Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Stepan Worth?

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    So the idea is get older and less productive? If so, Little fits the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    He's only 29, and produces more than Stepan.
    Little - .64
    Stepan - .45

He's also 4% better career in faceoffs ... 49.3 - 45
    Little PPG 52 PPP 113
    Stepan PPG 28 PPP 96
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    unfortunately the Oilers are getting better now, so maybe the chance is gone, but what about one of their centers? Draisaitl has been on fire this year (maybe because of McDavid, dont know) so I guess they dont want to trade him, but RNH went a little under the radar this year with not a very good year. A first overall pick must have some potensial, maybe a change of team/environment will help him?

I dont like Little very much. Will be 30 at the start of next season and not really an upgrade over Step.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Little is not an upgrade and doesn't play defense. He was a -7 this year despite all of those points. Remember, Stepan's strength is not that he produces points, it's that he consistently does it against the opponent's best lines and keeps them out of the net too. You could sell me on a more defensive guy in exchange for Stepan, since we seem to have a solid offensive core here, but not a less defensive guy.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The guy went 20+ games with out a goal at the end of the season. He has 2 in the playoffs. That's not good enough and if that's not a black hole, then I don't know what is. Try and cut it any way you want. They need more production from his spot. He is what he is, but it's not enough. They need better. Whether it's a more skilled player, a bigger stronger player, a faster player, I don't have that answer. I just think something different. He's just not enough.

I think Zib leads the forwards in points. Hayes and Miller just got new deals.

Stepan being Stepan just isn't enough. They need more of a game changer. Miller IMO is capable of filling right in and doing the same job, with more offense. So, in house there is a possible fill in.

I look to free agency, or for a team that wants to drop a contract or change direction. Maybe the Rangers can package Girardi with Stepan and walk away with one not so good contract for a more skilled player? IDK. Stepan may or may not have value to other teams. Hell, if they can pull off another Brass for Zib type of trade, I'm all for it.

And if they don't win, Maybe it's time to start tearing it all down? Start with Stepan to go along with Girardi Staal and Nash. Then move Kreider. Then everyone.

Maybe I'm over reacting to a bad playoffs by him, but I've kinda always felt this way about Stepan. Nice player. Just not a guy you win with as one of your go to guys.
    Hayes and Miller each have 1 more year on their deals, and Zib is up this summer. You do realize the same time frame your saying Stepan didn't produce, that both Hayes and Miller didn't either. McD leads the team in point for the playoffs, and Zib has 1 more point than Step, but also has only scored 1 goal. I am not denying that Stepan is having a bad year/playoffs, hell even he came out and said he sucked, but he is far from the issue. You talked about Miller and Hayes being the ones who should replace Step, but they have been far worse these playoffs. They each have put up 3 assists. I don't get how they are going to take over Stepans spot, when they aren't producing either. Again, they are also up for new contracts next summer, both have disappeared the second half of the season and through the playoffs. Your saying Miller can be a game changer, yet he hasn't shown any of that yet. Is Stepan the ideal 1st line center, no, but this team lacks it and so far, no one on this team has been able to take that spot from him.

Im not against moving Step for someone that is going to help and fill the void he leaves, but Im not just trading him for the sake of trading him, makes zero sense to leave a massive hole like that in the team without filling it with someone coming back the other way.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I was saying this in the game thread last game... this guy has completely fallen off. Does absolutely nothing productive on the ice anymore. Is slow as hell and just seems to be detriment any time he is around the puck.

And it hurts for me to say this because I thought Stepan was going to be a big player here

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    Stepan for RNH?

Step + for MacKinnon

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Step + Viking for Trouba.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    Done deal! How do you replace Stepan?
    Shoot the puck!

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Step + for MacKinnon
    That is an expensive plus. First-round pick, minimum. Almost certainly more. They're in a full rebuild, especially if they deal their most promising center. They'll want Stepan and Skjei, IMO.

I think you'd have an easier time trying to swing a deal for Duchene, honestly.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

That is an expensive plus. First-round pick, minimum. Almost certainly more. They're in a full rebuild, especially if they deal their most promising center. They'll want Stepan and Skjei, IMO.

I think you'd have an easier time trying to swing a deal for Duchene, honestly.
    My hope would be that while he is just 21, he has had 3 years to surpass his rookie numbers of 24 g 39 a and 63 points and has failed to do so.

Stepan, any 2 prospects of their choosing, 2017 1st rounder, and 2018 3rd rounder(put a condition on it to move up a round if MacKinnon scores a certain # of points).

As far as Duchene, we'd have him for 2 years before he hits UFA, and if playing on a good team gets him back to 30 g and 70 points he'd be due a raise. Mackinnon is 5 years younger and locked in for 6 more years $200k cheaper than Stepan.
    Last edited by Long live the King; 05-08-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Stepan, Buchnevich, Skjei, 1st, 3rd for MacKinnon? I'm out. I'm out at Skjei.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Stepan, Buchnevich, Skjei, 1st, 3rd for MacKinnon? I'm out. I'm out at Skjei.
    Should have clarified...prospects from our farm system. So Buch, Vesey, and Skjei excluded.

Not sure they'd bite. Rangers don't have much by way of impact on the pipe. Again, I think they'd go after a package of Stepan and Skjei hard.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Not sure they'd bite. Rangers don't have much by way of impact on the pipe. Again, I think they'd go after a package of Stepan and Skjei hard.
    Couldn't hurt to ask...

What about

Skjei for MacKinnon and Step + for Trouba

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I don't deal Skjei in my opinion.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division leetchy2's Avatar
    Stepan + Miller for William Nylander

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Couldn't hurt to ask...

What about

Skjei for MacKinnon and Step + for Trouba
    On paper maybe, but the plus would matter a lot. Not to mention this means a lot more against the cap in a shorter time frame once you account for the Trouba extension.

Quote Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
    Stepan + Miller for William Nylander
    Massive cap complications due to raises to the core coming in a year.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I rather trade McD before Skjei. But I've said a rebuild is necessary since the beginning, that includes Hank going. Few good young pieces here, add to it and make a similar style team, faster and younger though.

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Hayes and Miller each have 1 more year on their deals, and Zib is up this summer. You do realize the same time frame your saying Stepan didn't produce, that both Hayes and Miller didn't either. McD leads the team in point for the playoffs, and Zib has 1 more point than Step, but also has only scored 1 goal. I am not denying that Stepan is having a bad year/playoffs, hell even he came out and said he sucked, but he is far from the issue. You talked about Miller and Hayes being the ones who should replace Step, but they have been far worse these playoffs. They each have put up 3 assists. I don't get how they are going to take over Stepans spot, when they aren't producing either. Again, they are also up for new contracts next summer, both have disappeared the second half of the season and through the playoffs. Your saying Miller can be a game changer, yet he hasn't shown any of that yet. Is Stepan the ideal 1st line center, no, but this team lacks it and so far, no one on this team has been able to take that spot from him.

Im not against moving Step for someone that is going to help and fill the void he leaves, but Im not just trading him for the sake of trading him, makes zero sense to leave a massive hole like that in the team without filling it with someone coming back the other way.
    Point is it's not this massive hole to fill. Miller and Hates are younger and cheaper and look to be able to put up the a similar amount of points in a season, with probably a little less icetime. They can't keep them all. Someone has to go. I'd rather the slower, older, and more expensive guy be moved while he has value. The style Miller and Hayes play are more suited for today's NHL.

I'm not saying trade Stepan just to do it. I'm saying it's to help the team by cutting some cap space, taking that inevitable step in making a significant change up front, and sending a message to the roster that everybody is tradeable and that losing isn't ok.

Do the Rangers want to continue forcing the issue, by sticking this guy on the top line, with the top talent, and kinda bringing down the top talent to his level?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast