#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    To where?
    And for whom?
    Sign a RHD to trade for another RHD?
    Call David Poile please.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    So pretty much every single one since the lockout.

Personally, I have not been impressed with his play for the Capitals and worry about how he would fit in on a team where he would need to be the guy (i.e. first pairing) on the back end, which, as Future pointed out, has never been his role before.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    To where?
    And for whom?
    Sign a RHD to trade for another RHD?
    Call David Poile please.
    We are talking about former players the rangers signed/traded for

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

//reported Junior Division
    Oh, lol. I thought that post about signing and trading was about Shatty. Whoops...

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Oh, lol. I thought that post about signing and trading was about Shatty. Whoops...
    but when was the last sign and trade in this league? People always talk about it like it's a realistic option, but as far as I know, it just doesn't happen.

All I know is that when I do it in NHL17, I get a talking to from my owner.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Lol. I agree, let the prospects/KHL signings push us, not one guy that will prevent us from restocking our prospect depth due to a hefty contract.

No Eric Staal 2.0 please!

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Lol. I agree, let the prospects/KHL signings push us, not one guy that will prevent us from restocking our prospect depth due to a hefty contract.

Who would we trade for also?

Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post

The only difference between Staal and Shatty is when you get the player.
    I'm not big on deadline deals. The TDL is way too late in the NHL. You bring in a guy for 6 weeks and expect him to be amazing and learn the new system, etc.
    Staal didn't work with us.
    Yandle took a while (he wasn't good at the TDL and that season, he was good in the following full season).
    MSL took a while.
    Statty's not really doing that great in WAS.

So, comparing picking up Shatty over the summer as a free agent isn't the same as signing Staal at the deadline. Keep in mind what Staal did this year in a full season with MIN.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I ran the Coyotes and my owner wanted my player salary to be lower than the cap floor, lol. Probably not untrue.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Good point. I'm wary of this idea though of a quick fix to the D. If Shattenkirk is a game-breaker, bring him, because we NEED a player like that. Net front presence type players might hp just as much and cost less. That's another issue we have.

No easy solutions here. I dunno what we do lol.

Senior Member Mite Division Progrocker's Avatar
    I'm not big on deadline deals. The TDL is way too late in the NHL. You bring in a guy for 6 weeks and expect him to be amazing and learn the new system
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Progrocker; 05-02-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Shattenkirk can't play 1st pair minutes - or at least he never has - and I don't think he has the defensive chutzpah to do so. To me, you can't give a guy $6.5-7m to run a powerplay and get sheltered minutes.

If he really wants to be a Ranger and will come in at $5m or so, that's a different discussion.
    Pretty much sums up my feelings right here. I'm basically on the fence when it comes to this signing, because we also don't know if Shattenkirk would excel in this system. He could end up being just fine next McDonagh.

If I'm Gorton I don't offer some 6-7 million contract like other teams will. If he really wants to play in NY, somwhere in the 5.5 mil ballpark is as high as I would go. Wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for something like Yandle got though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    Pretty much sums up my feelings right here. I'm basically on the fence when it comes to this signing, because we also don't know if Shattenkirk would excel in this system. He could end up being just fine next McDonagh.

If I'm Gorton I don't offer some 6-7 million contract like other teams will. If he really wants to play in NY, somwhere in the 5.5 mil ballpark is as high as I would go. Wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for something like Yandle got though.
    Cant you say that about pretty much every single signing? No one knows how any draft pick, free agent signing would pan out.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Cant you say that about pretty much every single signing? No one knows how any draft pick, free agent signing would pan out.
    I mean, yea. But AV's system is pretty much tailored exactly to Shatty's skillset. I don't think we'd have to worry about production with him. I think the concern would be whether that production is sufficient to hide defensive flaws so that he can play on the first pair and if that's worth $6m or whatever.

He could come here, be a 50-point defenseman, and not even sniff being worth the contract.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    So pretty much every single one since the lockout.

Personally, I have not been impressed with his play for the Capitals and worry about how he would fit in on a team where he would need to be the guy (i.e. first pairing) on the back end, which, as Future pointed out, has never been his role before.
    He doesn't need to be the guy, though. Only on the PP. McDonagh will still hold that title (likely emeritus at this rate). But there's reason to be concerned about his even strength minutes, sure. If I recall, he was boosting his total TOI with STL largely due to feasting on PP opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker View Post
    Agreed.
    Yep. I hate that everyone seems to wait but I get that if you're a seller you wanna wait and know that you're out of it before letting go of a key player.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post

No way he's signing for 5.5... it's going to his last big payday. Especially with the crazy high cost of living on NY. think he gets at minimum 6.5

The Rangers are going to front-load the deal heavily no matter what. Cost of living won't be a problem. He'll probably be making $10M or more per season for the first few years of the deal between signing bonuses and salary. In fact, like most new deals, I'm willing to bet the contract structure is majority signing bonus (making it buyout proof and lockout proof).
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Brendan Smith Or Kevin Shattenkirk For The New York Rangers?

The way things have turned out, perhaps the Rangers are better off with Brendan Smith instead of Kevin Shattenkirk, the apple of contenders' eyes at the trade deadline. And that is not a slight against Shattenkirk, rather a recognition that Smith in these playoffs has been everything the Rangers hoped, a sharp blue-liner with plenty of bite, and some bark to go along with it.

Both players enter unrestricted free agency this summer, and the longer Smith plays this effectively the higher a priority he should be becoming for the Rangers' offseason plans. Smith says he's not thinking beyond the playoffs, but he did allow that he could see himself sticking around New York.

"Yeah, for sure. I enjoy it here," Smith told the Daily News. "I like the guys, I think the team is really good, and we're only gonna get better with all the young players."

Smith, the 28-year-old whom the Rangers acquired at the deadline for a 2018 second-rounder and a 2017 third-rounder, is on the final year of a contract which carries a $2.75 million cap hit. He'll get a raise but likely less than Shattenkirk, whose offensive skill-set will net him a pretty penny. There will, however, be a number of teams seeking a guy like Smith who is versatile - a lefty comfortably playing the right side - aggressive, determined, can handle the puck solidly and is a positive presence in the locker room.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...JTasch+Twitter
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast