't happen in a vacuum. Neither you or I know how Dubinsky or Brassard would produce if you give them Stepan's opportunities. Do know however based on yesterday anyway would rather still have Brassard and it's not even close. In the playoffs it's about getting to the net to make things happen. Brassard does that, Stepan is content to stay on the outside and pass it around the perimeter.
    They both had that opportunity here. Brass was on the top PP unit as well as Stepan was, and Dubi played with Jagr. Both of them had every opportunity here to shine just as much as Stepan, your grasping at straws here. Dubis game fell way off here, and Brassard was just as streaky as Stepan. I'd rather have Brass over Zib, but Brass and Step were pretty much playing the same minutes and given the same opportunities, and you can even argue that Brass had better line mates when he was here. As for the playoffs, Stepan has been a far better player in his career playoff wise than Brassard has. Your hate for Stepan is taking away from the facts, and you can't simply disregard stats, that is the main thing to look at when comparing these guys.

    If you truly want someone that complain about these playoffs, look at Zib, Hayes and Miller. They have been just as bad as Stepan, with Hayes and Miller being far worse, and all 3 will be looking for paydays this summer or next. They are far more the issue IMO.
    Last edited by NYR2711; 05-07-2017 at 12:17 PM.

  15. #15
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Shane Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    11,290
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    We do know that. Lindberg shows great promise in a limited role. That's a far cry from first line center against the best the NHL has to offer.

    You're asking a guy who plays with Glass and Fast to step up and all of a sudden become a 60-point top line center.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I don't follow stats so I can't verify that for you but can you? I don't recall ever seeing Lindbergs minutes really extended outside 3/4th line play.

  16. #16
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,062
    Rep Power
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Does Stepan really go up against the other teams best players on a regular basis? I'm sure there some advance stat corsi mumbo jumbo that can verify that.


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Yes. He plays the toughest matchups of all the Rangers centers and still finds a way to score 60 points a season. I get he's boring and slow but he's also reliably consistent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #17
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,039
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yes. He plays the toughest matchups of all the Rangers centers and still finds a way to score 60 points a season. I get he's boring and slow but he's also reliably consistent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    This is exactly why I don't understand why people want him moved. He is far from the problem on this team. Yes he is having a bad playoffs, and he has admitted that he sucked so far, but IMO, it's not enough to just get rid of him.

  18. #18
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,062
    Rep Power
    357

    What is Stepan Worth?

    He has a big contract. That's generally all that's required to want a player traded. I'm not against the idea of moving him at all. I just don't think they can do it without bringing back another to six center. Think Brassard/Zibanejad.

    Not that I think the teams match up well, but Minnesota would be interesting if they're willing to deal Coyle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #19
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,039
    Rep Power
    74
    Of course if the deal is right you make the move, it to make the move just to make the move makes no sense to me. I move any player for the right deal, even Mac.

  20. #20
    Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,637
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yes. He plays the toughest matchups of all the Rangers centers and still finds a way to score 60 points a season. I get he's boring and slow but he's also reliably consistent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Pretty much this. Top players don't have very good opportunities when Stepan is out most of the time. He's a very good shutdown center when you think about how well he's able to contain other top forwards. He's very vanilla in his way of doing it and his inability to win faceoffs makes it seem like he's not a good defensive player.

    Stepan has had a terrible overall season. Statistically, it's the worst season he's had since his sophomore campaign. Part of me wants to believe that something is wrong because the entire season something has just seemed more off than usual. This is a guy who has been pacing 60+ points per season up until this year. I think it could have just been one of those years. Players don't suddenly regress at 26 when they've been otherwise consistent. That's not discrediting how bad of a season Stepan has had. I just think it's been a weird year and there might be some explanation for it.

    I think dealing him is something that needs to be considered, but you need someone that can slot into his defensive role. That's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •