Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What is Stepan Worth?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

What is Stepan Worth?

You need to play him with speedy wingers to make up for his lack of speed, similar to Hayes. Maybe Kreider?

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Nash - Joe - Buch
    Kreider - zib - zucc
    Vesey - Step - Miller
    Grabner - Oscar - Jesper

Trade Hayes+ for a Trouba/Dumba.

Step fits as a 3rd line center. Take a lot of DZ-draws and be a big part of the PK. I guess you could argue that it will be too much money down the middle, but give Joe a 2 years contract, we find a way to make it work this year and next year Nash's 7.8m is byebye and hopefully one of G/Staal is gone.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Nash - Joe - Buch
    Kreider - zib - zucc
    Vesey - Step - Miller
    Grabner - Oscar - Jesper

Trade Hayes+ for a Trouba/Dumba.

Step fits as a 3rd line center. Take a lot of DZ-draws and be a big part of the PK. I guess you could argue that it will be too much money down the middle, but give Joe a 2 years contract, we find a way to make it work this year and next year Nash's 7.8m is byebye and hopefully one of G/Staal is gone.
    I could live with those combinations, but Joe is not a #1C any more - or at least, you cant go into a season depending on him being one. Him with Nash and Buch is fine, but that's got to almost exclusively be a unit that starts in the O-zone and plays against lesser-quality players, despite how good Nash is defensively. This lineup essentially puts Step and Miller on your checking line, so probably Vesey and Nash would switch.

Vesey-Step-Nash
    Kreids-Zib-Zucc
    Miller-Thornton-Buch
    Fast-Lind-Grab

That could be a devastating lineup.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Agreed.

Depending on price, he wouldn't be a bad addition. Give him a high percentage of OZS and PP time, and his lack of skating shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just really don't know who he'd play with. Buch/Miller, maybe, but that would put Hayes in a top-6 role and idk if I'm super comfortable with that.
    Rick Nash. 100%. They've shown chemistry overseas playing together in lockouts and on various Canadian squads.

Vesey/Thornton/Nash
    Kreider/Zibanejad/Buchnevich
    Miller/Hayes/Zucc
    Grabner/Lindberg/Fast

I'd literally just swap him with Stepan outright.

Both top-six units would probably need to play an equal time at ES to handle the rigors of the season, though.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    How has Thornton caught on, lol? We're trying to get younger, faster, rebuild on the fly. Giving up Stepan and picking up Thornton is literally the opposite of that.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

What is Stepan Worth?

I qualified the specific instance in which I'd sign him. Don't mistake that with beating the drum for him.

Also, the idea of giving up Stepan (also not a drum I'm beating) is specific to acquiring a top RD—the team's most pressing need.

In that instance, Thornton qualifies as an acceptable free agent signing to back fill Stepan's role in the short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I qualified the specific instance in which I'd sign him. Don't mistake that with beating the drum for him.

Also, the idea of giving up Stepan (also not a drum I'm beating) is specific to acquiring a top RD—the team's most pressing need.

In that instance, Thornton qualifies as an acceptable free agent signing to back fill Stepan's role in the short term.

Someone mentioned some where signing him to a 3-year deal, lol. I mean that's not short term for a guy that just had a terrible year and a terrible injury.

Honestly, there isn't a scenario where he makes sense. Even with Stepan gone, I'd rather have Zib, Hayes, Miller/Lindberg, Nieves than Thornton. The guy should retire. Not sign another deal with the NYR.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Someone mentioned some where signing him to a 3-year deal, lol. I mean that's not short term for a guy that just had a terrible year and a terrible injury.

Honestly, there isn't a scenario where he makes sense. Even with Stepan gone, I'd rather have Zib, Hayes, Miller/Lindberg, Nieves than Thornton. The guy should retire. Not sign another deal with the NYR.
    I did. I'm basing that on a combination of the fact he's signed three-year deals with the Sharks for years (and it's believed he has another on the table should he choose to return), and because I just don't see why he'd leave San José on a one-year deal to go to the East where he hasn't played since he was with the Bruins more than a decade ago. He's going to want some long-term security given he'll be needing to move his family.

The problem with going with Zibanejad, Hayes, Lindberg, and X is it's not a playoff depth of center. Because there is no depth to it. That unit is one injury away from forcibly injecting a clear bottom-six center into a top-six role. I also seriously question whether Zibanejad is capable of taking on the same quality of competition as Stepan, who manages to do so while still succeeding to the tune of rougly 60 points every season. Ditto Hayes.

Moving Stepan to me would have a similar result that the Rangers experienced walking away from Strålman.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I did. I'm basing that on a combination of the fact he's signed three-year deals with the Sharks for years (and it's believed he has another on the table should he choose to return), and because I just don't see why he'd leave San José on a one-year deal to go to the East where he hasn't played since he was with the Bruins more than a decade ago. He's going to want some long-term security given he'll be needing to move his family.

The problem with going with Zibanejad, Hayes, Lindberg, and X is it's not a playoff depth of center. Because there is no depth to it. That unit is one injury away from forcibly injecting a clear bottom-six center into a top-six role. I also seriously question whether Zibanejad is capable of taking on the same quality of competition as Stepan, who manages to do so while still succeeding to the tune of rougly 60 points every season. Ditto Hayes.

Moving Stepan to me would have a similar result that the Rangers experienced walking away from Strålman.
    I understand all of this EXCEPT the point that Thornton is somehow an upgrade. He's 37. He just put up his worst season since 1999 lol. Yes, maybe a year or two ago, he's a stop gap option. Not now. Not after a terrible year. Not after two surgeries. If the Rangers are going to move Stepan, they need to have an answer at center and it has to be better than Joe Fucking Thornton. If they move Stepan for a D they need a game plan and if that game plan is for Thornton I'm going lose my shit. It makes absolutely no sense for a team looking to get younger and more skilled to sign a 37 year old candidate for retirement. Thats a Rangers move from 2002, not 20017.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

What is Stepan Worth?

He's not an upgrade. He's an adequate/reliable top-six center who can platoon with Zibanejad on an interim basis, backfilling Stepan's role, likely to a slightly lesser degree of success.

If they're moving Stepan, there problem is they create one hole to fill another. With not enough reserves to justify it.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    He's not an upgrade. He's an adequate/reliable top-six center who can platoon with Zibanejad on an interim basis, backfilling Stepan's role, likely to a slightly lesser degree of success.

If they're moving Stepan, there problem is they create one hole to fill another. With not enough reserves to justify it.

If he wasn't coming off a torn mcl/acl I'd probably agree. But the recovery from that is what? 6 months? I wouldn't risk it.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie

He can sign a 1 year deal, and leave his family where they are for 1 season. It happens all the time. Not sure where the myth comes from that the whole family packs up the station wagon and leaves every time a player gets traded or signs somewhere. He's 37, and coming off a serious surgery. This could be it for him. Give him a deal with incentive bonuses.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    He can sign a 1 year deal, and leave his family where they are for 1 season. It happens all the time. Not sure where the myth comes from that the whole family packs up the station wagon and leaves every time a player gets traded or signs somewhere. He's 37, and coming off a serious surgery. This could be it for him. Give him a deal with incentive bonuses.
    Agreed.

Though I think the 3-year deal has some validity. There's probably a team or two out there willing to give years at a lower AAV. I mean, he could sign with NYR at 1 year for $5m or go to, say, Nashville, for 3 years at $2.5m per year. I think both are equally valid, and the fact that he's going to miss a chunk of next year, most likely, probably means that the second contract would have more value for both Thornton and the team he signs with.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I wouldn't sign him to more than a 1 year deal simply because he is 37 and will be coming off a major surgery. You give him a long term deal, and he can't keep up playing and retires, the team is screwed with his cap hit.

Senior Member Mite Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Duchene we have to trade for as opposed to Thornton who's a free agent and wouldn't cost anything but money. I'd go after Oshie---he's a UFA, he's 28, has good speed, can score, hustles, doesn't shy away from contact and most importantly he's a right handed shot--something we lack on the PP.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    Duchene we have to trade for as opposed to Thornton who's a free agent and wouldn't cost anything but money. I'd go after Oshie---he's a UFA, he's 28, has good speed, can score, hustles, doesn't shy away from contact and most importantly he's a right handed shot--something we lack on the PP.

I wanted Oshie 4 years ago. He plays in every situation, plays a complete game, puts up points, and had a great contract. His wife is hot too
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I understand all of this EXCEPT the point that Thornton is somehow an upgrade. He's 37. He just put up his worst season since 1999 lol. Yes, maybe a year or two ago, he's a stop gap option. Not now. Not after a terrible year. Not after two surgeries. If the Rangers are going to move Stepan, they need to have an answer at center and it has to be better than Joe Fucking Thornton. If they move Stepan for a D they need a game plan and if that game plan is for Thornton I'm going lose my shit. It makes absolutely no sense for a team looking to get younger and more skilled to sign a 37 year old candidate for retirement. Thats a Rangers move from 2002, not 20017.
    How much younger does this team need to get? This team could use a veteran leader. Yeah sure, it'd be nice to add top tier youth to the roster, but there isn't much available.

You only sign Thornton if you trade Stepan for a young top pairing D man. I don't see how it's this horrible idea. I've already stated why and how it would work as far as talent goes. His WORST year and he put up similar stats to Stepan. No, he doesn't play a "200' game", but he might improve other aspects of this teams game, like the PP and faceoffs.

Is it the best idea ever? No. Is it manageable as a stop gap move that isn't damaging to the teams not too distant future? I don't see it as bad at all.

Thornton at 2 years 4 mill each, with incentives? Get a young PP QB for Stepan? How damaging can this be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post

Oshie is 30 and the Andrew Ladd contract (7 years, $38.5m, $5.5m AAV) is the minimum contract he'll get.

I like Oshie, but hard pass on that.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910