Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Sign [D] Neal Pionk to 2-Year/$1.850M Contract; $925K AAV

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar

Rangers Sign [D] Neal Pionk to 2-Year/$1.850M Contract; $925K AAV

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...06793024303104

Per Elliotte Friedman, the Rangers have made a big splash in the undrafted free agent market. They have signed defenseman Neal Pionk of Minnesota-Duluth to en entry level deal, a much sought after UDFA. Josh profiled him last month, and that’s definitely worth the read. For the cliff notes version: Pionk is a right handed puck moving defenseman that put up 34 (7-27-34) points in 42 games as one of the NCAA’s top scoring defensemen. He was also a second team All Star.
    http://blueseatblogs.com/2017/05/01/...an-neal-pionk/

Senior Member Junior Division
    Gorton has done well grabbing these players. With such a depleted system, these guys are all worth the risk.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

//reported Junior Division
    Cool. I'll take it.
    Predators > Anaheim > Pens/Sens >>>>>>>>>> NYR Hidden Content

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Gorton has done well grabbing these players. With such a depleted system, these guys are all worth the risk.
    Thing is, with all these high-profile NCAA free agents signings, what it really tells me is that he's more than aware the defense is bad. There's no way these guys are foregoing easier paths to the NHL to sign with the Rangers if there isn't some assurance that they'll be given honest opportunities to make the club.

In an ideal world, they gut the blue line entirely and only bring back McDonagh, Skjei, and preferably Brendan Smith. The only holdover should be Staal, simply because I don't think it's possible to move he and Girardi in the same summer. Holden, Klein, Clendening (I think the Rangers just walk away from him), and Girardi (buyout or miraculous trade) — bye Felicia.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Thanks for the good word señor cosmos (mister cosmic)
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Thing is, with all these high-profile NCAA free agents signings, what it really tells me is that he's more than aware the defense is bad. There's no way these guys are foregoing easier paths to the NHL to sign with the Rangers if there isn't some assurance that they'll be given honest opportunities to make the club.

In an ideal world, they gut the blue line entirely and only bring back McDonagh, Skjei, and preferably Brendan Smith. The only holdover should be Staal, simply because I don't think it's possible to move he and Girardi in the same summer. Holden, Klein, Clendening (I think the Rangers just walk away from him), and Girardi (buyout or miraculous trade) — bye Felicia.
    I agree 100% with all of this. With the Russian kid they signed (too lazy to look up his name) and this kid, plus MAYBE the addition of Shattenkirk, although I'd rather not make that mistake again, I think this summer they make drastic moves on the back end. It has to be done. It needed to be done last year and they couldn't make it work -- this year is HAS to.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Bereglazov. Yeah. I actually think he's making the roster out of camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Wow, this is a pretty big deal. This kid is really, really good. Could be ready to contribute by mid season. This is pretty much Vesey/Hayes level talent and he's a right-shot offensive D. He's immediately our best D prospect by far. This is a way bigger deal than the Russian kid.
    Last edited by TwoMinutesForNothing; 05-02-2017 at 02:03 AM.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017...pionk-kelleher

4. Neal Pionk, Defenseman, Minnesota Duluth

In his sophomore season, the Duluth-area native has developed into the top defenseman for the Bulldogs, who have spent much of the season as one of the top teams in the country.

Pionk is a very good two-way defenseman thanks to his excellent skating ability and agility. He moves the puck up the ice reliably thanks to an ability to spin his way out of traffic and is an excellent outlet passer. His quickness also gives him the confidence to hold the line in the offensive zone, rather than giving up ice to give himself more cushion defensively.

He’s just an okay defender one-on-one against the rush, but has an above average amount of toughness and physicality for a guy that will classify as a smaller defenseman at the next level.
    Craig Custance ✔@CraigCustance
    Another nice college free agent signing by the Rangers in landing defenseman Neal Pionk. He had lots of options.

Scott Powers @ByScottPowers
    Blackhawks were a finalist for Pionk. He could have helped the Hawks soon. Rangers have won a few of these recruiting battles recently. https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/859109623944675329 …2:28 PM - 1 May 2017

AV not going anywhere....

Barrett Anderson @The_BarrettA
    Text from Neal Pionk on why he chose NY Rangers.

"i chose the new york rangers organization because i felt comfortable with the management and style of play that alain vigneault and the rest of the coaching staff wants to play. I also liked their success in previous years along with the opportunity that they represented."
    Last edited by TwoMinutesForNothing; 05-02-2017 at 02:14 AM.

In a year or two a pretty much perfect D corp would be...

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
    Skjei-Smith
    Bereglazov-Pionk

It's nearly flawless and and each player compliments their partner's game so well if the bottom pair guys turn out to be what they are projected to be.

Another kid from Minny. I like that he's not 23 or 24 already. Don't know anything else about him, but you have to think at some point you'll strike gold with one these signings

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Wow, this is a pretty big deal. This kid is really, really good. Could be ready to contribute by mid season.
    Probably could have written the same thing about Gilroy.

Next year, he'll really be competing with Bereglazov and Graves, most likely, for the 6D. He's probably a long shot to make the roster out of camp.

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Probably could have written the same thing about Gilroy.

Next year, he'll really be competing with Bereglazov and Graves, most likely, for the 6D. He's probably a long shot to make the roster out of camp.
    Gilroy signed his deal at 24 and then turned 25 that offseason. He was a forward turned defenseman. Doesn't really compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Gilroy signed his deal at 24 and then turned 25 that offseason. He was a forward turned defenseman. Doesn't really compare.
    In terms of how people thought he would perform right away he does.

Man, I get angry any time i'm reminded of Gilroy. He had an amazing pre-season then dropped off the map completely

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    I mean for Gilroy it was understandable given he was a Hobey Baker and already 25 at the time. Someone like that should be stepping onto the roster or making a push to.

I don't think the expectations for Pionk are as high. His situation isn't really similar to Gilroy's.

I agree... plus, we've had a slew of college signings since then that haven't really panned out. I think expectations are definitely lower for him

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I don't think the expectations for Pionk are as high. His situation isn't really similar to Gilroy's.
    In the post I quoted they were....

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    In the post I quoted they were....
    That's one person.

Not really. It's fine to be skeptical about the ability of NCAA free agents to make an immediate impact, but let's compare apples to apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast