Thread: Bottom Line, AV is the Problem

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Who else was the ice besides Glass, Staal and Smith

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Step and Zucc

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by jrc64 View Post
    They've scored 17 goals the last 4 games, including 5 in game 2 loss and 4 in game 5 loss. Not so sure scoring is the issue here. You score 4 or 5 goals in an NHL playoff game, you need to win those games. At the VERY LEAST, one of them.
    The point is, the players are as much to blame as AV. Yes, I think AV is playing the wrong players at the wrong time, but other players are just not playing up to their full ability. It's a two way street, and ultimately the players on the ice are giving up the goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    The point is, the players are as much to blame as AV. Yes, I think AV is playing the wrong players at the wrong time, but other players are just not playing up to their full ability. It's a two way street, and ultimately the players on the ice are giving up the goals.

AV doesn't just decide on the personnel on the ice, he also determines the strategy to use in different game situations. The players aren't deciding to drop back into a 1-3-1 or 1-2-2 to try to protect a lead late, it's AV. As much as the player selection in these situations are concerning, so is the overall strategy which keeps failing to work in the post season.

The Rangers' team defense is simply not strong enough to play that way. That's why all of these "lucky" late goals find themselves in the back of the net. A better strategy for the way this team is constructed would be to keep the foot on the gas more in all three zones. Keep the puck deep in the offensive zone as much as possible, while also threatening offense against the opposing team's attack so they have to be mindful of it. Attack in the neutral zone and break up plays there. Attack at the blue lines. And when the other team gets into the zone, attack there too.

All of these goals against late are because of passive play. You have one of the fastest teams in the league and you're instructing them to give up their speed advantage for a system they don't have the tools to play.

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    Anyone see that stat that Staal and Girardi have been on the ice for so many goals against this series?
    Trying to find it

Staal and Girardi have been on the ice for 13 of New York’s 15 against in just five games in this series

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by !br-avery! View Post
    Anyone see that stat that Staal and Girardi have been on the ice for so many goals against this series?
    Trying to find it

Senior Member Junior Division
    “Maybe the guys didn’t know their goaltender was coming (out,) but it was less than two minutes and (Ottawa’s) down by a goal... Should expect it, but maybe they got caught there not knowing the goalie was out.”
    -AV

Uhhhhh... Hey coach, you've blown THREE last minute leads. You've blown multiple goal leads. You're telling me the players don't know the other team is going to pull the goalie?

C'mon now. We're all too smart for that shit.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

AV Hurting Rangers By Going With Older Players At Crunch Time

This playoffs, Rangers fans are asking: How many times can a coach continue to be burned by his late-game decisions before he sees the light? Vigneault has benched rookie defenseman Brady Skjei at crunch time twice this series in games 2 and 5, allowing the Ottawa Senators to storm back from behind to force overtime and win both games. Skjei was benched for the final 5:04 of the third period in Game 5 on Saturday.

It was the same tactic that saw the Rangers lose Game 2 of the Montreal series in overtime. The Blueshirts were able to send the Canadiens packing in Round 1, but now they have their backs against the wall this time, trailing the Sens 3-2.

Skjei is having a monster of a series. He’s making all the right plays in the defensive end, leading the rush and generating offense. The 23-year-old is tied for the NHL playoff lead among defensemen with four goals and has recorded three points in the last four games, as well as five points in the last nine contests. Shouldn’t he be getting the Dumolin treatment – aka a reward for his fine play?

Instead, Skjei finished Game 5 as the low man in defensive minutes at 19:02 TOI. Marc Staal and Brendan Smith were on the ice when former Ranger Derick Brassard tied Game 5 with 1:26 remaining in regulation. Captain Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi were deployed when Kyle Turris notched the overtime winner.

Staal and Girardi’s legs have slowed with age and the amount of punishment absorbed by their bodies over the years. At ages 30 and 33, respectively, the veteran duo continues to be counted on by Vigneault at the most crucial of late-game situations, and the 55-year-old coach isn’t backing down from his belief in two players who have logged 224 combined playoff appearances.
    “These guys have seen it before, and in the past, a lot of times they have responded real well,” Vigneault said when he was asked specifically about Staal and Girardi. “I put a lot of faith and trust in how they’re going to play in those pressure situations. That’s it. (I’ve) got a lot of faith in these guys’ abilities to get it done.”

Yet, statistics tell a different story. The Rangers’ goals against per 60 minutes is 1.89 when either Staal, Girardi or both are off the ice. That figure swells to 3.91 when Staal, Girardi or both are on the ice. (Stick tap to Ryan Lambert of Yahoo for these statistics.)
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...s-crunch-time/
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Also, this is super relevant here:

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    JFC

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect

Says something when it's not just the fans making this argument now doesn't it?

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

Senior Member Junior Division

This makes me sad.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

It makes me mad.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

2014 was their year. Simple as that.

I'll take that to my grave if they never win again (luckily I enjoyed 94' at about 16 years old).

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    2014 was their year. Simple as that.

I'll take that to my grave if they never win again (luckily I enjoyed 94' at about 16 years old).
    I was born in September of 94...never got the chance...😫

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'll never read Alive in 94 the same again.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    I was born in September of 94...never got the chance...

I feel for you younger guys here. Hardcore fans and so much disappointment to show for it.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Thanks haha.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    I was born in September of 94...never got the chance...��
    I'll never read Alive in 94 the same again.

This, lmao

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    The problem is that Ottawa has gotten very lucky to tie games at the 11th Hour. In inch either way on any of the three late tying goals and the Rangers win the best of nine series 5-0 and AV is a genius.

I'm pretty sick of him, it's been awhile and I've had my fill of the look of his teams so he can go anytime, but they aren't losing because the coach is a moron. They're losing because they just haven't had a lot of luck in the final seconds and they haven't gotten that save when they needed it. That's just the way this shit works. You give them your best and hope for the best but sometimes the best team doesn't win.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast