Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What is Stepan Worth?

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't think the idea of moving Stepan or Hayes, promoting Lindberg, and backfilling with a vet is anywhere close to sacrilege. There are lots of instances where Phil, myself and others have all said that it could be done.

Also...link?

Fixed.

I banged that out in a hurry as the lunch bell rang and the barricades were temporarily lifted to allow workers to strap a feedbag on.

P.S. OK. Glad not sacrilegious -- read a post somewhere that had me feeling like I dare not even broach it. It's not something I relish as I like the dude, and if he could promise to earnestly adjust his approach to the game ... but I see the same habits that look unbreakable ... the most unbearable of which is taking a long nap before getting a well-telegraphed shot off. Yep, sometimes those go in, but most of them have an advanced shipping notice (ASN) preceding them that derails most any element of surprise.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 06-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't think the idea of moving Stepan or Hayes, promoting Lindberg, and backfilling with a vet is anywhere close to sacrilege. There are lots of instances where Phil, myself and others have all said that it could be done.

Also...link?
    I'm not actively promoting moving Stepan. I'd like that to be clear. But in the event he's moved to acquire a much-needed RD, there are a few solutions to backfill. Signing Joe Thornton to a short-term deal to stopgap the loss being among the best of them. Hanzal (3/4C), Winnik (not a center), Desharnais (3C), Boyle (4C), etc. aren't options to fill his role. They're option to backfill the backfill, which puts a ton of pressure on Zibanejad to take on the best the game has to offer (something he's never done before), and on Hayes to take a massive step as a full-time top-six center.

Signing anyone who isn't a top-six center tomorrow to fill the void also brings with it the risk of the Rangers icing a non-playoff center group in the event of injury to Zibanejad (again).

The way I see it, there are two options. The first is Jumbo. The second is a secondary trade to acquire a top-six center, which itself is a costly move. Centers are, arguably, the second most expensive acquisition in the league right now next to defensemen. I fear that if you went that route, the sum total of moving Stepan for a RD would be massive.

As a purely hypothetical, let's say they did Stepan for Trouba. Great. Thornton signs elsewhere. Uh oh. Now they have to deal for another 2C. Let's say they trade for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. What do you think that's going to cost? Certainly a first-round pick. Plus what, Miller and someone like Fast? Maybe more? Now the deal reads Stepan, Miller, Fast, 1st for Trouba and RNH. It becomes a cumulative nightmare.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    How about

Trouba for Stepan
    Duchene for Miller and a little something.
    Then either commit to Buch and or sign a Marleau, or another stop gap?

Nash - Duchene- Zucc
    Kreider- Zib- Buch
    Marleau- Hayes- Grabner
    Hartford- Lindberg- Fast

McD- Trouba
    Skjei- Smith
    Graves- Girardi

Buyout Staal or Girardi

You go back to the old ways of using your checking lines against top players and you give your talent do what they do. No more top six forwards being top penalty killers, and you rest Girardi like a mother fucker.

One small thing I think we are forgetting is that Stepan now has a NTC.
    Last edited by The Dude; 06-01-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Senior Member Mite Division crossfire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    How about

Trouba for Stepan
    Duchene for Miller and a little something.
    Then either commit to Buch and or sign a Marleau, or another stop gap?

Nash - Duchene- Zucc
    Kreider- Zib- Buch
    Marleau- Hayes- Grabner
    Hartford- Lindberg- Fast

McD- Trouba
    Skjei- Smith
    Graves- Girardi

Buyout Staal or Girardi

You go back to the old ways of using your checking lines against top players and you give your talent do what they do. No more top six forwards being top penalty killers, and you rest Girardi like a mother fucker.

One small thing I think we are forgetting is that Stepan now has a NTC.
    Doesn't his NTC kick in on July 1st?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Doesn't his NTC kick in on July 1st?
    I thought it would start once their season was over. You may be correct though.

And I somehow forgot Vesey....
    Last edited by The Dude; 06-02-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011